DPF Regen, Yellow Light & Adblue - Whats It All About? -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
DPF Regen, Yellow light & AdBlue - Whats it all about? -

The DFP light is becoming a more apparent issue with modern diesel vans, unfortunately, it’s a fact of modern diesel life.

diesel-particulate-filter-icon.jpg

what is a DPF?

Diesel particulate filters (DPF) are very effective in cutting emissions, trapping even the finest soot particles produced as the engine burns diesel fuel.
Their lifespan is dependent on factors such as fuel quality, driving style, use and oil consumption. The filter uses a catalytic coating containing precious metals. Passive regeneration converts the particulate matter contained in the catalytic converter into CO2. This process takes place at temperatures between 350 and 500°C and can run continuously, particularly if you drive your car mainly on long runs.

1_0x0_790x520_0x520_diesel_particulate_filter_resize.jpg

What causes a diesel particulate filter blockage?
Short journeys at low speeds are the prime cause of blocked diesel particulate filters.

This is why van makers often go as far as recommending city-bound short-hop drivers choose a petrol car instead of diesel (and it’s why diesels are something of a rarity in the city car sector).

Other things that are bad for DPFs include poor servicing. A diesel particulate filter on a poorly serviced car may fail sooner than a well maintained one, generally, they should last for at least 100,000 miles.

It’s important you use the right type of oil as well – some oils contain additives that can actually block filters.

090314_DPF_Lights.jpg

The best way to maintain a DPF is to make sure it’s fully able to regenerate itself when it’s full of soot (when the warning light appears).

There are two types of regeneration: passive and active.

Passive regeneration
Passive regeneration occurs when the car is running at speed on long motorway journeys which allow the exhaust temperature to increase to a higher level and cleanly burn off the excess soot in the filter.

So it is advised that drivers regularly give their diesel vehicle a good 30 to 50 minute run at sustained speed on a motorway or A-road to help clear the filter.

However, not all drivers do this type of driving regularly – which is why manufacturers have designed an alternative form of regeneration.

Active regeneration
Active regeneration means extra fuel is injected automatically, as part of the vehicle's ECU, when a filter reaches a predetermined limit (normally about 45%) to raise the temperature of the exhaust and burn off the stored soot.

Problems can occur, however, if the journey is too short, as the regeneration process may not complete fully.

If this is the case the warning light will continue to show the filter is still partially blocked.

In which case it should be possible to complete a regeneration cycle and clear the warning light by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph.

You will know whether active regeneration is taking place by the following symptoms:

• Engine note change
  • Cooling fans running
  • A slight increase in fuel consumption
  • Increased idle speed
  • Deactivation of automatic Stop/Start
  • A hot, acrid smell from the exhaust
What do I do if neither active nor passive regeneration work?
If your warning light continues to stay on, turns red, or additional DPF lights come on, do not leave it too long before getting it checked out.

More damage can be caused this way and what could be an inexpensive fix can become something much more expensive.

Some garages can clean blocked DPFs, in a process called forced regeneration.

This usually costs around £100 and, while it’s not a 100% guaranteed fix, it’s usually successful in removing the excess soot and allowing the DPF to work and automatically regenerate again.

It’s a failure to correctly regenerate that is the cause of most diesel particulate filter issues: they become blocked, which increases exhaust emissions, stifles engine performance and sometimes even puts the engine into a restricted ‘limp-home mode’.

On some models the engine may not restart after a number of miles – again, consult your handbook for details.

I make lots of short journeys, how will this affect my DPF?
The particles are trapped on the walls of the DPF, stored and continually disposed of. We call this process 'regeneration'. The DPF system needs the car to be driven at a constant road speed so the regeneration process can be completed successfully. Lots of short journeys, and trips that involve stop/start traffic, may cause the regeneration cycle to be unsuccessful. A single, longer journey may be all that is required for regeneration to be successfully completed.

If your typical driving profile involves short trips in heavy traffic, you may wish to reconsider your choice of car, and may prefer to choose either an electric or hybrid model or one with a small petrol engine instead. - the easy solution to all of this is just to take the van for a long run up the motorway every now and again. Or when the warning light comes on.

maxresdefault.jpg

what to do now? - here is the official VW word (DPF LIGHT):

Roadside assistance: 0870 333 0475
1) How many warning lights are on?

