Deaky’s Kombi to Camper journey

A bit more detail on the roof. Not long after having my roof fitted I was at campermart talking to someone from who told me a retrofit electric lift for Hilo would shortly be available. Despite a couple of years passing nothing has showed up. After seeing @Fish effortlessly opening and closing his at Oktoberfest I enquired with Vision Tech to see if I could purchase everything from them to fit myself but it was a no go.

I couldn't get it out of my head, I really wanted to fit this. After hours of research into actuators, loads of measurements I took the plunge and ordered some rams. First problem was getting brackets big enough off the shelf. None were available. The people I got the rams off were in the process of manufacturing their own. Over £100 per ram o_O So I made my own from stainless steel as you can see further up. The lower bracket that were already fitted were OK to use.

First thing you have to do is connect the rams to the controller and synchronise them. The Rams have a hall sensor in them which sends out a pulse every time the motor turns so the controller knows how many times each motor has turned. If one motor is turning faster than the other the controller slows it down to keep the rams in sync.

One of my biggest worries was what happens if the rams fail. My solution was to reverse the fixings of the bottom brackets. Originally they were bolted to a tapped hole in the roof cassette. I've drilled the thread out and fitted a nut and bolt. The bolt is accessible from inside so if the worst happens I can undo the bottom brackets while the roof is closed. The only issue to overcome in this scenario was the fact that the bottom brackets are sikaflex'd to the cassette to stop water coming into the van. I cleaned the sika off and replaced it with a rubber washer instead.

IMG_8316.jpg

The upper brackets are bolted to rivnuts in the upper roof frame, easy to replicate but the frame is 4mm box section, squeezing the rivnuts in place took some force o_O

IMG_8319.jpg

I routed the cable from the rams into the underside of the box section through a rubber grommet. Inside I drilled a bigger hole in the side of the box and fished the cable through to the inside of the roof.

IMG_8324.jpg

I then connected it all up. You have to give the roof an initial push up as the rams start to extend. When the roof is down there isn't much pivot. You might be able to overcome this by using heavier duty rams. I went for 900N force, but it's a trade off with the lifting speed. It all worked well but there was a few issues I have had to overcome.

My metal working is not perfect and there is a couple of mm difference in my brackets resulting on one side not sitting flat when the roof was down. I've overcome this by removing the metal gland that the cable passes through and sikaflexing the hole up to seal it. This has gained 5mm and the roof now sits down as it did before. The other issue however is something that I hadn't though about.

With the roof lowered, the original gas rams will still be pushing against the brackets. The electric rams are pulling when the roof is down. I've fitted them so that when the roof is up they are fully extended. When it's down, the rams pull until they cant pull any more and the controller detects the amps that they are using and stops them at a set level. There is quite a bit of play in the scissor hinges, resulting in the roof being a couple of mm further towards the back of the van when it's down. This has meant that the securing bolts at the front of the roof are slightly out of alignment. I can still get them in so I'm not to fussed. There are a couple of solutions I may carry out

1, reposition the brackets so that the rams are fully retracted and at their mechanical stop when the roof is down -
2, reposition the threaded nuts in the roof so they better line up with the securing bolts

So, would I do it again...……..

I probably would to be honest, there isn't much advantage when lifting the roof, you still have to push it up a little, however once the rams have taken over I can leave the roof to it's own thing and it will stop automatically when the roof is up.

Dropping the roof is soooo much easier though. Press the down button and stop it just before it's fully down and pull the canvas in, drop it a little more make sure nothing is caught, push the down button again and the lid is pulled down nice and tight. This is much better than trying to balance the roof on my head while pulling the canvas in. :laugh:

Plus.... its unique. Maybe the only synchronised ram electric lift HiLo ever. :cool:

Oh FFS. I've found this thread and now, no matter what I do to convert my Kombi I'll know it will be very much below what's possible!
On the other hand, what a great thread - so many ideas and suggestions and even though this will be my 2nd conversion, I'll definitely try to incorporate some of the ideas on here.
Hats off Deaky.

