Dented Tailgate - repair or replace?

Phibbo

Came back to car park today and someone had driven into my rear tailgate (T6.1 2020 Ascot Grey, heated rear window, rear camera, internal opening switch). Needless to say there was no sign of them. The tailgate handle and an area about 12 inches in diameter is pushed in. There’s a tiny bit of scuffing but the paintwork is ok.
Am on holiday but will take to get sorted when get back to Colchester. Anyone know though whether I’ll need to get a complete replacement or whether this is something that could be repaired? And any idea of costs? (It hasn’t been the best day of the holiday as left the awning up last night and it rained and buckled…!!!)

A picture would help but if there are no serious creases and it’s just pushed in then a PDR paintless dent removal person would be a good start point.

You might just get away with it by removing the handle then pulling the panel out. Fingers x'd.

Check to see if the tailgate is leaking water past the seal before repairing (water hose). You might find it isn’t water tight depending on how much force was applied.
A good body repair shop can do great thinks these days.

066D2B04-621D-43A3-8DAD-376C3616EA11.jpeg

Thanks for the advice. On ‘removing the handle’ - is that something I could do? Or leave to professionals? As you can see, the paintwork damage is minimal. It does look like it could just pop out.

I would definitely try a reputable PDR person for that, I would be surprised if they couldn’t do a very good job on it. I would leave the handle in place and let a professional do it.

Back