One: go to step 2

More than one: Please contact roadside assistance on 0870 333 0475

2. Is the fuel low warning light on?
Yes: The light is on. Refuel the vehicle and go to step 3.

No: The light is not on. Go to step 3.

3. Drive at least 60Km/hr @ engine speed between 1800-2500rpm, at least 15 minutes until light goes out. (Automatic; Select Sport) Did the light go out?
Yes: The light did go out. Filter successfully regenerated.

No: Go to step 4.

4. Can you take the vehicle to your closest authorised repairer?
Yes: If you can take your vehicle, drive safely.

No: If you cant take your vehicle, please contact roadside assistance on 0870 333 0475

source: Diesel Particulate Filter Warning Light | Yellow | Volkswagen UK

A static service regen just uses more fuel and takes longer.... it's better to just go for a drive and enjoy the ride =)

Adblue . . . . what is it?

rsz_what_is_adblue_how_is_it_refilled_and_why_do_diesel_cars_use_it.jpg

One of the latest techniques used to clean up diesel emissions is known as selective catalytic reduction (SCR). A solution of urea in water is used to treat exhaust gases and remove harmful pollutants, including nitrogen oxides (NOx), of which nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is the most harmful.

The fluid used in most vehicles is known as AdBlue, a registered trademark owned by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), which ensures standards are maintained. The fluid is stored in a tank in the car, but unlike petrol or diesel it is not injected into the engine; instead it is fed into part of the vehicle’s exhaust. A chemical reaction converts the harmful NOx exhaust gases into harmless nitrogen and water.

Is it safe to drive with the AdBlue warning on?

It’s not a major safety issue, but if you don’t top up, you’ll eventually run out of AdBlue and you won’t be able to start the van.

When the warning light first comes on you’ll have plenty of time to refill – so don’t panic. Just make sure you don’t put off topping up. - just fill with the required amount & dont over fill the tank!

Also, remember when filling with AdBlue....

Before you start the engine....

Switch the ignition ON and ** WAIT ** !!!! ........

For 30 or so seconds until the dash MFI registers the new AdBlue amount.

Once the new value/range is shown...
Then you can Start the engine..

This helps with the miss reading AdBlue problem, failure to do this will result in the problem above of the system not reading the refilled amount.

T6 Owners Manual: (Behold the Book Of Knowledge)
T6 Owners Manual

Page 346 people . . . . . .

27-jpg.38920

Adblue related issues are known to bring up the MIL engine light (the money light !)

emissions-control-lamp-icon.jpg

Heres VW office take on this light . . . (Engine emissions light)

1. Does the lamp flash or light permanently?
Permanently: Remove the key for 30 seconds then refit and start the engine. Go to step 2.

Flash: Go to step 2.

2. Is the vehicle vibrating and down on power?
Yes: Contact roadside assistance.

No: Go to step 3.

3. Can you take it to an authorised repairer safely?
Yes: Take caution while driving to an authorised repairer.

No: Please contact roadside assistance on 0870 333 0475

But you can get an idea of the problem yourself by reading the fault codes, you can use VCDS, Carista or others to read the fault codes and google them. Emissions lights can be due to EGU, SCR, Adblue and many other things . . . . . so its a good idea to arm yourself with some back ground knowledge before panicking and hitting the dealers . . . .

Links for your info:

Car Warning Lights | Volkswagen UK
Diesel Particulate Filter Warning Light | Yellow | Volkswagen UK
Recharge AdBlue Warning Light | Yellow | Volkswagen UK
What Volkswagen Dashboard Lights Mean | Warning Icons & Symbols

reported VW T6F answers:

@DerekFKS85 (emissions light) Van back. They say it’s an adblue issue but there’s no fault logged, so how do they know?? I’ve to drive it as normal to see if it the light comes on again. If it does it’s going in for a ‘few’ days and they’ll supply a replacement van. Let’s see.

@Neil Nicholls (emissions light) I had a similar issue, and mine was the EGR valve. Mines at nearly 50k, 204 engine, Had the light come up, and Vw assist came out, cleared the fault, but it was back within a week.
The dealer agreed the Egr needed replacing, and had my van in for a week, because they had issues with it !
Picked it up, fault still showed.