How did you route the power up into the roof @Deaky ? I assume you used aluminium profiles screwed down to the roof? Any pics of the installation?
The lower LED's come to the outside of the van right at the back behind the roof cassette, The upper ones are cabled through the roof cassette inside onto the bed then up to the lid of the roof, from there they go out through the box section around the lid to the lights. Both sets of lights are in plastic diffuser channel that's sikaflexed in place. I don't have any pics unfortunately.

With a view to not taking the awning with us for short weekends away I've been looking at solutions for storing the fridge in the back of the van. The problem is only an issue when the Mrs is with me and we're sleeping in the big bed :cry: With the multiflex board in the van you can't lift up the lid on the fridge unless the multiflex board is slid forward around 30cm. Then we loose living space in the van.

The best solution is a slide out draw that will enable me to keep the multiflex right at the back of the van and slide the fridge out to get my beers, win win :)

It will also be useful for my work tools.

View attachment 64664

View attachment 64665
hi deaky - how does this drawer fit to the rails/mf board? I have a drawer using big drawer slides and im looking to convert it when we have the seat rails and mf board.. would just like to see how it fixes in for you - i was thinking to plug into the rails somehow?

hi deaky - how does this drawer fit to the rails/mf board? I have a drawer using big drawer slides and im looking to convert it when we have the seat rails and mf board.. would just like to see how it fixes in for you - i was thinking to plug into the rails somehow?
The MF board attaches to the rails through it. You could fix it to the rails without the MF board

@Deaky

how did you get the tray out to fit your wireless charger? Did you have to remove all the comfort dash or is there a way to get that part out? Cheers:thumbsup:

@Deaky

how did you get the tray out to fit your wireless charger? Did you have to remove all the comfort dash or is there a way to get that part out? Cheers:thumbsup:
Remove the rubber mat and there is a screw at the back. Remove this then prise the whole surround is from around the gearstick.

Its a Passat W8 interior light. I brought it off flea bay a few years ago and transferred it over from my old van. Here is a link to one
www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172585183451

There is also an optional loom that makes fitting easier
www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172280110425
Hi, hope you can help. I just got one of these of eBay and installed it. However, the red backlight and led isn’t working. It came either the loom so can’t see how I could have done anything wrong. However, one of the wires on the loom is separate and not connected to anything.

Hi, hope you can help. I just got one of these of eBay and installed it. However, the red backlight and led isn’t working. It came either the loom so can’t see how I could have done anything wrong. However, one of the wires on the loom is separate and not connected to anything.
That's the wire for the ambient light. You need to extend it and run it down the A pillar and connect it to the grey /blue wire behind the light switch or instrument dimmer switch.

Ok, thanks. I thought it was too easy just to swap. Any useful guide on getting a wire to the switch??

Ok, thanks. I thought it was too easy just to swap. Any useful guide on getting a wire to the switch??
Prise off the cover from the grab handle
Remove the 2 screws and handle
Pull away the A pillar cover
Remove the end cap from the side of the dash
Turn the light switch to 0, push it in and turn to the right then pull the whole assembly out removing the cable from the back
Remove the screw holding the light switch bezel in place and prise out the bezel
Unclip the lower dash fascia and remove the cable from the dimmer switch

Now take your pic and grey/blue wire will be the ambient circuit.

Fish the wire across the head lining and down the b pillar into the side of the dash.

Refitting is the reverse :thumbsup:

thanks. Really helpful. Last stupid question. What type of wire do I need to run down? Something specific? Something I can pickup in B&Q at the weekend?

thanks. Really helpful. Last stupid question. What type of wire do I need to run down? Something specific? Something I can pickup in B&Q at the weekend?
Nothing specific, it’s only powering a couple of LED’s Anything will do but it will make things easier if it’s about the same thickness as the cable you’re going to splice it to.

Deaky your build thread is amazing. You seem to be the man in the know for leds so do you mind if I ask a question. I'm in the process of adding a halo roof to my van and looking to order some rgb strip lighting for it, what would you recommend, the 60 x 5050 SMD or 30 x 5050 SMD?

Deaky your build thread is amazing. You seem to be the man in the know for leds so do you mind if I ask a question. I'm in the process of adding a halo roof to my van and looking to order some rgb strip lighting for it, what would you recommend, the 60 x 5050 SMD or 30 x 5050 SMD?
The only difference between those two is the number of LED's /m. All mine are 60's

Back