[Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

Currently have the Victron Orion connected with a spare fuse way ignition live and the charger activates as it should. See below...first 2 with ignition off, second 2 with engine running. Hence why I asked the question why I couldnt leave as it is providing I dont leave ignition on for any lengthy period? @Dellmassive are you suggesting I unplug the ignition fuse to see how it performs?Screenshot_20200506-145128.jpgScreenshot_20200506-145138.jpgScreenshot_20200506-145158.jpgScreenshot_20200506-145205.jpg

Yes, if you like..

But that will just stop the battery drain while sitting parked with ignition on but engine off.....

Try it for a week as a comparison.

Yes, if you like..

But that will just stop the battery drain while sitting parked with ignition on but engine off.....

Try it for a week as a comparison.
Okay I can try it but a little confused. Do I need to put the wire bridge back in the orion or supply a live straight from battery to one of the pins.so many different examples in book and not that clear to me, Sorry ,doh!!!!

Okay I can try it but a little confused. Do I need to put the wire bridge back in the orion or supply a live straight from battery to one of the pins.so many different examples in book and not that clear to me, Sorry ,doh!!!!
to go to default "charger mode" leave the wire bridge out - H/L with no connection (remove wire bridge)

1588784651926.png

lol, yes sorry. my fault. . . .

typo.

as per the user guide . . .

"step 5 - reconnect the wire bridge. H/L link"

lol, yes sorry. my fault. . . .

typo.

as per the user guide . . .

"step 5 - reconnect the wire bridge. H/L link"
Thanks Dell, okay, all done and now appears to be working as per below screenshotScreenshot_20200506-184554.jpgScreenshot_20200506-184630.jpg. It just takes a minute to register between off and charging on the app. Once again, thanks a lot for the help with this, its appreciated. I will leave it set up like this and see how it goes, cheers pal.

DC-DC Charger Test/Review . . .

REDARC BCDC1250D Sn-00035 =]

( first in UK when i got it from @travelvolts )
( i got the Victron Orion 12/12/30 from there too)
( Electrics | Travelvolts )

This time we have the Redarc BCDC1250D, now I've already got a BCDC1240LV and love it to bits . . .

in fact it might be my favorite DC-DC charger yet, due to its small compact size, rugged design and simplicity.

So why change ? (Redarc> Orion> Renogy> Redarc)

well this one is 50A where as the old one was 40A and this new one is the "D" version meaning it can take Solar input too. Oh and it can do Lifepo4 Lithium now as well =]

so better all round.

The design is the same with a slight change to the front panel LED arrangement.

View attachment 68520

View attachment 68534

*****************************************************************************************

Heres what the Redarc has to say about it:

The REDARC BCDC1250D In-vehicle Battery Charger is a 12V 50A In-vehicle DC to DC battery charger. It is the latest variant of the award-winning BCDC Dual range and features REDARC’s Smart Start technology.

Styled with a red line running down its back tells you there’s something different about this dual battery charger. A 50-amp charging output makes it the most powerful in REDARC’s BCDC range.

The BCDC1250D has been developed to provide a higher current output, it features an additional charging stage known as SoftStart which has been engineered to handle more demanding applications.

Featuring a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) solar regulator, the BCDC1250D will charge from both solar and the alternator simultaneously. And, with built-in 'Green Power Priority' it will select solar charging first, meaning less load on the alternator.

Suitable for 12 or 24-volt vehicle systems, the unit will also work with either standard or variable/smart alternators.

It is compatible with all common types of batteries used in automotive and recreational vehicles such as AGM, Gel, standard lead acid, Calcium and LiFeP04.

As a guide, the BCDC1250D is used for battery bank sizes over 200AH. For smaller batteries of 75-200AH REDARC recommends the BCDC1225D.

Proven and Tested

The award-winning technology in the BCDC has been independently verified and tested to ensure battery life is maximised, charging your battery to a proven 100%.

Built in Australia and tested for our unique conditions, the DC to DC battery charger will work in the extreme heat of the Simpson Desert, up to 80°C and can handle deep water crossings at Cape York – water, dust and vibration are no match for this charger.

