VW ‘Design’ 17” 7J Steel Wheels

@carlg I'm currently saving for my conversion which is and of Feb however I'm pretty much set on these as I now know what I'm doing with the van and will be getting a set when I have spare funds early summer next year. Thanks for the offer though.

Here is how I got the chrome beetle hubcaps to fit my steels.

This is the back of the chrome cap, it needs to be cut where the white line is, but leave a bit extra to allow adjustment
IMG_0570.JPG

Get an M6 x 40mm bolt and assemble a penny washer ( holes drilled around the edge to help bonding it in) and nut, and use a dab of superglue to lightly hold it in the centre of the cap, you can't see it here, but there are two clips in the centre which the bolt head just sits between, making finding the centre easy.

IMG_0572.JPG
I used a 2-pack structural adhesive to fill the central recess and so bond the bolt and washer into the hubcap.
Drill a 6mm hole in the centre of the black centre cap, there is a mark on the back, dead centre.

IMG_0575.JPG

Assemble the two caps together with a nut and washer either side of the black cap, so that it doesn't distort when tightened up. Now, the time-consuming bit, the previously cut-down legs on the chrome cap need to be adjusted a bit at a time to get the cap fitting into the wheel nice and firmly, I found when I got it right, I couldn't pull the cap off with my fingers. Now I am happy with the fit, I will bond the two caps together to make it even more solid.

IMG_0613.JPG

That works really well, and makes the wheel look totally different. Pretty darn good match for the hardest colour too :thumbsup:

Didn't quite find a match. The wheels are painted too, with the same paint.

Without wanting to sound like a pretentious tw*t, think it makes them look a little more classy. Less Bob the Builder and more Lady Penelope........ Not that I'm saying there aren't some classy builders out there, you understand.;)

Last edited:
Didn't quite find a match. The wheels are painted too, with the same paint.

Without wanting to sound like a pretentious tw*t, think it makes them look a a little more classy. Less Bob the Builder and more Lady Penelope........ Not that I'm saying there aren't some classy builders out there, you understand.;)

Or classy wheels with just plain Black caps....:whistle:

Yeah I agree. I toyed with the idea of doing grey where you have the cream for the same retro look. But wasn't brave enough. Also black with silver on the outer rim. This sort of idea20180911_190805.jpg

I really love these to, but sadly not manufactured in a suitable size for a T6....:(20180911_190708.jpg But a proper classic look about them. :inlove:

I’ve got my original set of steels and I’m considering put Cooper all terrains on them for the winter. What’s the biggest I could put on them?

Back