Review: DAV-TEC

Went to see Chris @Dav-Tec yesterday, for what was originally just going to be a reverse cam install……however after a few days dialogue before the appointment, turned out to be so much more!

Chris installed a rear camera, and also replaced my clunky old Kenwood DNX516DABS with a VERY nice looking Pioneer SPH-EVO64DAB, as well as attaching a wireless charging pad on the dash.

An absolute top quality job from a really nice guy! Thanks for working late into the evening to get this all done Chris!

Also for anyone considering a new ICE head unit, you should definitely consider this Pioneer. Wireless CarPlay, built in Alexa and much more.
View attachment 139203
View attachment 139204
View attachment 139205
View attachment 139206
Love the clean lines of that head unit. The camera is more discreet than VW’s original equipment. Good job done there!

@Ayjay If you're specifically wanting to keep information in the MFD and OPS then the Pioneer isn't for you. There's 1 USB input which has been fitted using a OEM USB Retention kit. There's also HDMI in as an optional extra. You can also have there nav bolt on unit. There's WiFi, Bluetooth reverse and front camera inputs as well as a rear monitor output plus stacks of other features

@Ayjay If you're specifically wanting to keep information in the MFD and OPS then the Pioneer isn't for you. There's 1 USB input which has been fitted using a OEM USB Retention kit. There's also HDMI in as an optional extra. You can also have there nav bolt on unit. There's WiFi, Bluetooth reverse and front camera inputs as well as a rear monitor output plus stacks of other
@Ayjay If you're specifically wanting to keep information in the MFD and OPS then the Pioneer isn't for you. There's 1 USB input which has been fitted using a OEM USB Retention kit. There's also HDMI in as an optional extra. You can also have there nav bolt on unit. There's WiFi, Bluetooth reverse and front camera inputs as well as a rear monitor output plus stacks of other features
Does this mean I’m not travelling to Nottinghamshire?!!

I didn’t have the info in the MFD with the Kenwood, so won’t miss that. The OPS was fairly useless as well, made redundant by actually having a crystal clear view out the back now (it still beeps, just doesn’t show the ‘optical’ image on the head unit).

The benefits of this unit FAR outweigh those couple of things.

Sorry @JOG I don't understand?
Firstly, I’m pulling your leg. I like the look of that headunit but we will have to have a chat after Xmas. If I swapped out the factory unit for that, what functionality would be lost? Also, I’d need two wireless chargers (one for SWMBO!)

Firstly, I’m pulling your leg. I like the look of that headunit but we will have to have a chat after Xmas. If I swapped out the factory unit for that, what functionality would be lost? Also, I’d need two wireless chargers (one for SWMBO!)
No worries mate just finished a 14 hour day in the workshop so the grey matter isn't firing on all cylinders lol. You would loose optical park if you have it and any info from the radio to the instrument cluster but that's about it.

Call me anytime for a chat mate 07823449588

That looks to be composition media matey

Oh really? Do you know which kit? Pioneer said it wasn't possible when I enquired

He's explaining that I'm wrong and the Pioneer headunit can retain the Optical Parking System

Excited, I am booked in for the 17th to have a reverse cam fitted! Looks great BTW
I had my reversing camera fitted by Dav-Tech on 27th Nov 2021. After arriving back home I parked up and all was well with the camera. I didn't use the van again until 22nd Dec and when I checked the function of the camera before leaving home it worked fine. However after a journey of about 12 miles, arriving at my destination I selected reverse to park up when the screen on the dash went haywire, rapidly flashing at the speed of a strobe light between the outline of the van as per with parking sensors and the rear view as seen by the camera. The screen went black and a message then came up on the screen saying that the reversing camera was not available at this time. I tried it several times over the next couple of days but found the same fault occurring, but then occasionally when starting from cold the camera would work. I contacted Chris (Dav-Tech) and to help him diagnose the problem I sent him a video showing what was happening on the screen when reverse was selected. Chris was keen to get his hands on the van and sort out the problem but by now we were approaching the Christmas break. Chris shared with me about a commitment he had going on in early January which would affect his availability and so was keen to sort it soonest. Chris cleared the way for me to take the van to his home on the morning of New Years Eve (when most people would be chilling out). Chris diagnosed a camera fault/failure and fitted a new replacement camera with no quibble what so ever. Since then everything has worked fine. I want to pay tribute to this blokes high level of dedication to customer service as yet again he has gone above and beyond for customer satisfaction.
Thank you Chris (Dav-Tech a name to be trusted).

I had my reversing camera fitted by Dav-Tech on 27th Nov 2021. After arriving back home I parked up and all was well with the camera. I didn't use the van again until 22nd Dec and when I checked the function of the camera before leaving home it worked fine. However after a journey of about 12 miles, arriving at my destination I selected reverse to park up when the screen on the dash went haywire, rapidly flashing at the speed of a strobe light between the outline of the van as per with parking sensors and the rear view as seen by the camera. The screen went black and a message then came up on the screen saying that the reversing camera was not available at this time. I tried it several times over the next couple of days but found the same fault occurring, but then occasionally when starting from cold the camera would work. I contacted Chris (Dav-Tech) and to help him diagnose the problem I sent him a video showing what was happening on the screen when reverse was selected. Chris was keen to get his hands on the van and sort out the problem but by now we were approaching the Christmas break. Chris shared with me about a commitment he had going on in early January which would affect his availability and so was keen to sort it soonest. Chris cleared the way for me to take the van to his home on the morning of New Years Eve (when most people would be chilling out). Chris diagnosed a camera fault/failure and fitted a new replacement camera with no quibble what so ever. Since then everything has worked fine. I want to pay tribute to this blokes high level of dedication to customer service as yet again he has gone above and beyond for customer satisfaction.
Thank you Chris (Dav-Tech a name to be trusted).
And that is the difference…it is all about service and aftersales, not selling price point! My only quibble is that he is so far away from me

Lucky sod!!! I’d have him all over my van if I had a chance!!!

Book your van in when the weather improves and make the trip on the basis of getting your van back at the end of each day until the work is complete. You will have accomodation each night.

Back