Dash USB port fuse number/location

peteslack

T6 Pro
Checking out the wiring in my 2017 Highline and discovered the harness for a dash USB port, a purple plug.

Question is which fuse should it be wired to in the fuse box ? The plug reads no voltage including when the engine ignition switch is on.

Also the original head unit has been replaced with a Pioneer AVIC-F840BT - which is old and I would like to replace. Has trouble with glare from the sunshine....

Help and ideas appreciated.

t6 fuse box.jpg

usb port t6.jpg

The factory usb connects to the head unit, dual factory usb has a power supply. So if you have an aftermarket head, then may be it was left disconnected?
That last photo is not a usb connector.
Edit: from that angle, I didn't think it looked like the USB connector

Last edited:
Thread hijack…

I have a single USB on the dash - will it be powered and what does it do? I have the standard (basic) head unit. I ‘think’ it is to connect/play music from a remote device?

Ian

Reactions: Loz
The factory usb connects to the head unit, dual factory usb has a power supply. So if you have an aftermarket head, then may be it was left disconnected?
That last photo is not a usb connector.
Thanks lol, interesting the connector fits the dual port usb i have. What else could the connector be used for ?

20210526_132836.jpg

20210526_132756.jpg

That is the correct connector for a single usb. The purple wire is +5v from the head unit. This extra power connector is not present if you have dual USB's and the USB hub fitted. I fitted a hub and second connector for @StudleyGlass. I had to remove purple wire and connect it to the plug that goes to the hub. If you have an aftermarket head unit this USB will not be connected. You could try removing the USB wires from the quadloc connector and connecting them to the USB out on your new head unit or depending upon your aftermarket unit, there might be a module available to retain the original USB in the dash.

Thread hijack…

I have a single USB on the dash - will it be powered and what does it do? I have the standard (basic) head unit. I ‘think’ it is to connect/play music from a remote device?

Ian

That is the correct connector for a single usb. The purple wire is +5v from the head unit. This extra power connector is not present if you have dual USB's and the USB hub fitted. I fitted a hub and second connector for @StudleyGlass. I had to remove purple wire and connect it to the plug that goes to the hub. If you have an aftermarket head unit this USB will not be connected. You could try removing the USB wires from the quadloc connector and connecting them to the USB out on your new head unit or depending upon your aftermarket unit, there might be a module available to retain the original USB in the dash.
Thanks Deaky, that feels right I'll have a look at the quadloc and loom, might need a trip to RS Components +5v supply.

Last edited:
Thread hijack…

Ian
hi Ian, should be powered worth flipping it out to check its connected, mine wasn't. A complaint is that the VW USB port doesn't really provide enough power to charge a modern phone. It may only provide 1 amp (not sure if later ones are more powerful) a modern phone ideally needs 2.4 or even 3amps. The head should connect for music via usb.

Back