If you’re heading out into the bush and want to get there and back again safely – you can trust REDARC.

Features
  • 50amp output makes it the most powerful in REDARC's BCDC range
  • Separate DC and solar charging inputs
  • Maximises the performance and life of your auxiliary battery
  • Simultaneous DC and solar charging with Green Power Priority
  • Suits 12V/24V standard and variable voltage/smart alternators
  • Suitable for AGM, GEL, standard lead acid, calcium and LiFeP04 batteries

here is the standard setup for AGM . . . . . .

View attachment 68521

And here is the Lithium setp:

View attachment 68522

and specs . . .

View attachment 68523

So lets see it in action . . .

I "again" have fitted 50A Anderson connectors so i can easily swap these units in & out.

I've fitted a blue bullet connector for the IGN/BCM RUN . . . . and thats it - just plug and play.

i haven't connected any solar in this example. (i prefer a separate solar controller)

you can see how small it is compared to other dc-dc units, which is great if you are short on space.

View attachment 68524

... the Anderson plugs are labled. . .

View attachment 68525

you can see it tucks away niceley in front of the AUX battery . . .

View attachment 68526

the front panel readout is slightly different . . .

View attachment 68527

and the rear has a handy wire chart . . . . .

View attachment 68528

The first test was, standard engine running . . . . which gave us a nice 14.6v (upto 50A) and a Bulk,Abs,Float charge . .

View attachment 68530

the charge profile look like this . . .

View attachment 68531

View attachment 68606

Next up was the "Auto VSR" mode, where by the starter battery was connected to a EHU (Victron 12v/15A charger)

You canb see that same as other DC-DC chargers the Redarc started chargeing the AUX battery even though the igniotion was OFF. - which is nice.

View attachment 68532

here you can see when the EHU was switch on . . . then off.

View attachment 68533

Now i know it has a MPPT solar input, but im not sure yet if the Solar will reverse charge the starter battery as well as the AUX battery. (ill upodate this when i find out, untill then well assume it does not)

You can run upto four of these units in parellel.

The box comes with a couple of crimp/solder ends and bits,

The install guide calls for fitting MIDI fuses (60A) and holders . . . The unit its self is basically water proof and as such comes with 9" wire loom.

So you have to crimp/solder you own cables/midi fuses/rings on yourself. . . . . but that no problem.

shown over here: Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

and here : Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

Edit:

Auto VSR test with Victron EHU 12v/15A charger . .

The redarc kicks in then it sees the starter battery voltage rise, due to the victron charger.

so same as the other dc-dc units, the EHU charger on the starter battery will charge both the battery's.

for the test below the charger was connected at 8am and disconnected at 3pm. . . . .

this is the BM2 readout for the starter battery.

#
View attachment 68608

you can see the 3 stages boost, abs, float from the victron charger.

View attachment 68609

this is the BM2 readout for the AUX battery.

#
View attachment 68610

here you can see an initial boost stage . . . then 13.2v float stage. (battery was charged already)

View attachment 68611

this is the combined BM3 readout.

View attachment 68612

following on from the Redarc 50A DC-DC install

here is the power logger for a more "normal day" . . . .

this is the setup . . . Redarc DC-DC with Anderson connectors and a BCM/RUN feed.

20200509_110852.jpg

here is the starter battery:

Screenshot_20200509-110808_Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20200509-110759_Battery Monitor.jpg

and this is the AUX battery:

Screenshot_20200509-110831_Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20200509-110827_Battery Monitor.jpg

and this is the BM3 combined chart . . .

Screenshot_20200509-110737_Multi-Batt Mon.jpgScreenshot_20200509-110730_Multi-Batt Mon.jpg

you can see the start/stop effect on the starter battery . . . .

and the good solid operation of the Redarc on the AUX battery . . . .

