Deaky’s Kombi to Camper journey

So what's your current max torque and max power?
Maybe dare to post dynos plot?

Reactions: mmi
So what's your current max torque and max power?
Maybe dare to post dynos plot?
It wasn’t remapped mate, the turbo was making strange noises so the map was taken off and the engine is back to standard…….. for now :D

I’m back after a few days away visiting Oli at @BognorMotors

After a few advisories on my MOT I decided it was time to give a little TLC to the old gel :cry:

so after a few conversations and guidance from Oli it was off to Bognor Regis staying a couple of nights in Chichester while @BognorMotors worked their magic.

The van went in for

Revo Stage 1 remap
TVS gearbox software update
Revo callipers and disks on the front
New front rear suspension bushes
Painted callipers and drilled disks on the rear
New wheels and tyres all round
Hunter alignment

Due to the turbo on my van making a few weird noises with the stage 1 map on, Oli advised that I shouldn’t proceed with the map and monitor the turbo. Great advice, I’m sure plenty of other places would have whacked it on and taken my money. Everything else went as sweet as a nut, a few WhatsApp photos of the height with adjustments until I was happy and the job was done. I’m over the moon with it, I’ll be back to Bognor soon to get the turbo sorted and the remap done. It will also give me chance to try out a local Thai that Oli recommend. I even found a bar selling Orval and Rodenbach Belgian beer :inlove:

View attachment 134459View attachment 134460View attachment 134461View attachment 134462View attachment 134463View attachment 134464View attachment 134465View attachment 134466View attachment 134467View attachment 134468
Love those Judds @Deaky - great taste!! And the calipers too - reckon I need to get my Judds off and get the paint out!

I’m back after a few days away visiting Oli at @BognorMotors

After a few advisories on my MOT I decided it was time to give a little TLC to the old gel :cry:

so after a few conversations and guidance from Oli it was off to Bognor Regis staying a couple of nights in Chichester while @BognorMotors worked their magic.

The van went in for

Revo Stage 1 remap
TVS gearbox software update
Revo callipers and disks on the front
New front rear suspension bushes
Painted callipers and drilled disks on the rear
New wheels and tyres all round
Hunter alignment

Due to the turbo on my van making a few weird noises with the stage 1 map on, Oli advised that I shouldn’t proceed with the map and monitor the turbo. Great advice, I’m sure plenty of other places would have whacked it on and taken my money. Everything else went as sweet as a nut, a few WhatsApp photos of the height with adjustments until I was happy and the job was done. I’m over the moon with it, I’ll be back to Bognor soon to get the turbo sorted and the remap done. It will also give me chance to try out a local Thai that Oli recommend. I even found a bar selling Orval and Rodenbach Belgian beer :inlove:

View attachment 134459View attachment 134460View attachment 134461View attachment 134462View attachment 134463View attachment 134464View attachment 134465View attachment 134466View attachment 134467View attachment 134468
Great to meet you and thanks for the business. We have to agree the van looks fantastic now, and drives better too ;-)

When I changed all the lower dash to black to match the door cards @Pauly ordered me some B pillar lower covers to match. It wasn't until they arrived that we realised they were different, the same as a Caravelle and to fit them would mean new upper covers, new roof lining :eek: and new seat belt fixings. I decided to plastidye them. Unfortunately this has scratched from swivelling the seats so I thought I'd bite the bullet and cover them in vinyl.

No going back now
View attachment 43518

It all worked out good though. The other side is going to be a bit more difficult as it will need a bit sewing in around the seat belt anchor. Fortunately I know a few sewing machinists :D

View attachment 43520

I've also added a pin at the top of the upper cover. The original was removed when the roof was fitted so this will just keep the top of the cover nice and tight against the roof lining

View attachment 43521

When Colin @VWVC fitted my velle floor he kindly gave me a threshold cover, again this was light grey. They're £115 from VW so I covered this in vinyl too

View attachment 43519

Well chuffed with the result :inlove:

View attachment 43524

View attachment 43523
View attachment 43522
Hi @Deaky
What was the pin you added to the top of the B pillar. I have a similar issue in that it’s not sitting right. I’ve dremelled out to allow the loom to sit there but I need to somehow fix it back.

Many thanks,

Hi @Deaky
What was the pin you added to the top of the B pillar. I have a similar issue in that it’s not sitting right. I’ve dremelled out to allow the loom to sit there but I need to somehow fix it back.

Many thanks,
It was one of the clips that holds the original hardboard sides to the van.

Excellent thread and as others have stated - very inspirational!

Do you mind me asking which existing cable you attached the smart shunt (gotta spell that carefully) to for monitoring the starter battery? Was it one that I’ll have as part of my factory aux battery setup or one you’d put in yourself for something else?

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Judging by the rest of the equipment it was the cable that runs to the DC->DC charger. I did the same thing on mine.

I don't believe there's a perm live anywhere under the seats.

Thanks,

Do you mean the big red cable that, before fitting the dc/dc, goes to the fuse/split charge relay coming from, I assume, the starter battery?

Thanks again!

Excellent thread and as others have stated - very inspirational!

Do you mind me asking which existing cable you attached the smart shunt (gotta spell that carefully) to for monitoring the starter battery? Was it one that I’ll have as part of my factory aux battery setup or one you’d put in yourself for something else?

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!
Yes the existing 10mm cable from the starter battery that connects to my DC-DC charger. I just spliced a cable to that so the smart shunt could monitor the starter battery voltage.

Me again!

Was wondering if you had a link to the light you installed to show when the dc/dc charger is active?

I’m installing a victron Orion so was wondering if this could be fitted to that too and if it’s as simple as bridging the output terminals with a fused wire going through the indicator lamp?

Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition

Cheers,

Dave

Me again!

Was wondering if you had a link to the light you installed to show when the dc/dc charger is active?

I’m installing a victron Orion so was wondering if this could be fitted to that too and if it’s as simple as bridging the output terminals with a fused wire going through the indicator lamp?

Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition

Cheers,

Dave
That wouldn't work, the light would always be on as the +ve to your leisure battery would always be +12v whether the DC-DC charger was charging or not. You could switch it via a voltage sensitive relay. Mine is connected to a dedicated signal output on the Redarc.

Back