Dash Windscreen Trim Strip - What A Difference !

catfood12

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
There's a pesky gap between the dash and windscreen on the T6. I only noticed when I lost a parking pass down there. There's also some high frequency tapping that propagates from the engine through the gap. When I had a hoodie laid across the top of the dash it became a bit quieter.

This appears to be another VW shortcoming, easily remediated by the aftermarket brigade. I bought the dash trim strip from THQ. We're still all being tucked up, as it was £12 for a couple of metres of rubber, however when cut and fitted the gap is sealed. There's a noticeable - although not stellar - noise reduction, and hopefully no more lost paperwork....20190609_125558_resized.jpg 20190609_125604_resized.jpg 20190609_125659_resized.jpg 20190609_125702_resized.jpg

Yeah, but I have to take mine out when I put the internal blind up! PITA. But that blind is sh.te anyway.
But so worth it for the rest of the time.

I've never had an issue with dropping stuff down their so I've never bothered, but if it makes a difference to noise I might give it a go. The wind noise hitting the windscreen area is definitely the main source of noise in my van now everything else has been tackled.

Bit of a daft question, the dash rubber gap seal thing to stop stuff disappearing is it fitted narrow edge into the gap first or is the narrow edge facing up along with window profile (narrow edge being the tip of shark fin type shape). I have tried youtube and images but cant quite see it. I am sure you guys will know?

I too wanted to close that gap between windscreen and dash and looked around in Australia (particularly in Perth, Western Australia) for a similar profile but could not find it. However, at our local Clark Rubber (2km away) found this L Section EPDM Sponge Door seal and it fits very well (I would suggest even perfectly). L Section Sponge Door Seal 24.5mm x 15.5mm
I eased the "knobbly" bit into the gap and the flat part then moulded very nicely with the dash. Be careful not to push too far down into the gap but easy enough to pull up and try again (says the voice of experience :))

00 Moulding_sml.jpg01 Fitting_sml.jpg02 Finished_sml.jpg

@4wdMotion I don't know what they do in Oz but here in UK, poptops often have a rubber 'spoiler' stuck to the roof just in front of where the pop top closes and I'm pretty sure that it's the same (or very similar) profile as the the rubber strips sold to go in the dash gap.

I too wanted to close that gap between windscreen and dash and looked around in Australia (particularly in Perth, Western Australia) for a similar profile but could not find it. However, at our local Clark Rubber (2km away) found this L Section EPDM Sponge Door seal and it fits very well (I would suggest even perfectly). L Section Sponge Door Seal 24.5mm x 15.5mm
I eased the "knobbly" bit into the gap and the flat part then moulded very nicely with the dash. Be careful not to push too far down into the gap but easy enough to pull up and try again (says the voice of experience :))

View attachment 228520View attachment 228521View attachment 228522
This is perfect, thanks for sharing I was looking for something like this here in Aus too.
May I ask the length ended up with to fit best?

This is perfect, thanks for sharing I was looking for something like this here in Aus too.
May I ask the length ended up with to fit best?
I think 1.6m would do. I bought 1.7m length - just in case :) but did not need it all. Don't be too aggressive pushing it down into the gap until you have a look from the outside.

Reactions: CAB
Back