ABLEMAIL AMS 12/12/30 ADDED

1589274399526.png

Can anyone with these help fill in the missing data?

d250sa
ring
sterling

@Garny999....
I've had my Orion Dc/Dc charger running in my van for a few months automatically without any issues, by leaving the remote bridge in, the unit senses the ‘engine run detection’ Mechanism which basically Only kicks in when the alternator voltage rises above the ‘input voltage lock out’ parameter(set in the app)....basically plug’n’ play.
however an ehu charger can fool this Mechanism which will trigger it on, with The bridge in.

@Dellmassive
I added an override function yesterday controlled from a spare switch in the dash, as per the photos

22A9CB30-F296-4DD5-8AA3-EE1D98206670.jpeg
Charger off
7CDC3D8D-4A3A-40AC-8146-8D92E30331AB.jpeg
Charger engaged,with switch illuminated and no engine running(forced charged!)

@Garny999....
I've had my Orion Dc/Dc charger running in my van for a few months automatically without any issues, by leaving the remote bridge in, the unit senses the ‘engine run detection’ Mechanism which basically Only kicks in when the alternator voltage rises above the ‘input voltage lock out’ parameter(set in the app)....basically plug’n’ play.
however an ehu charger can fool this Mechanism which will trigger it on, with The bridge in.

@Dellmassive
I added an override function yesterday controlled from a spare switch in the dash, as per the photos

View attachment 69615
Charger off
View attachment 69616
lol . . . . the heated screen button =] .. . . . . illuminated too. (any reason for the Hard-Override?)

DC-DC Charger Test/Review . . .

REDARC BCDC1250D Sn-00035 =]

( first in UK when i got it from @travelvolts )
( i got the Victron Orion 12/12/30 from there too)
( Electrics | Travelvolts )

This time we have the Redarc BCDC1250D, now I've already got a BCDC1240LV and love it to bits . . .

in fact it might be my favorite DC-DC charger yet, due to its small compact size, rugged design and simplicity.

So why change ? (Redarc> Orion> Renogy> Redarc)

well this one is 50A where as the old one was 40A and this new one is the "D" version meaning it can take Solar input too. Oh and it can do Lifepo4 Lithium now as well =]

so better all round.

The design is the same with a slight change to the front panel LED arrangement.

View attachment 68520

View attachment 68534

*****************************************************************************************

Heres what the Redarc has to say about it:

The REDARC BCDC1250D In-vehicle Battery Charger is a 12V 50A In-vehicle DC to DC battery charger. It is the latest variant of the award-winning BCDC Dual range and features REDARC’s Smart Start technology.

Styled with a red line running down its back tells you there’s something different about this dual battery charger. A 50-amp charging output makes it the most powerful in REDARC’s BCDC range.

The BCDC1250D has been developed to provide a higher current output, it features an additional charging stage known as SoftStart which has been engineered to handle more demanding applications.

Featuring a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) solar regulator, the BCDC1250D will charge from both solar and the alternator simultaneously. And, with built-in 'Green Power Priority' it will select solar charging first, meaning less load on the alternator.

Suitable for 12 or 24-volt vehicle systems, the unit will also work with either standard or variable/smart alternators.

It is compatible with all common types of batteries used in automotive and recreational vehicles such as AGM, Gel, standard lead acid, Calcium and LiFeP04.

As a guide, the BCDC1250D is used for battery bank sizes over 200AH. For smaller batteries of 75-200AH REDARC recommends the BCDC1225D.

Proven and Tested

The award-winning technology in the BCDC has been independently verified and tested to ensure battery life is maximised, charging your battery to a proven 100%.

Built in Australia and tested for our unique conditions, the DC to DC battery charger will work in the extreme heat of the Simpson Desert, up to 80°C and can handle deep water crossings at Cape York – water, dust and vibration are no match for this charger.

If you’re heading out into the bush and want to get there and back again safely – you can trust REDARC.

Features
  • 50amp output makes it the most powerful in REDARC's BCDC range
  • Separate DC and solar charging inputs
  • Maximises the performance and life of your auxiliary battery
  • Simultaneous DC and solar charging with Green Power Priority
  • Suits 12V/24V standard and variable voltage/smart alternators
  • Suitable for AGM, GEL, standard lead acid, calcium and LiFeP04 batteries

here is the standard setup for AGM . . . . . .

