Danish oil suitable?

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello
No laughing at the back now...
I am putting in an oak laminate floor and ceiling into my van...

For a bit of protection I was going to treat the panels with Danish oil.

Then I saw a YouTube video saying any rags or paper used for the application MUST be disposed of wet.. or burnt as it poses a risk of spontaneous combustion!!

So, it has me wondering about wood that absorbs this oil and sits in a very hot van..

Any experts out there?

Pete

The wood work will be fine once the solvents have evaporated. just heavily ventilate after application till dry

most wood preservers say this on the bottle. Rags and cloths start composting and get hot the vapors are very volatile and highly flammable

It’s the same with any mineral / vegetable oil, I‘ve never seen it happen and I’ve never seen Bear Grylls pull out his Danish oil to light a fire.

Reactions: Ozi
Be careful as some oils are not suitable for use on veneers, specifically the adhesive which attaches the veneer to the sub surface, it can react and dissolve the adhesive. The data sheet/manufacturer of the veneer you have should inform you of suitable finishes.

Cheers:thumbsup:

I've used Tung oil on various different types of wood, it gives a lovely finish.

As for the spontaneous combustion, it's only an issue with the rags and it does happen! Once it's on though, it's no more flammable than the wood it's applied to.

Our van has Danish oil treated oak in the interior. It’s 4 years old & not gone up in flames yet....touch wood...oak.

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.
Saw a vid claiming the no nonsense Screwfix stuff is as good as any, better than some, and 1/3 of the price. Sounds a bit too good to be true.
Anyone used it?
Finish is the driver here, obviously. And ease of application..

Any recommendations ?

Thanks

Saw a vid claiming the no nonsense Screwfix stuff is as good as any, better than some, and 1/3 of the price. Sounds a bit too good to be true.
Anyone used it?

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
I use Ronseal Danish Oil which has a very good finish, I haven’t tried the cheaper brands.
I have tried expensive and cheap brands of Teak Oil and the difference is noticeable.
For a campervan I wouldn’t opt for No Nonsense and I would do a thorough test with any oil.

As DXX says above, do a test on an off cut of the wood you are using… you can play around with the finish by adding white spirit to thin it down as some of the different types of danish oils can be quite thick. But remember with Ronseal… ‘It does exactly as is says on the tin’!

Anyone used it?

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
I used some cheap(ish) Danish oil on some oak windows & it seemed ok. I ran out & subsequently picked up a can of Rustins, the difference was noticeable, the Rustins is thicker & I suspect it’s because it has more oil & less solvent. It gives a better finish compared to the cheapy. The flip side is it takes longer to dry.

Back