Detached retina anybody?

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
In the time honoured manner of wrecked holidays our first trip away to a campsite with real bogs and showers was shot down this week when I was diagnosed with a partially detached retina in my right eye on Wednesday, we were supposed to be camping from Thursday night.
Anyway the adventure was a pretty rapid one starting late Tuesday afternoon with an initial diagnosis and hospital referal by Specsavers here in Northampton, thank you Radhika.Couldn't get into the hospital eye casualty then as it keeps office hours so went back in the morning for an appointment and confirmation of Radhikas diagnosis, then get picked up by my wife and driven to Radcliffe in Oxford and on an operating table (still in my street clothes) at 7:30pm.
I've got to say everybody in this chain of events was fantastic but I really wanted a different sort of exciting few days, one that wasn't quite this exciting, also look at this gorgeous weather, double bozwellox!
Back to the thread title and if anyone has any personal experience I'm currently at the eye back to nearly open but the eye looks like that scene in the Bond film Spectre where Dave Batista exercised his thumbs, vision from the eye is blurred with the meniscus of the inserted gas retina support bubble making it seem like I'm trying to look at the world through a dirty spirit level glass...
BTW, yes it could have been worse, much worse.

jeez . . . wish you well buddy.

In the time honoured manner of wrecked holidays our first trip away to a campsite with real bogs and showers was shot down this week when I was diagnosed with a partially detached retina in my right eye on Wednesday, we were supposed to be camping from Thursday night.
Anyway the adventure was a pretty rapid one starting late Tuesday afternoon with an initial diagnosis and hospital referal by Specsavers here in Northampton, thank you Radhika.Couldn't get into the hospital eye casualty then as it keeps office hours so went back in the morning for an appointment and confirmation of Radhikas diagnosis, then get picked up by my wife and driven to Radcliffe in Oxford and on an operating table (still in my street clothes) at 7:30pm.
I've got to say everybody in this chain of events was fantastic but I really wanted a different sort of exciting few days, one that wasn't quite this exciting, also look at this gorgeous weather, double bozwellox!
Back to the thread title and if anyone has any personal experience I'm currently at the eye back to nearly open but the eye looks like that scene in the Bond film Spectre where Dave Batista exercised his thumbs, vision from the eye is blurred with the meniscus of the inserted gas retina support bubble making it seem like I'm trying to look at the world through a dirty spirit level glass...
BTW, yes it could have been worse, much worse.
Ouch. Best luck with the recovery

My eye feels like it should look like that but actually looks similar minus the surrounding bruising.
@Fluff34567 Do you mind me asking if those pictures were taken close to the eye operation or a month later, as mentioned in your post only I'm wondering how long it will take to get back to something like normal vision... btw, your eye mate... balls of steel for that one, I feel like a proper lightweight!

Sure, 1st one is about 7-10 days in , 2nd one is after about a month .

I found that I had more bleeding overnight and it took a few days for the eye to go fully red

Update on the eye repair (vitrectomy) and a week later things are brightening up considerably.
The eye lids are still not fully open but in no way block the pupil so I'm now able to see again down through the top half of my normal field of vision from the right eye.
The down side is that it's surprising how many things you can walk into when you can see over and past them.The remaining field of vision in the eye is being blocked by the remnants of the SF6 gas bubble that was squirted in to support the welded back on retina, the gas is disappearing but in time honoured upside down eyeball worldery as the gas bubble is absorbed by the body the dark area in the vision drops ever lower returning vision from the upper to lower areas of the field of vision.
I haven't driven and won't until everything is square again but at this rate I'm feeling more confident that we're actually going to make Cornwall at the end of the month for the feast of sun,wind and rain that is a British camping holiday!

Speedy recovery chap.
I didn't think I was bad with things like that, but that eye has put me off lunch.....

Good to hear you are recovering @Stay Frosty. They are blooming brilliant at the Oxford Eye Hospital in the JR. I had a lot of dealings with them when they were still operating out of the Radcliffe Infirmary before the site was sold off to the University.
They certainly helped with my eyes, as I didn’t even know I had a congenital disorder with my corneas until I went there having suffered an eye injury.

My girlfriend has had each detach over last few years; scary but all fine in the end.
Didn’t suffer that kind of bruising though so I guess a different part of the eye.
Eye clinic at Sheffield Hallamshire were fantastic too.
Speedy recovery!

My girlfriend has had each detach over last few years; scary but all fine in the end.
Didn’t suffer that kind of bruising though so I guess a different part of the eye.
Eye clinic at Sheffield Hallamshire were fantastic too.
Speedy recovery!
I had an accident which caused a bit of damage hence the lovely shades of purple

Wishing you a speedy recovery OP. Did you have to posture for the 12 hours a day or so ?

My mum had a macular hole and I think the healing is same as detached retina. 12 hours a day face down as the gas bubble pushed the retina back up....:(

I'll jump in @catfood12 as I've been to the Northampton general hospital for the first follow up from my Vitrectomy down at John Radcliffe in Oxford.
The SF6 gas bubble finally disappeared from inside the eye today so apart from having slightly blurry eyesight from the vicious eye drops they use to dilate your pupils at some point tonight my eyesight in the affected right eye will return to at least the 90 odd % that I had this morning.
I did have to sleep on my front for the first week post operation and keep my face looking downward during the day but as an inveterate bin dipper and oddball neither task was too difficult.
The idea with the gas bubble is to push the retina back against the rear of the eyeball and assist in the healing/glueing back on process however the same gas bubble will accelerate the onset of a cataract, possibly by a few years so a bit of a trade off but then if we all lived long enough then cataracts would be an inevitability.
Got to go back in 6 weeks and then if all is good be discharged and get back to my job at the tattoo parlour...
Hope your mum's ok mate as even though all of this eye surgery is pretty much a formality when you're the one on the table it can be a bit of a knock to the confidence.

Back