View attachment 68521

And here is the Lithium setp:

View attachment 68522

and specs . . .

View attachment 68523

So lets see it in action . . .

I "again" have fitted 50A Anderson connectors so i can easily swap these units in & out.

I've fitted a blue bullet connector for the IGN/BCM RUN . . . . and thats it - just plug and play.

i haven't connected any solar in this example. (i prefer a separate solar controller)

you can see how small it is compared to other dc-dc units, which is great if you are short on space.

View attachment 68524

... the Anderson plugs are labled. . .

View attachment 68525

you can see it tucks away niceley in front of the AUX battery . . .

View attachment 68526

the front panel readout is slightly different . . .

View attachment 68527

and the rear has a handy wire chart . . . . .

View attachment 68528

The first test was, standard engine running . . . . which gave us a nice 14.6v (upto 50A) and a Bulk,Abs,Float charge . .

View attachment 68530

the charge profile look like this . . .

View attachment 68531

View attachment 68606

Next up was the "Auto VSR" mode, where by the starter battery was connected to a EHU (Victron 12v/15A charger)

You canb see that same as other DC-DC chargers the Redarc started chargeing the AUX battery even though the igniotion was OFF. - which is nice.

View attachment 68532

here you can see when the EHU was switch on . . . then off.

View attachment 68533

Now i know it has a MPPT solar input, but im not sure yet if the Solar will reverse charge the starter battery as well as the AUX battery. (ill upodate this when i find out, untill then well assume it does not)

You can run upto four of these units in parellel.

The box comes with a couple of crimp/solder ends and bits,

The install guide calls for fitting MIDI fuses (60A) and holders . . . The unit its self is basically water proof and as such comes with 9" wire loom.

So you have to crimp/solder you own cables/midi fuses/rings on yourself. . . . . but that no problem.

shown over here: Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

and here : Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

Edit:

Auto VSR test with Victron EHU 12v/15A charger . .

The redarc kicks in then it sees the starter battery voltage rise, due to the victron charger.

so same as the other dc-dc units, the EHU charger on the starter battery will charge both the battery's.

for the test below the charger was connected at 8am and disconnected at 3pm. . . . .

this is the BM2 readout for the starter battery.

#
View attachment 68608

you can see the 3 stages boost, abs, float from the victron charger.

View attachment 68609

this is the BM2 readout for the AUX battery.

#
View attachment 68610

here you can see an initial boost stage . . . then 13.2v float stage. (battery was charged already)

View attachment 68611

this is the combined BM3 readout.

View attachment 68612

wanna see how the Redarc BCDC1250D works with a 110W Lensun "Mobile solar panel" stuck on the roof with magnets ! . . . . . . . ?

check it out over on the Mobile Solar thread. . . . . . .

@Garny999....

@Dellmassive

View attachment 69615
Charger off
View attachment 69616
Thank you for this information @Lowlec . I have the Victron EHU charger but havent tested it yet. I may change back to the ignition live setup so that I can pull the piggy back fuse when the temperature drops below freezing. I just need to ensure I dont leave the ignition on which I cant see me doing now I know about the draining of starter battery.

well here we go:
once again i done it - so you dont have to. =]
we finally have the true about the Votronic DC-DC stanby charger.
I've always said these must just be diode/resistor based . . . . . . now we find out whats really inside one . . .
this is what the manufactures say . . .

- automatic recharging and trickle charge of the starter battery or the auxiliary battery,
- this trickle charge is effected automatically and can be recognized by an increased voltage of the second battery.
- Overcharging of the second battery is excluded, since the charging voltage is reduced by at least 0.6 V and the charging current is limited for 12V to 2 A and for 24V to 2A.

1589545539778.png

so I decided to get my own . . . it must be very popular as its been out of stock for ages . . .
but I managed to get one after an email - stock notification from 12volt planet. . . . so £27.17 later I had one.

The teardown. . .
this is how it comes.

20200515_131242.jpg

with some fancy instructions . . .

