Detailing a new Van?

I've been practising with the DA polisher on an old polo recently. It's been really rewarding to do, and I've been focusing on looking at different compounds, and how they differ. I have used a single stage process compound to look at how swirls and light scratches can be 'improved' (note:not removed) and then compared that to a multi-stage compound process, and its really interesting.

I think i am ready to move onto my bus now, and whilst i need to do a multi-stage process (some parts need some TLC, and some actually need some paint-work), I'm actually going to do my first attempt with a single-stage product and play it safe. I want to get to know the contours of my T6 better and understand how to use different sized pads to work around those contours. My time with the DA has been pretty useful so far, and whilst most forums and guidance will tell you not to rush in, none of them tell you when you should get stuck in!!! I never know if people out there are also interested in the beginner angle, but in case anyone is, let me know. I'm going to book some annual leave and start this amazing (and maybe nerdy) journey.
Good on you, great idea to learn on an old car, if none of us ever tried we'd never learn anything. With your obvious common sense and a D.A. machine I can't see you doing any harm. Go for it and let us know how you get on! :thumbsup:

I apologise now for the silly question, but can you put a ceramic coat on a half wrapped van? Not sure if you would see the same benefits as you would if you are applying it to paint? Again, is their any benefit to using a polisher on a wrap?

I apologise now for the silly question, but can you put a ceramic coat on a half wrapped van? Not sure if you would see the same benefits as you would if you are applying it to paint? Again, is their any benefit to using a polisher on a wrap?
I'm new to the detailing processes, and research the hell out of anything before moving forward. I can share with you that yes, you can ceramic coat a wrapped vehicle as well as machine polishing it. In fact, what i have read is that ceramic coatings are really good for vinyl wraps, as the product is supposed to enhance the product against drying. I think you will need to do a bit of extra research into what polishing compounds work with vinyl, but i know there are products out there that have been made specifically for that purpose. Hope that helps a little.

I had our van detailed (machine polished) and a Gtechniq ceramic coat applied after it was converted. A wash and towel dry is all it needs now. The guy who did it said it needed 2 stages to get the paint perfect for coating. This was on a 1 year old low mileage van and the bodywork was in good condition. You can worry about all sorts after getting it done as it aint cheap, but you`ve got to drive it/ park it and wash it so just enjoy it.

If it was £300 to ceramic coat the vehicle on top of what it costs to do a full wash/decontamination/2-3 stage paint correction/polish..... even then i think £300 is still cheap!

I'm not really criticising the deal at all, I'm just raising my eyebrows. I want you to explore it and tell us exactly what is on offer!!!
So I popped in to see them today; small place valets, paint restoration, ceramic etc is all they do (2 nice people, with 15 and 5 years experience of detailing, originally for Porsche).
Place is dedicated workshop and wash bay outside.
After discussion we settled on £600 to...
Full wash, dry (air blower), tar removal, wax removal, clay bar, 2 stage polish, 5 year guaranteed Matrix ceramic including on my brand new ATS wheels and the windows?
It’ll take the two of them a full day plus overnight curing and a final tickle the next morning.. Gotta be at least 18hrs...
Is this sounding a little more like it?

Reactions: JOG
So I popped in to see them today; small place valets, paint restoration, ceramic etc is all they do (2 nice people, with 15 and 5 years experience of detailing, originally for Porsche).
Full wash, dry (air blower), tar removal, wax removal, clay bar, 2 stage polish, 5 year guaranteed Matrix ceramic including on my brand new ATS wheels and the windows?
It’ll take the two of them a full day plus overnight curing and a final tickle the next morning.. Gotta be at least 18hrs...
Much more like it! Good, let us know how they get on! :thumbsup:

Sounds like an absolute deal!! I think that if you get a good vibe from the people doing the work and the price is what you are after - go for it. As @DaveD said - give us a review!

If it was £300 to ceramic coat the vehicle on top of what it costs to do a full wash/decontamination/2-3 stage paint correction/polish..... even then i think £300 is still cheap!

I'm not really criticising the deal at all, I'm just raising my eyebrows. I want you to explore it and tell us exactly what is on offer by blacktiedetailing!!!
Thinking about it

I've done a few vehicles in my time, but only my own, purely on a hobby basis and i'm by no means an expert on this. However, with the limited experience i have i simply cannot see it being possible to do a proper job at the prices quoted above

Back