I already have Devonports, I was just wondering what’s the chance of finding a bargain 235 tyre / wheel package. Slim I guess.

Hi I have had a look around for an answer to this but cannot find anything so apologies if it has been covered somewhere already.
I have a T32 with Davenport wheels which I want to keep current tyre are 215/65/17 but I have noticed that VW also used a 235/55/17 which seems to be cheaper to buy is there a reason I would need to stay with the 215/65/17 or can I go for the 235/55/17
Are there any benefits or either.

cheers

I also have a T32 and changed to the 235/55/17 from the 215's. Very happy with the new Michelin Cross Climates. I found the van would wheel spin (204hp) with the 215 tyres but they were cheap tyres so I would think a combination of slightly wider and a better quality tyre helped.

Reactions: JOG
Hiya
I run 235/55/17 as I had them on my last van. When I picked up my current van, it had 215/65/16 on them. Essentially, I wanted to keep the rolling circumference similar.
It is really down to personal choice - 65 will give a bit more protection against curbs etc!

Hiya
I run 235/55/17 as I had them on my last van. When I picked up my current van, it had 215/65/16 on them. Essentially, I wanted to keep the rolling circumference similar.
It is really down to personal choice - 65 will give a bit more protection against curbs etc!
Meant to add, I also went Cross Climates!

Hiya
Just checking did you mean 17” and not 16”

I also have a T32 and changed to the 235/55/17 from the 215's. Very happy with the new Michelin Cross Climates. I found the van would wheel spin (204hp) with the 215 tyres but they were cheap tyres so I would think a combination of slightly wider and a better quality tyre helped.
Cheers what speed rating and load rating did you go for ?

Hi all,

First time buying tyres for my Van. Its a 66 plate T32 204 with Devonports.

I used online tools (black circles etc.) to identify tyres and they all came back as 235/55/17, so I ordered x2 Avon ZV7's for the front in a 103 load rating to suit the T32. I have just gone to have them fitted and noted that my van actually has 215/60/17 109/107T fitted....

I've done a search and it seems that different Devonports came with different tyres from VW...that makes no sense!!

Issue I have is that the ride is so hard, I was hoping that a 103 load rating would have a slightly more compliant sidewall and improve the ride (can anyway confirm this theory??), but 215/60 are only available as a commercial/truck tyre with 109/107T, or as a car tyre with a maximum 96 load rating.

So my question is = as VW supplied both sizes, can I get away with fitting the 235/55 to my wheels? By my calculation, the speed-o will ever so slightly under read. The fitter is happy to fit them, but only as a set of 4 so that there is no mismatch between car and commercial tyre from front to rear. I do understand this logic and trust the guy. Likewise, he is happy to re-fund the Avon's and fit 215/60 Goodyears so am I better off doing this?

As far as I’m aware 235’s are an option but not common.
Good Year Cargo Vectors are great tyres for grip and longevity, you’ve got a commercial vehicle. Personally I’m happy having more robust commercial tyres, the lanes around my way are rough and it’s nice to have some decent rubber you can trust when your a long way from a tyre centre in the middle of nowhere.

I've got some 235 55 17 103 goodyear vector 4 seasons on mine. All good over the last 10000 miles and much better than the continentals (215 60 17) which came fitted from new, especially in the cold and wet.

Well I’ve recently got rid of the tyre hum (Cargo Vector M&S) so looking forward to loosing a bit more engine noise after doing the scuttle.
I wouldn’t change my Cargo Vectors, they maybe a bit noisy but they stick to the road like glue and I’ve just got 41K miles out of one pair, the other pair still have approx‘ 10-15K to go.

I need to replace two Continentals on my T32, I’ve been happy with them and have never lost grip unexpectedly with them. I was thinking of getting the same again.

Road noise is one of the high priorities, is there a quieter tyre than the Continentals?

I need to replace two Continentals on my T32, I’ve been happy with them and have never lost grip unexpectedly with them. I was thinking of getting the same again.

Road noise is one of the high priorities, is there a quieter tyre than the Continentals?
Sound deaden the wheel arch liners, easy and cheap to do with 10mm self adhesive acoustic foam.

Hi everyone

I'm looking at buying some Devonports to replace my standard steels. I need new tyres anyway so thought I could be clever and slightly upgrade instead of spending £400ish on just new tyres for the steels... anyway, I've found some Devonports on ebay which are in good condition, including the tyres at a good price. However the tyres on the wheels are as follows:

2 = Continental Conti VanContact 215/60 R17C
2 = Continental Conti Premium Contact 235/55 R17W XL

Obviously these are different widths. Is this ok or should I keep looking?

Many thanks

Still would be fine - put the wider ones on the rear to look “cool” - so long as the price is good!!!

Thanks. I’m assuming it’s an easy, and doable swap from 16” steels to 17” Devonports without any spacers and/or adjustments? Don’t want to make an expensive mistake. Is there anything to consider that will change because of the swap?

Back