Dealer Messed Up

Gazthediver

A week ago I picked up my new transporter shuttle LWB from lookers van Centre in Newcastle a Volkswagen dealership . The vehicle was built for me to my specifications and on ordering it I asked for a water heater with programmable parking heater function with radio remote control and on the hand over I asked the question where is the remote control for the heater only to be told they will get me them , 3 days later I find out the vehicle was ordered without the remote controls and the dealer now tells me they can not retrofit them as Volkswagen will not let them , so my question is this right and if Volkswagen can’t is there any company that could retrofit this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A week ago I picked up my new transporter shuttle LWB from lookers van Centre in Newcastle a Volkswagen dealership . The vehicle was built for me to my specifications and on ordering it I as for a water heater with programmable parking heater function with radio remote control and on the hand over I asked the question where is the remote control for the heater only to be told they will get me them , 3 days later I find out the vehicle was ordered without the remote controls and the dealer now tells me they can not retrofit them as Volkswagen will not let them , so my question is this right and if Volkswagen can’t is there any company that could retrofit this ?
Hand the vehicle back, saying you reject it since it has not been delivered as per the specification.

Tell them you'd like a full refund as they have sold goods in contravention of the Trading Standards - namely, all goods must be sold as described. If you ordered RRC and the van didn't come with it, it hasn't been sold as described.

However, that's obviously a last resort but certainly a threat you could consider using against the dealer. See what they come back with.

Unfortunately there are many threads of a similar ilk on here where the dealer has ballsed up, but will make you feel like it is your fault. Don’t be afraid to tell them to get an order placed for the van that you specified. They’ll be counting on you caving in. Then tell them they are to loan you a van for the period that it now takes for your proper vehicle to be built and delivered, since it is not your fault. They will claim you are being unreasonable, but you are not; many others have played the same cards and won.
My guess is that you’ll not get a retrofit of that.
That’ll offer you a few quid back, but stick to your guns or it’ll always p15s you off.

A week ago I picked up my new transporter shuttle LWB from lookers van Centre in Newcastle a Volkswagen dealership . The vehicle was built for me to my specifications and on ordering it I as for a water heater with programmable parking heater function with radio remote control and on the hand over I asked the question where is the remote control for the heater only to be told they will get me them , 3 days later I find out the vehicle was ordered without the remote controls and the dealer now tells me they can not retrofit them as Volkswagen will not let them , so my question is this right and if Volkswagen can’t is there any company that could retrofit this ?
DO NOT let a third party start getting involved with this & start fiddling with the van, as soon as you do that, you’ve no claim as you’be accepted the goods. You need to be honest with yourself & decide where you want to take this & how far you’re prepared to to to get what you want.
You either settle for what you’ve got.
Reject the vehicle in its entirety.
Accept some settlement in lieu of the missing heater control.
Presumably you’ve been charged & paid for said missing features, in which case you are entirely within your rights to take the van back & leave it on the forecourt. You must give them an opportunity to make it right, if they insist they can’t, then ask for your money back.
Personally it sounds like a load of BS that VW won’t “allow” them to do rectify the problem.
You get what you settle for.

To be honest my first thoughts where to get vw to retrofit the remote control using vw parts in a vw dealership but been told that’s not going to happen so my 2nd thought was just reorder the van again with the right specifications but and it’s a big BUTT I am now been told the noonrock gray interior that is in my transporter has been removed from the build list so now it would be impossible to reorder the same van , sadly I love my transporter but in the same way shocked at how the dealership are dealing with it looks like I have to do a lot of thinking over the weekend

Would they give you some funds to get it retrofitted elsewhere ??

I’ve not bought new from VW but don’t they give you a print out of the spec when they accept your order ?

Would they give you some funds to get it retrofitted elsewhere ??
This is worth a shout - I think @Dellmassive managed to get VW to stump up the cost towards retrofitting some items that they left off his T5 order.

And if they really value your custom, they could easily remove the moonrock grey interior and transfer that to your replacement van... however the fact that they’ve told you that a remote can’t be retrofitted leads me to suspect that they haven’t got a clue.

Good luck.

This doesn't surprise me. They have messed around with mine for almost 8 weeks now. Still at the point where I am chasing moneys for tax on my previous vehicle because they didn't even bother to send off the documentation. They are the ones messing up but I am the 1 doing all of the chasing. I get no feedback or information from them at all. They took money out of my bank for the van I rejected when they shouldn't have and left me overdrawn, which has taken 3 weeks to get back.

The sales manager isn't the most reasonable person but if they have messed up your order then you are 100% within your right not to accept it. They do not like to accept responsibility for their mistakes. I bought a van that was in poor condition and was full of scratches. It wasn't the vehicle I had originally seen so I rejected it. The sales manager tried his best to convince me that the vehicle was perfectly acceptable. I showed the van to 1 of the salesman and he said he would be embarrassed to hand the vehicle over in that condition and he couldn't believe they had accepted it from another dealership in that state.

Keep pushing and never back down to them. Their customer service is terrible and they never keep you updated once things dont go there way. I eventually ended up getting a van that was £1200 more expensive, for the same price as the original van I bought. The sales manager has never once accepted he was wrong and has never been polite or professional about it, but I stood my ground and they eventually had to give me a better van for the same price. This let me know that I was right all along and he was just trying to maximise profits by trying to convince me it was in an acceptable state.

1 of the guys working there told me they messed up somebody's order not long ago, who had fully kitted out their vehicle and he said something along the lines of a £70,000 vehicle. They missed something off his order and he rejected the van. The salesman said they now have the most expensive test vehicle in the country.

This doesn't surprise me. They have messed around with mine for almost 8 weeks now. Still at the point where I am chasing moneys for tax on my previous vehicle because they didn't even bother to send off the documentation. They are the ones messing up but I am the 1 doing all of the chasing. I get no feedback or information from them at all. They took money out of my bank for the van I rejected when they shouldn't have and left me overdrawn, which has taken 3 weeks to get back.

The sales manager isn't the most reasonable person but if they have messed up your order then you are 100% within your right not to accept it. They do not like to accept responsibility for their mistakes. I bought a van that was in poor condition and was full of scratches. It wasn't the vehicle I had originally seen so I rejected it. The sales manager tried his best to convince me that the vehicle was perfectly acceptable. I showed the van to 1 of the salesman and he said he would be embarrassed to hand the vehicle over in that condition and he couldn't believe they had accepted it from another dealership in that state.

Keep pushing and never back down to them. Their customer service is terrible and they never keep you updated once things dont go there way. I eventually ended up getting a van that was £1200 more expensive, for the same price as the original van I bought. The sales manager has never once accepted he was wrong and has never been polite or professional about it, but I stood my ground and they eventually had to give me a better van for the same price. This let me know that I was right all along and he was just trying to maximise profits by trying to convince me it was in an acceptable state.

1 of the guys working there told me they messed up somebody's order not long ago, who had fully kitted out their vehicle and he said something along the lines of a £70,000 vehicle. They missed something off his order and he rejected the van. The salesman said they now have the most expensive test vehicle in the country.

Just ring VW Customer services, i found that things get sorted out rather quickly.

As most people have stated, stick to your guns, they will give in eventually. My neighbours California was delivered with a faulty seat rail. VW said it could not be corrected as it was a factory fit in the floor. He would not accept any compensation etc and eventually they reordered the whole van. My T6 window van was so late being delivered the retail price had increased which pushed it over £40k and so liable for the extra £400/yr road tax. Again VW eventually backed down but only after I threatened the small claims court. If the law is on your side, use it!

Back