Detailed Theft Info On Fiats And Fords Data From Insurer

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Very surprised to receive this info from my insurer outlining problems with Fiats and Fords in Essex. Sounds like a gang doing the rounds.

Over the past 2 months we have seen an increase in thefts of Fiat Motorhomes due to technology available to purchase online, which overrides the manufacturer standard security.

Areas specifically targeted are along the A127 within the postal codes of:
  • CM
  • CO
  • RM
  • SS
If you own a Fiat Motorhome in these areas please be aware of the increased theft risk.
While Motorhome thefts are rare, our claims statistics have shown that Fiats are being targeted. We recommend investigating and installing deterrents and/or taking preventative measures to decrease the risk of theft. Steering wheel locks, wheel-clamps and door locks are some ideas for extra security.

We would also like to mention that Ford Motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the
above areas particularly including:
  • SO
  • BH
If you are thinking of, or have already purchased a Ford Motorhome please be aware of this increased risk and fit preventatives to the vehicle.

Very surprised to receive this info from my insurer outlining problems with Fiats and Fords in Essex. Sounds like a gang doing the rounds.

Over the past 2 months we have seen an increase in thefts of Fiat Motorhomes due to technology available to purchase online, which overrides the manufacturer standard security.

Areas specifically targeted are along the A127 within the postal codes of:

• CM
    • CO
    • RM
    • SS
If you own a Fiat Motorhome in these areas please be aware of the increased theft risk.
While Motorhome thefts are rare, our claims statistics have shown that Fiats are being targeted. We recommend investigating and installing deterrents and/or taking preventative measures to decrease the risk of theft. Steering wheel locks, wheel-clamps and door locks are some ideas for extra security.

We would also like to mention that Ford Motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the
above areas particularly including:

• SO
    • BH
If you are thinking of, or have already purchased a Ford Motorhome please be aware of this increased risk and fit preventatives to the vehicle.
Had the same email. I notice it goes on to say that owners of those have to fit an approved tracker.

They sent a clarifying email to say that if you had a Ford it was mandatory to install a tracker but advisory for the Fiats. Not clear why the distinction if they are both so liable to theft. At the start of the policy they said I had to have a tracker for my T6 camper because of its value.

They sent a clarifying email to say that if you had a Ford it was mandatory to install a tracker but advisory for the Fiats. Not clear why the distinction if they are both so liable to theft. At the start of the policy they said I had to have a tracker for my T6 camper because of its value.
Really? Is it Comfort? I also have a high value T6 camper insured with them and there was definitely no requirement for me to have a tracker. I've just got my Feb 18 renewal docs out just to check. It must be area dependant I suppose?

That will be ground zero for me then...

Glad I haven't got a fiat or a Ford.

Looks like another main dealers security system has been compromised......so now it's out in the open.. who's going to fix it?... the main dealer... the manufacturer... the owner... the insurance company?

Also that is great info provided by your insurance company and creates good awareness of the issue.... thumbs up to them... what insurance company is it? I'll consider them next time round.

Eeek.
I hope this isn't going to become a UK wide issue, but glad my Motorhome (Fiat) is in a Cassoa Gold secure site, and has a Tracker.

Really? Is it Comfort? I also have a high value T6 camper insured with them and there was definitely no requirement for me to have a tracker. I've just got my Feb 18 renewal docs out just to check. It must be area dependant I suppose?
Yep, Comfort. You’re probably right re: location specific. We’re just outside London which may have something to do with it.

Back