There's less that 1mm difference in the overall diameter of the tyres when new. I'd guess that one pair is worn more than the other, but even so, the rolling circumference difference will be negligible.

It would annoy the hell out of me to have odd tyres, but if you can live with that, there's no reason why you shouldn't use them.

Though technically there is nothing wrong with those tyre sizes for those wheels, it seems a bit odd.

Just about to have four new continental 215 60 r17 tyres on my devonport wheels
Am I doing the right thing or should I go for less expensive tyres . I’ve been quoted £146 per tyre fitted and balanced .
it’s bothering seeing people selling entire sets of wheels with almost unused tyres for less than this !

Last edited:
Just about to have four new continental 215 60 r17 tyres on my devenport wheels
Am I doing the right thing or should I go for less expensive tyres . I’ve been quoted £146 per tyre fitted and balanced .
it’s bothering seeing people selling entire sets of wheels with almost unused tyres for less than this !
The difference in braking difference between premium tyres and cheap tyres can be the difference between a crash and a near miss, not an area to look for cost savings IMO.
If you can find a cheap brand that performs and lasts as well as the Continentals then fair play, but in most cases you get what you pay for.

Worth shopping around for your chosen tyres if that was just a price from a local place or something, though. Prices can vary pretty wildly.

I agree it is challenging, I picked up a set of new Devonport alloys with Continentals on delivery mileage only for £500, ironically I am changing direction and have these for sale unused still with delivery miles only, shame you are a little too far away.

The difference in braking difference between premium tyres and cheap tyres can be the difference between a crash and a near miss, not an area to look for cost savings IMO.
If you can find a cheap brand that performs and lasts as well as the Continentals then fair play, but in most cases you get what you pay for.
I think he's referring to people selling delivery mileage or pretty much new OEM wheels and tyres, not the price point budgets that retailers fit to aftermarket wheels.

I reckon you'd buy a set of delivery mileage wheels and tyres for £500, then get £200 back by selling your old wheels with worn or no tyres on them. Or you could always keep them and fit winters, therefore making 2 sets of wheels and tyres last twice as long.

I reckon you'd buy a set of delivery mileage wheels and tyres for £500, then get £200 back by selling your old wheels with worn or no tyres on them. Or you could always keep them and fit winters, therefore making 2 sets of wheels and tyres last twice as long.
I love this idea it’s for sure what I would do if my circumstances where suitable but I really haven’t got storage space for four wheels .. also I would like the wheels balanced and fitted as I don’t have the facility’s to do this stuff

I’ve just had two Continentals fitted to my Devonports, paid £145 per tyre fitted. That was the same price as blackcircles.co.Uk were quoting and my local tyre shop matched it. I doubt you will find them any cheaper elsewhere.

it’s bothering seeing people selling entire sets of wheels with almost unused tyres for less than th
sent u a PM

I love this idea it’s for sure what I would do if my circumstances where suitable but I really haven’t got storage space for four wheels .. also I would like the wheels balanced and fitted as I don’t have the facility’s to do this stuff

The wheels would be balanced when you had the winter tyres fitted, so you'd only have to fit them to the van as winter approached. But if you don't have the space to keep them, then it doesn't matter. You'd still get a couple of hundred for your old wheels if you did buy a new set with tyres tho'. That would mean the new tyres would only cost you around £75 each.

I think he's referring to people selling delivery mileage or pretty much new OEM wheels and tyres, not the price point budgets that retailers fit to aftermarket wheels.
"Just about to have four new continental 215 60 r17 tyres on my devonport wheels
Am I doing the right thing or should I go for less expensive tyres . I’ve been quoted £146 per tyre fitted and balanced ."

"Just about to have four new continental 215 60 r17 tyres on my devonport wheels
Am I doing the right thing or should I go for less expensive tyres . I’ve been quoted £146 per tyre fitted and balanced ."
Plenty of almost new / delivery milage Davenport / Conti‘s for sale online, circa 450-600, then sell your old wheels, going price seems to be about 60 as individuals.
Generally you end up with newer wheels so the finish is better and effectively cheaper tyres.
Just a case of finding something close or without a special trip.

Back