@Tony Morris : Just had a similar issue, yellow engine management light illuminated. Carista came up with fault code P154B so contacted VW Assist who have confirmed the problem is a faulty DPF pressure sensor. Due to be replaced tomorrow I'll see if it solves the problem.

@Ashypants : 15560 - EGR Sensor 1 - P046C 00 [108] - Implausible Signal - Intermittent...
Update having been into Sheffield Van Centre - EGR valve - VW are aware but won’t do anything until engine management light comes on.....hmm. - Actuator Stuck - known issue will be fixed with a “software update”

Carista - How I Done It -
Vcds / Vagcom - How I Done It -
T6 Service Intervals & Inspection, Flexible & Longlife

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Given all the adblue, EGR, EGR pipe, regen etc issues, surely this must effect other vehicles in the VAG stable that use the same 2l diesel engine. In which case you would think across the catalogue of platform sharing vehicles produced, these issue must be fairly widespread. Not just in Euro 6 T6's

I'm not 100% sure but I think the T6 2.0l engine range is specifically for the T6 only.

And EGR, DPF and other derv related issues can effect all makes and models of cars and Van's.

Adblue Sale (Halfords): 2x10ltrs £20

20200117_162929.jpg

20200117_162933.jpg

which is nice, no extra discount with the Halfords Trade card =[ . . . But an extra 10% off with the AA "Benefits" =]

Get benefits | Discounts and offers | AA Member benefits

upload_2020-1-18_12-59-14.png

So 20ltrs for £18 - from a B&M store (bricks and motar)

i looked online and found this too: https://amzn.to/38psfQt

upload_2020-1-18_13-1-16.png

Now heres the odd thing....

I parked up outside with the engine running, leaving a mate in the cab,

run into Halfords and picked up some adblue as above,

got back to the van with the MFD showing (700mls range):

20200117_163517.jpg

so i though, ah what the heck . . . . .

so i just dumped a whole tub of 1o litres into the adblue tank,

jumped back into the cab and drove off,

about a minute later while driving this happened (jumped up to 5000mls range) . . . . . .

20200117_163755.jpg

so without stopping or shutting down the engine, or restarting, or waiting for the level to be detected etc etc. . . . . it sorted its self out.

Just remember NOT TO OVERFILL THE ADFBLUE TANK !!!!

the MFD asked for 2.0 - 2.75gal which is upto 12.5Ltrs . . . . . . . i added 10ltrs so under the max.

looks like the sensor is constantly monitoring the adblue tank level and not just at start up. =]

looks like the sensor is constantly monitoring the adblue tank level and not just at start up. =]
That's what I'm seeing, too. Even filling in just 2 liters (well below the min requested) it gets registered and the min/max get adjusted respectively :)

below 1000miles you start to get the MFD warning popping up during startup. . .

1000-600miles you get the white colour warning and stay on the MFD till you acknowlodge.

1611772309787.png

below 600miles you get the Orange warning on the MFD.

plus a notice saying the van will not start if its below 500miles.

1611772351721.png

i filled up with a 10ltr tub, followed the registration as above.

Range now shows 4000miles. and warnings have cleared

I was playing with the VAG DPF APP the other day and managed to catch a FULL REGEN cycle . . .

some interesting data from it below.

it start with this, a full tank of DERV and a BASLINE reading, its shows 22.59g soot and 17km distance since last Regen (DSLR)

1613560859168.png

a few days later i noticed the start of a regen . . . bang on cue at 2/3 tank of fuel . .

you can see the DSLR had increased to 242km and the soot up to 24.03g and 1min into a Regen.

1613560908565.png

at this time we was just sitting there parked up with the van idling at its slightly raised rpm of about 950rmp/1000rpm.
10 mins later . . .

DSLR - 244
Soot - 17.26g
Regen Time - 10m

1613561046441.png

at this point we had started to drive . . . . which made no difference to the rate of soot reduction.

DSLR - 248
Soot - 11.16g
Regen Time - 20m

1613561145868.png

at 28 mins into the regen we had to shut the van down and go back to work with the regen still running . . . .

