Dashboard modification required - tacho housing

mattc

hi to all, Matt from Belgium, I'm the "happy" owner of my 3rd Kombi, this one has been delivered with a DIN box on the top dashboard, due to an encoding problem when ordering... seriously ugly

vw DIN.jpg

I need your help to find a replacement solution

the original dash was cut to feed the plugs, so I can't use this s it is

tableaudebord2.jpeg tableaudebord.jpeg

and this is the answer from the VW shop : The factory strongly discourages us from changing the dashboard because the risk of damaging certain parts during disassembly is consequent. In addition, the vehicle acoustics may be compromised. Wanting to do well, we risk doing worse.

so are there any replacement top cover for my dash available ?

Have you got a picture further back with the top parts removed so we can see more of the dash ?
Just wondering if you could graft the top lid of a comfort dash on there ?

@BiTurbo this sounds very interesting ! is this a woofer ? I guess the cap only ? so curious to see how you will get it fixed

@Pauly, this was my first idea : replacing the standard Kombi open storage with a top lid of a comfort dash ... not sure if this is possible in my situation with original dash being cut opened

image-jpeg.1417

I think @Pauly was thinking maybe you could graft the lid from a comfort dash in there some how ?

Hey up @BiTurbo . Did you make this? Looks quality. Needless to say I want one...:whistle:

Not the lid, just having the hinge mech made. It’s looking very good so far, scanned the dash yesterday awaiting for my mate to work his magic and hopefully get something printed. There are fixing that we may be able to use so hopefully no drilling/ cutting. Will keep you all posted....

Last edited:
the top speaker has been ordered! the storage under will be lost ... never mind, hope this way it wont be complicate to fix

is there a standard audio output for this additional speaker ?

@BiTurbo can you show me a picture a the top speaker when laid flat on the dash, is it a perfect fit or are there some adjustments to make?

A bit of adjustment to make fit flush, very busy at the moment but I’ve had the speaker grille and the dash laser scanned. Just waiting for the hinges to be drawn and printed. It’s going to take a bit of work to get it right. The way it lifts open etc, but if I can get it to fit without drilling the dash that will be superb.

Can you make one-up just as a lid?
I'm sure there will be a lot of buyers.

Back