"Day trip" awning / canopy

ZipcodeUK

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So I'm on the hunt for a canopy / awning for short trips. Something that can be put up in 5-10min, packs down easy and doesn't take up a lot of room. I want it for short trips with the kids where we may not be camping for more than a day where using our large awning is not really feasible.
Or for European trips where I'm on my own so I don't need too much space, just somewhere to do my cooking, sitting in the sun / hiding from the rain.
I ideally want two sides as a minimum....removable sides would also be ok.
Any one got any solutions they could share / recommend.. or help steer me away from?

The below items are two solutions I quite like.

IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg

Another idea is the Reimo tailgate cabin tent, I love mine as its so quick to put up. Throw it over the closed tailgate, arrange it roughly into a tent shape, open the tailgate and up it goes. Shove a few pegs in & Bob Sherunkel. Its not a drive-away (it has no poles) but its so quick & easy:

s-l500.jpg

Link:
REIMO UPGRADE 2 TAILGATE CABIN TENT Awning/Storage/Garage for VW/Tepee/Berlingo | eBay

In between camps, it also fits my Peugeot Tepee!
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Khyam Sun Canopy [1] which we bought four years ago and I see that it is still available. I note that there are also side panels [2] which I don't think were available then. There are just three poles, three guy lines & pegs and the fabric which takes up very little space in the van. The edge of the cloth slides in the track in the Reimo Multirail on the side our camper and the canopy is quick to put up & take down. In spite of its name, we seem to use ours more to keep the rain out of the van than as a sun shade.

The links show that the items are currently out of stock pending this year's delivery. It was just the same in 2013 when we bought ours. When they did arrive, we had to be quick because they sold out in a very short time - as though Khyam did not make enough for the demand.

I would recommend this as a minimalist canopy but I don't have a good picture of ours. Google "Khyam Sun Canopy" and select "Images" and you will find quite a few picture of it on the web.

Richard

[1] Khyam Sun Canopy [Roof Section] - Driveaway Awnings from Khyam UK
[2] Khyam Sun Canopy [Side Panels] - Driveaway Awnings from Khyam UK

I'm also looking into something similar. Might email Khyam about their stock. I'm also considering the Reimo Palm Beach awning.

Reimo Palm Beach 3.0m LWB Sun Canopy | Sun Canopies | Camperco

Not sure how waterproof it is though. Anyone had one?

I do like that option too. Seen a few images of them. As long as it's reletively water resistant / proof..... then all I'll do is treat it with a few coats of Absil or something similar to help prevent water retention.

Outdoor revolution used to do this option too, but it's about 2-3 years old and they don't do anything thats quite as sheltered any more.
Outdoor Revolution Tech Canopy 200 - Caravan Stuff 4 U

The replacement is this, which now that i've looked at it on my big monitor could be a great option too:
Techline Canopi - Canopies - Accessories

Stitches and Steel do one similar, but I haven't seen any feed back on the quality.

Liking the look of the Techline Canopi! Looks like it's made of some durable stuff and the zip back sides are a handy feature. Good find.

Liking the look of the Techline Canopi! Looks like it's made of some durable stuff and the zip back sides are a handy feature. Good find.

I have the outdoor revolution t5 Kombi awning and am really pleased with the quality, so I won't be hesitating to pull the trigger on the techline canopi if it turns out to be about the best functioning option around.

I'm also looking to buy this adapter as I have the small canopy already (use it with the t5 Kombi awning). This would be great for short trips to the coast or just watching some sport and needing some shade etc....
Movelite Canopy Retro Connector - Premium Air-Frame - Driveaway Awnings

Also looking at the Techline Canopi as it looks a quality and reasonably priced bit of kit for what I want.

Just a quick question as I guess its related, can anyone recommend an awning rail, and would I need to put some sealant on the bolts to stop water ingress, as people on here fitting roof rails have been having issues ? thanks.

Also looking at the Techline Canopi as it looks a quality and reasonably priced bit of kit for what I want.

Just a quick question as I guess its related, can anyone recommend an awning rail, and would I need to put some sealant on the bolts to stop water ingress, as people on here fitting roof rails have been having issues ? thanks.

I've just called a stockest of that canopy and they going to call me back with some pricing.

Rail wise, I'm looking at this option. It's the only thing I can find that will fit under my roof bars.. but I've not spoken to anyone with one or seen one in the flesh. I'll get it powder coated sating black so it matches my roof bars though!
VW T5 / T6 Awning Rail SWB for Roof Bars

Yes, you definitely need to seal the mounts up well. I have a bit water coming in on one of the front mounting holes on mine currently so I guess VW didn't put enough sealer under my roof bar. I'll be inspecting it when I remove the bars to fit the rail.
Apparently there is a captive nut in the roof, i intend to use some ptfe tape o the bolt too so hopefully with the sealer it will keep water out!

I've found a couple of stockists and they are priced at £169, I would like to hear some more reviews before buying though @ZipcodeUK .
I haven't purchased the rail or roof bars yet, so its best for me to buy and fit them both at the same time, and obviously put some sealant on, as its an easy fix for what could be an expensive mistake.

Stitches and Steel do one similar, but I haven't seen any feed back on the quality .

Their stuff is actually really good looking gear. But their sun canopy is £300..... not saying it's not worth it quality wise..... just not worth it to me compared to some other options.
The do have some nice multi rail options and so on though. I like their stuff a lot.

I almost bit the bullet and got myself a Vango kela airbeam, but its only really me that goes away in the van, as my teenage daughter has lost interest, so I wouldn't need one for extra sleeping space, just for rainy days or cooking, I have an airbeam tent if I needed the extra space.

I've gone for the Kirvans rail sail. I like the flexibility of it, loads of different set ups. Cause I'm a tart, I've got some S&S Carbon poles for it :laugh:

I've gone for the Kirvans rail sail. I like the flexibility of it, loads of different set ups. Cause I'm a tart, I've got some S&S Carbon poles for it :laugh:
I like your thinking, use those carbon poles for when you want to do a bit of fishing :rofl:

Are the vw original bolts long enough to fit the rail and bars or would you advise longer ones.

Another idea is the Reimo tailgate cabin tent, I love mine as its so quick to put up. Throw it over the closed tailgate, arrange it roughly into a tent shape, open the tailgate and up it goes. Shove a few pegs in & Bob Sherunkel. Its not a drive-away (it has no poles) but its so quick & easy:

View attachment 17188

Link:
REIMO UPGRADE 2 TAILGATE CABIN TENT Awning/Storage/Garage for VW/Tepee/Berlingo | eBay

In between camps, it also fits my Peugeot Tepee!
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for that @Phil_G its great for the Shuttle where the side canopy isn’t really any practical use

Hi, new member, come via a google search for reimo sun canopy review. Have a kampa air awning but also looking for day trip/stop over shelter. @ZipcodeUK, may I ask what the other awning was in your original post? On rainy days be good to have a canopy for shelter for access that is also not too cumbersome to setup or take down when wet, guess they all say don't use in windy conditions. Reimo style as just a canopy seems good with ths option of side panel for a bit of shelter. Any updates on the ideas from your orignal post and other's ideas. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back