Just checked mine and there are 215/60/17 also but the 235 would certainly have looked better.

The very first batch of T6 with the devonport were supplied with 235/55/17 Bridgestone Turanza ER300 Tyres . Later delivery's moved over to the 215 Goodyear cargo vector, I've also seen a few with continental 200 - but not many. Not sure how they measure the tyres but although the Bridgestone are listed as wider when compared side by side they look exactly the same width as the goodyears. Their was certainly no visual difference between the two and as the wheels are the same size is just made me wonder if the tyre manufactures measure to the same specs?

Hmmm; I can't see them being the same; an extra 20mm is quite a bit extra width.
Might just look very close because the ratio is similar; 60 on a 215 is just about the same distance from tyre edge to rim as the 55 on a 235.
The circumference has to be the same to keep the speedo consistent.

I can get out the tape measure tomorrow if needed.

Never checked them properly- just eyeballed them side by side !!!.

They looked the same but prehaps the 20mm is just not apparent from ten feet away.

My T32 came with 215/60R17's, but at the time I ordered it the 235's were " standard " . I ordered August 15 and got it March this year.

Our T5.1 came with 235/55 so that is what I always put on it. Now I have bought a brand new set of of VW Thunders to put on it so I can take my painted set off when I sell it. The new ones came with brand new unused 225/60 as OE.

It really seems like they put on whatever they get a good deal on that week.

I am going to stick with 235/55 - seems to me they give the correct circumference for the maximum tread witdth.

I did wonder if the reduced tread width is a sop to rolling resistance and BlueMotion but I would rather go for contact patch. After all they say that BM includes low rolling resistance tyres but I don't see any evidence of that, indeed some OE fits are pretty poor on fuel and noise rating so hardly BM.

But yours would of rolled off the production line before then. Probably quite a while to get the cali treatment.

Our T5.1 came with 235/55 so that is what I always put on it. Now I have bought a brand new set of of VW Thunders to put on it so I can take my painted set off when I sell it. The new ones came with brand new unused 225/60 as OE.

It really seems like they put on whatever they get a good deal on that week.

I am going to stick with 235/55 - seems to me they give the correct circumference for the maximum tread witdth.

I did wonder if the reduced tread width is a sop to rolling resistance and BlueMotion but I would rather go for contact patch. After all they say that BM includes low rolling resistance tyres but I don't see any evidence of that, indeed some OE fits are pretty poor on fuel and noise rating so hardly BM.

There was a lot of hot air about low rolling resistance tyres; pretty sure our Turanzas are just mid range Summer tyres that happen to be sufficiently load rated.

Our Cali is Bluemotion; just seems to means it has stop/start.

The reason I brought this up was so I could work out the speedo error for when I change the wheels to (take a deep breath @Polzeylad ) 275/40/20's which varies between 2.9% and 5% depending on which standard tyre size I end up being given...

i think 275''s will be too big.. can you fit 255-40-20 ?? that would work

i have 235-55-17 came as standard and im going 275-40-19 sooooon

After reading this I’m thinking that Devonports with OEM 235 tyres are rare, is this the case?
If not I’ll be looking for a set of second hand Devonports with low milage 235 / 55 M&S tyres.

yes it is, but there are plenty of 'as new' Devonports for sale so you can just change the tyres

Back