DSLR - 249
Soot - 9.92g
Regen Time - 26m

1613561241236.png

after work jumping back in the van . . . the Regen seemed to continue from where it left off . . .

Running the van at high revs made no difference to the rate of reduction in soot level..

in Neutral you can press the accelerator full to the floor but the limiter will hold the revs at 2500rpm . . . i held this for a few mins to see if the rate would change. . . it didn't !

what i did notice was that the soot level started INCREASING AGAIN as the van was warming up . . untill it reached operating temperature, then the soot level started dropping again.

DSLR - 255
Soot - 9.64g
Regen Time - 33m

1613561450312.png

next up was some motorway millage . . . 70mph constant on ACC CC,

again no change in the rate of soot reduction.

DSLR - 263
Soot - 7.06g
Regen Time - 39m

1613561611831.png

then all of a sudden it was all over . . . at 40mins and about 5g soot level the Regen stopped . .

The counter dropped to 0mins and 0km distance

1613561718371.png

The next shot shows the soot level creeping back up again . .

1613561751083.png

Conclusion from the above. . . . . . .

During the Regen Phase the Soot level reduction is 0.1g per 2 seconds duration.

During normal driving the Soot level increases by about 0.1g being added every 20 seconds . . .

The REGEN TOOK 40 Mins to complete !!!

The rate of Regen and soot reduction does not change at all regardless of what you do with the van, -

- parked up, high revs, city driving, motor way driving - the rate of reduction is the same.

so there is no point sitting on the drive way with high revs ., . . it makes no difference.

also worth noting that the Regen phase continues after a restart . . . .

The Regen-phase will, on re-start when the van is up to temp 90c on the dash display. (obv the EGT will be high enough by then)

So take note that if you do lots of short journeys . . . the Regen takes at least 40 mins from when the engine is hot . . .

so if you just do short trips then you need to let the regen complete while parked up (ticking over), or take the van for a drive.

The VW Guide says take for a drive, high reves, over 15mins . . . . etc etc . . . but as we can see from above the Regen can last a lot longer that the 15mins.

@mmi does this fit in with your findings?

Last edited:
@mmi does this fit in with your findings?
Oh yes -
The rate of Regen and soot reduction does not change at all regardless of what you do with the van, -

- parked up, high revs, city driving, motor way driving - the rate of reduction is the same.

so there is no point sitting on the drive way with high revs ., . . it makes no difference.
Yes, true, the right pedal doesn't have much control how the DPF regeneration progresses :speechless:

T6_measured - DPF regen vs. short journeys

A normal DPF regeneration -

Happened during a "normal" journey. Engine was already warmed up when regen started. Crawling with traffic - about 60 km/h, revs at DSG's discretion.
1614433541369.png
Engine software is the updated one, thus DPF regen start and finish thresholds are different than @Dellmassive 's although the engine is the same (CXEB/2018).
-----

Picture 1. Just about to reach the end of the DPF regeneration.
Legend:​
Soot Mass Calc (g) - small print (min/max of current logging session)​
9.03 minimum​
30.07 maximum since start, thus here trigger level of DPF regen​
Distance Since Last Regen (km) - small print​
195 minimum, thus this journey commenced 29 km ago​
Time Since Last Regen (min) - small print​
232 minimum, thus this journey commenced 264-232 = 32 mins ago.​
DPF Input Gas Temp (℃) - small print​
24 minimum - engine start-up​
668 maximum along the route​
DPF Input Gas Temp (℃) - small print​
0 minimum - engine start-up​
6548 maximum, not really, a glitch in the app's start-up​

Regen_903g_Screenshot_20210218-084631_a.png

Picture 2. Taken 10 seconds after the above. Active DPF regeneration has just finished, counters are reset.

Regen_894g_Screenshot_20210218-084641_a.png

Indeed, much more comfortable now :cool: - since Thursday actually. The regen stuff was recorded on February 18th.

My normal journey to work is only 8 miles each way each day. Used to have problems with the regen until road side assist told me what to do?

When the revs sit at 1k on idle, ACTIVE REGEN SITUATION;
Drive in 4th gear (manual box) above 70km (45-49 mph) for about 4-5 miles!
Worked every time, full cycle in around 10mins.

Back