20200515_131308.jpg20200515_131312.jpg

luck for me they didn't even bother potting it . . .

20200515_131321.jpg

you ready for this . . .

you sure?

20200515_131446.jpg

Boom !!! - don't wanna say "told you so" . . . . but I told you. a diode and couple of resistors, and a couple of PTC fuses?
so is this worth £27 . . . . . . . ?
obviously not.
is it a smart charger that automatically charges your battery . . . . NO.
could you make your own version? . . . Yes.

here's the PCB Front:

20200515_131504.jpg

and back . . .

20200515_131458.jpg

components . . .

20200515_131520.jpg

and track layout . . .

20200515_131620.jpg

20200515_131635.jpg

. and the connector . . .

20200515_131820.jpg

I can't say I'm really disappointed. . . . . because its exactly what I expected.

it's basically just joining the two battery's together, via a diode. - so current will only flow one way.

and a resistor - to limit current to below 2A or so.

DZ9A PTC poly resettable fuses.
208-8 R47 10% power resistor
xxx diode
xxx gey blob component.

so how does it work?
well, most people have solar on the Aux battery,
so one of these will be connected between the two batteries. when the Aux battery "charged by solar" is 0.6v ish above the starter battery.
current will start to flow . . . up to 2A or so. and effectively help trickle charge the starter battery.
a clever idea, with basic components.
there is another option . . . . that's smarter . . . . I'm just waiting to get hold of one.

TBC:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of fitting a CTEK kit into my T6. I brought the kit from Just Kampers. I've got my cable from the battery routed in, & the ignition feed, but I'm struggling to find somewhere to connect this to.
IMG_20200526_102421.jpg

I've got the fuse box exposed, I'd found on here somewhere that the centre bank of fuses are ignition live ones, but every one I try is live with the ignition off.
The only ignition live feed I can find is the black wire coming from the red relay at the bottom right of the fuse box.
Can I use this?

I'm in the process of fitting a CTEK kit into my T6. I brought the kit from Just Kampers. I've got my cable from the battery routed in, & the ignition feed, but I'm struggling to find somewhere to connect this to.
View attachment 71530

I've got the fuse box exposed, I'd found on here somewhere that the centre bank of fuses are ignition live ones, but every one I try is live with the ignition off.
The only ignition live feed I can find is the black wire coming from the red relay at the bottom right of the fuse box.
Can I use this?
End of day update, I did a bit more research & prodding with the multimeter & found an ignition feed.
All seems to work nicely, the correct lights come on on the CTEK unit.
IMG_20200526_154306.jpg

End of day update, I did a bit more research & prodding with the multimeter & found an ignition feed.
All seems to work nicely, the correct lights come on on the CTEK unit.
View attachment 71575
well done, install is looking good. . . . . whats the spec?

the ignition feeds are the center line in the lwr dash fuse box (SC fuse box)

well done, install is looking good. . . . . whats the spec?

the ignition feeds are the center line in the lwr dash fuse box (SC fuse box)

That's just where I found one in the end.

My spec, it was the kit from JK, with a 110ah Advanced AGM battery from Advanced Battery Supplies.
I'm going to run a couple of 12V outlets & run some LED lights.
I do Motorbike Track Days, Classic Trials, Cycling racing & the odd camping trip. So it will be used mainly for running a cool box, & charging stuff.

Hi. Been trying to read the whole thread, I'm not electrical minded and some of you definitely are so I'm struggling to keep up. New products seem to come along throughout the thread too which complicates things.
Perhaps if I say what I need someone can advise on a suitable product. Price is a factor so I cant just buy the best incase i need features i probably wont in the foreseeable future.
I run a Shuttle and looking at putting the battery under the rear seats rather than passenger seat so i can keep the valuable storage. I dont intend to have a fixed roof solar panel (got a roof tent) but would like to use a portable suit case type in the future to help top up the leisure battery. Looking at one battery to start with as my power needs are quite low.
What system do you recomend and approx price excluding battery. No OEM wiring or upgraded alternator fitted. Also anyone fitting these systems if I go that route.

Many Thanks
Grant

Back