Cam Belt Re-call

toonaroon

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Having had my 2017 t32 150ps kombi in for a re call last week, I was told that the cam belt that is fitted is OK, THIS BELT IS A DAYCO BELT, the other one which apparently is at fault I do not know, they were a bit reluctant to tell me!!!

It was only by chance that I phoned them and they told me about the re call ????

Please phone your dealer if you are concerned

Hope this may be of some use...

I was going to check mine but the cover seems reluctant to come off, anyone got any tips or tried this?

cam-belt-guard.png

I was going to check mine but the cover seems reluctant to come off, anyone got any tips or tried this?

View attachment 57745

Fingers crossed @Loz it's a dayco, as per usual they just would not be specific about what the problem was! I was not sweating to much having only done 13k but warranty is up in March causing me yet another quandary...(extended not taken out when purchased)

If it is a Gates problem, I guess it is a specific batch affecting certain engines/VINs. Gates are normally a very good brand of belts.

If it is a Gates problem, I guess it is a specific batch affecting certain engines/VINs. Gates are normally a very good brand of belts.

Sorry I could not get more information from them, I did ask what the problem was and just got the answer "if it's the at fault one we will have to book you in for a belt change" so I was just relieved when they said mine was OK, there was no mention of VINs or certain engines. I'd be interested to find out myself..

Success, you need to pull up on the protruding knob on the side whilst you use a flat screwdriver to release each clip and then it pulls up.
I cannot see any markings on the belt to identify it. I took a slow-mo video whilst running so I'll review that to see if I can see it.
ED5D5988-5119-4CE6-9F7B-DCCE3BA21B2C.jpeg

Success, you need to pull up on the protruding knob on the side whilst you use a flat screwdriver to release each clip and then it pulls up.
I cannot see any markings on the belt to identify it. I took a slow-mo video whilst running so I'll review that to see if I can see it.
View attachment 57752
It looks in pretty good condition Loz.

I'm due to have a new cam belt fitted later this week. Do I need to check which cam belt is being fitted about that its OEM VW?

Update, this is the reply I had back today. 11/01/2020

Hi Anthony,

Sorry has been so busy here!

I believe there are certain VINs that are affected although we are unable to tell from our end.

If they do have any concerns they should call their dealer with their reg or chassis and they will be able to tell them if the recall applies to their vehicle.

Hope this helps...

I have just dropped mine in for a service, the guys at SMG Tonbridge confirmed it's a Gates Timing belt. He even showed me the recall which stated a Gates Toothed Cam Belt.
Not sure if mine has it, guess I find out when I pick it up :thumbsup:

I pulled the cover of mine, had a look, but any writing that was on it has gone now. So none the wiser.

Back