Decision Making - Slidepods V Fitted Kitchen

NicLD

Got a short wheel base T6 and wonder which conversion is best for our lifestyle. The van will be used mainly as a camper for 2 of us and sometimes with a tent for 3 kids. I’ve always hankered after the traditional fitted kitchen and cupboards but was really taken with the Slidepods flexibility and size of cooking and prep area,

I guess my question is, do those of you with Slidepods miss having an indoor kitchen and cupboards? Or dose anyone with fitted furniture which they had opted for a Slidepod?

Mrs Loz refuses to cook in the Cali as she doesn’t want it to smell so we end up cooking in the awning on the jet boil. So if we were in your situation we would go for a slidepod.

I made my own units as I could not find anything available.
My van is still a kombi with removable rear seats and I made the kitchen pod and bench seat/stowage/kids bed removable.
All just attach to the original cargo points.
Makes for a very versatile van

6BE935B4-E684-499B-A5B9-71EA74F201EF.jpeg

E8B7F4EB-26B6-427F-9DA2-A14401A31BD5.jpeg

I’ve got a slidepod conversion in my T6 and like the benefit of being able to have a full width bed which gives more space for when you might have to live in the van when there is bad weather.
Plus you don’t have cooking smells in the van because the unit slides out to use.

I'd also add a cadac to the options..
Slidepod.. things I have noticed when other members use them..
-if the wind/rain is the wrong direction then it will go into the rear of the van,as tailgate isnt ideal cover.
-if you want to cook then everyone has to be up n dressed while tailgate is open..
-they are a nice compact unit but for me the slidepod isnt ideal, especially if your in group setting with awning.on and your at back of van..

Internal kitchen..
-reduces space
-'full' cooking smell may linger inside the van.
-additional heat on hot days.
- head room(unless you have poptop)

Cadac....
- cook anywhere (dependant on hose/gas length)
- smells outside
- can use inside the awning or our.
- small and compact
- use at home

I quite agree with Fish with regards carrying a Cadac with either a fitted Gas tank or re-fillable bottles, as they are brilliant.

Another + for the Cadac. So versatile. I was at an event a couple of years ago and it was freezing in the event shelter. Cadac on with every one huddled around it soon warmed us up :laugh:

We’re having a full width bed and an inside kitchen - best of both worlds. Don’t expect to be cooking much inside tbh but nice to have the choice. Will have dogs + husband in the van so a bit of cooking smell will probably be an improvement :D

We went for full on internal kitchen, as when it's raining cold there is nothing so lovely as a nice cuppa tea in bed. I could not even imagine getting up, full waterproofs and tailgate open just for a brew :confused:

However we also still use our 10yr old Cadac Safari Chef for most of the cooking in good weather and the van hob for perhaps soup or a cheese & ham toastie in the griddle monkey in winter. (Less cooking smells)

Slidepods really appealled but it was the foul weather cooking that put me off. I do cook outside in rain but outside my sliding door under a big waterproof sail that can be pegged down to floor to keep wind and rain out.
Good luck in your decisions :thumbsup:

I have a Slidepod which suits the fact that I need to have a decent carry space in the van.
But my requirements are changing and I'm likely to go down the more conventional route of internal kitchen/cupboards.

I also have a Packashack which drops over the tailgate which has a built in groundsheet, the packashack has suckers that stick to the van and a blind that fits in the openingof the van

We went for full on internal kitchen, as when it's raining cold there is nothing so lovely as a nice cuppa tea in bed. I could not even imagine getting up, full waterproofs and tailgate open just for a brew :confused:

However we also still use our 10yr old Cadac Safari Chef for most of the cooking in good weather and the van hob for perhaps soup or a cheese & ham toastie in the griddle monkey in winter. (Less cooking smells)

Slidepods really appealled but it was the foul weather cooking that put me off. I do cook outside in rain but outside my sliding door under a big waterproof sail that can be pegged down to floor to keep wind and rain out.
Good luck in your decisions :thumbsup:
Thanks for your post - I am torn with the luxury of move inside space but your mention of a hot cup of tea in bed is appealing :)

We’re having a full width bed and an inside kitchen - best of both worlds. Don’t expect to be cooking much inside tbh but nice to have the choice. Will have dogs + husband in the van so a bit of cooking smell will probably be an improvement :D
We have a dog and one of us is a husband...but not me ;)

I'd also add a cadac to the options..
Slidepod.. things I have noticed when other members use them..
-if the wind/rain is the wrong direction then it will go into the rear of the van,as tailgate isnt ideal cover.
-if you want to cook then everyone has to be up n dressed while tailgate is open..
-they are a nice compact unit but for me the slidepod isnt ideal, especially if your in group setting with awning.on and your at back of van..

Internal kitchen..
-reduces space
-'full' cooking smell may linger inside the van.
-additional heat on hot days.
- head room(unless you have poptop)

Cadac....
- cook anywhere (dependant on hose/gas length)
- smells outside
- can use inside the awning or our.
- small and compact
- use at home
Really good points - thank you

Back