Day van leisure power query.

leeasy

Hello all,
I’m trying to piece together what I need to add a leisure battery, split charge and inverter in my 16 plate 140 Kombi day van. There’s a lot of threads of information to follow and the further I look into it, the more uncertainty is added, with the majority aimed more at campers.
My hope is that if I describe what I’d like to get out of the system and the equipment I’ve settled on, someone on the forum who knows this voodoo will offer guidance.....please.
Although the system will come in for other functions, the main aim is to try and run an Xbox360 on the move, as our campsite choices are 9/10 times ones with hookups to our standard camping extension, so the van system wouldn’t be required to power the Xbox (very rarely anyway). I’ve read a lot about the effects on the console when moving, heat, power usage etc but I’ll give it a shot.

My planned equipment is:
CTEK 250 with associated wiring
12v 110ah Leoch Xtreme AGM Battery NCC Class A
1500w Inverter with remote control
Cello 12v tv.
Would I need an isolator?.

Will this be adequate to my needs, advice very much appreciated.
Ta.

Have a quick look at the power section.

Will do, ta.

Careful of the type of inverter you buy - some kit will only run properly off a full sine wave converter (like my coffee machines!) which are much more expensive. If possible trial run the xbox on the inverter before you commit.

Careful of the type of inverter you buy - some kit will only run properly off a full sine wave converter (like my coffee machines!) which are much more expensive. If possible trial run the xbox on the inverter before you commit.
Or just get a pure sine inverter from the off and not pay twice....... =)

Which is what I did - pay twice that is!
However, if you don’t need a pure sine wave inverter, why go to that additional expense?
Yeh, think I've paid 10 times over...... now.

Thing is most DC power bricks dont like MSW inverters and start buzzing and getting hot. You wont know until you plug something in and test it.

I've got loads of MSW, but have replaced them all with pure...

Now I feel happy with the fact that anything I plug in will be safe, and not go thermo nuclear like my Delwalt 24v battery charger and laptop power brick.

I followed the advice given and ran my plan by Martyn @travelvolts
Settled on:
CTEK 250
XL wiring kit
Leoch Xtreme 110ah Battery
Victron Phoenix Pure Sine wave 12v 500w.
Cello 12/240v TV

We’ll see how the Xbox copes at that.
Cheers.

Following this with interest, its something I'd like to implement in my van in the near future. @leeasy will you be posting any updates?

Christ....now theres different types of converters to consider, oh the stress o_O

Maiden voyage went well, no apparent problems as widely reported on the interweb. No skips, freezes or anything like that and this was on Lincolnshire’s finest B roads. I did consider the heat produced by the box itself and the power brick so the Xbox was on the seat on one of those bean bag tray things that you’d have on your lap in front of the telly, then some foam rubber under that. I made a “cradle” from cable ties and suspended the power brick under the seat as shown (patent pending) and It didn’t get warm at all, plus it tidied things up with the power cable to the box coming up through the seat fold. Next thing will be to come up with a more practical solution to have the Xbox under the seat.

76419420-2771-4391-91C2-287B4F39B9D5.jpeg

Back