Dash Camera (Front and Rear) Autovox V5pro

kmoll

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi I am thinking of getting this Dash Camera (Front and Rear) for my T6 2019 with dimming rear view mirror and auto lights. This dash cam mirror does not just go over the existing mirror it replaces the existing mirror.

My questions are:-

will this fitting in place of the existing mirror?

Will removing the existing mirror stop anything working - auto lights - auto rain sensor or is all the stuff that makes that work in the stalk above the mirror?

Had anyone removed a mirror like this before? Do you have any pictures so I can see how it is removed.

Pictures below are my current mirror.
6DF04885-0971-48CE-AFC6-0F46BF0378D5.jpeg

12E0E86D-E44F-44AC-9545-AD789284740F.jpeg

Last edited:
Think I answered my own question today and one of the pictures above seems to have a sensor in the back of the mirror which I think my control more than just the mirror dimming. Is this correct?
I have took the safe option and just ordered the V5 (which fits over the existing mirror). Hopefully I have ordered the right one

I like the idea of these .

Having had a car broken into to steal a crappy £30 dashcam, when the POS I have now dies I'll see if these guys do something g for the t6.

Hi just thought I'd chip in my experience with the v5 pro which I got for my mr2... installation was kinda straight forward but for some reason the device wont recognise the sd card (san disk 64gb class 10). I'm going to buy a Lexa 64gb and see if it will work.

Just had the exact same thing, you need to make sure the sd file system is FAT32, MySandisk 64gb ordered with the V5 would not work, swapped it to a 32gb with FAT32 file system, worked first time, but 7hrs recording loop instead of 14hrs.

My autovox V5 (not the pro version) arrived today I will be getting it fitting next week will let you know how I get on.

How did it go?

I'm looking at the V5 pro to replace the same mirror you have.
I've opened mine up using a trim tool to separate (white arrow) then you pull the front trim down (red arrow) then remove the remaining trim. There is a small plug for the rear sensor which you unplug then twist the mirror anti clockwise to remove from the windscreen.

mirror.jpg

This is what's left on the windscreen.....

20210514_150202.jpg

...and this the the mirror clip.

20210514_150328.jpg

Looking at the pics of the V5 pro it doesn't look like it will be compatible but as you can see in the pic above the clip will unscrew so I'm wondering if I can bodge something up? The only problem then is the plastic trim because the front bit shown in the 1st pic with the red arrow attaches to the casting of the mirror above so that would need to be bodged too.

In the 2nd pic you can see a plug still connected. That's for the rain sensor. The wire dangling down is the plug for the mirror sensor which is for auto dip main beam I believe which I could live without or maybe I could retrofit to the V5 pro? Not sure.

Anyhows. The V5 pro doesn't look to be a simple plug and play option to me. :(

How did it go?

I've opened mine up using a trim tool to separate (white arrow) then you pull the front trim down (red arrow) then remove the remaining trim. There is a small plug for the rear sensor which you unplug then twist the mirror anti clockwise to remove from the windscreen.

View attachment 115979

View attachment 115987

View attachment 115988

Looking at the pics of the V5 pro it doesn't look like it will be compatible but as you can see in the pic above the clip will unscrew so I'm wondering if I can bodge something up? The only problem then is the plastic trim because the front bit shown in the 1st pic with the red arrow attaches to the casting of the mirror above so that would need to be bodged too.

In the 2nd pic you can see a plug still connected. That's for the rain sensor. The wire dangling down is the plug for the mirror sensor which is for auto dip main beam I believe which I could live without or maybe I could retrofit to the V5 pro? Not sure.

Hi mate I end up just strapping it to my existing mirror (I will send a picture tomorrow) it looks pretty good and works well.

How did it go?

View attachment 115979

View attachment 115987

View attachment 115988

Pictures below

Attachments

• C351364F-4F2D-48BF-BD8B-498DDBCFAA66.jpeg
    C351364F-4F2D-48BF-BD8B-498DDBCFAA66.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 112
  • FBE74D89-3D38-4A5E-A079-3175284C1D5B.jpeg
    FBE74D89-3D38-4A5E-A079-3175284C1D5B.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 6B2BBC20-8C54-468D-AACD-1345FF8AFFCD.jpeg
    6B2BBC20-8C54-468D-AACD-1345FF8AFFCD.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 110
  • D4421B0C-B6C3-4162-9673-C2D9FE002514.jpeg
    D4421B0C-B6C3-4162-9673-C2D9FE002514.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 122
Cheers @kmoll. That screen image looks great and the angle is perfect with the camera mounted high like that. Looks like a proper rear view. :thumbsup:

Well whaddya know. I contacted Boscam EU yesterday asking about the clip. Here's what came back today.

And we have the bracket could fit your car.
But we only have the stock in China, and the shipment usually takes 4-5 weeks.

Plenty of other van jobs in the pipeline so I'll just put this to the bottom of my todo list for now while I wait for the slow boat from China.

Well whaddya know. I contacted Boscam EU yesterday asking about the clip. Here's what came back today.

Plenty of other van jobs in the pipeline so I'll just put this to the bottom of my todo list for now while I wait for the slow boat from China.
Giday Howzat
I've just got the V5 pro, and am having the same problems as you had.
How's that slow boat from China?
Has the bracket arrived and does it work?
Cheers.

Took about 4 weeks but it's worth the wait. The bracket is a proper cast fitting similar to the OEM bracket and fits perfectly secure.

Have a look here.

How did it go?

View attachment 115979

View attachment 115987

View attachment 115988

Hi mate,

Did you get an answer to this as that’s the same issue I have and I’m not sure how to mount it, I ideally don’t want to strap it on

Hi all,
Just an update on this topic. This is one of the best upgrades I've done to the van, thanks to @Howzat for the recommendations and install pictures. Customer service is still outstanding and they seem to stock all parts at amazon uk now so delivery is quick.
Just to note that the bracket you need is #67. I installed in a T6 kombi with tailgate. I didn't need the extension lead, although they sent me one. The other thing to note is with the fuse taps included the pins are too short. Again I approached customer services and they were happy to send me some replacements. - 'ATS' type

I went for an easier install for the rear camera, keeping it inside the vehicle but it works really well there and still has great field of view. Also I didn't connect it up to the rear light cluster. Its just a 2 finger swipe on the screen to activate it.

For the comfort dash, I routed the cable just under the passenger side footwell cover which is very easy to remove. Went up the A piller from there. I removed the ceiling panels to access the main rear wire bundle which runs down the passenger side and ran the rear camera cable alongside this. The hardest part of the install is getting the rear light cable through the rubber tailgate cable access. A long wire feed rod was very helpful. I then drilled a small hole in the top of the inside of the tailgate to pull the cable through. Again the wire feed rod was invaluable here.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Back