Danbury Doubleback

GarryM

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have been searching for a Danbury VW Doubleback camper to buy but have not been able to find anything other than reviews of the van.
Has anyone here on the Forum seen or know where I can go to find one for sale?

Thanks
Garry

They have been around for a few years but I have never seen one in the flesh - I’m not convinced they ever made it into larger scale production. I initially thought the idea was good but the more I think about my van in use the less I think the double back is a good idea.

I have emailed both Danbury and also Doubleback b=several times in the past two weeks but get no answer from either place. I will give them another try.

My van T6 has a slide out unit in it that moves the bed out under the rear door but it is then canvas walled and I really like the look of their van and how it operated, now having experienced the whole bed seat moving out back it is great. I want to do a few months in UK and Europe next year and thought I could buy a Doubleback either new or second hand and then ship it home to Australia after using it there in Europe.

IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1531.jpg .

I have emailed both Danbury and also Doubleback b=several times in the past two weeks but get no answer from either place. I will give them another try.

My van T6 has a slide out unit in it that moves the bed out under the rear door but it is then canvas walled and I really like the look of their van and how it operated, now having experienced the whole bed seat moving out back it is great. I want to do a few months in UK and Europe next year and thought I could buy a Doubleback either new or second hand and then ship it home to Australia after using it there in Europe.

View attachment 22390 View attachment 22391 .
Your set up looks good. As I say though, I'm not sure the Doublebacks ever made into production beyond a few prototypes and customer specific examples - all of the videos and pictures seems to go back a few years and are all based on T5s. That said, the contact form linked above does seem different from what I remember seeing a couple of years ago so it looks like someone is trying to keep the idea going?!

I saw in one item several years after the first demo Doubleback, that they had started on an “update” model and applied it to the short wheel base and it did not travel out to the same degree as the original. However, although I have searched the net extensively, I have never seen one come up for sale in the past two years.

Wasn’t there a black van posted on here last year from a Russian fella that had a system like this?

I have sent a message to the seller as it looks like it did not reach reserve. I am also beginning to think that you are right Dave, only a few made..

Will be interesting to see if it is still available.

Spoke to Danbury’s at the NEC this year and asked them about the double back and they said they stopped making them as not that successful

I spoke to the seller on eBay but unfortunately he had sold it two days earlier. Close but just missed out and with only 10? made, I suspect my quest is going to be hard to find one for sale.

I know this is an old thread but funnily enough I went to look at a T5 Doubleback yesterday, the setup is so cool and looks stunning but because it’s a 2006 the van needs some restoration. I’m really torn whether to go for it, I’m no good at doing things like that myself, so would need to find someone to give it some tlc and that’s likely to cost a lot extra. I’m not sure whether to go for it or just get a run of the mill rock and roll conversion like everyone else but it’s so tempting because of the huge extra space. Hmmmmmm

For a long time i looked for one without luck and when i did finally find one the price was so high that it was ridiculous so never purchased one. I built my own unit that slides out. It gives me half the cabin space again but to be honest, more often than not i don’t open it up as it is nicer sitting out side under the awning. If i had my time again i would have just been happy with a VW Californian with some minor modifications. Buying an old VW is fraught with potential problems. As a matter of interest, how much are they asking?

Out of interest I had a look around earlier and found one for £23k GBP so assume that’s the one

Out of interest I had a look around earlier and found one for £23k GBP so assume that’s the one

Yes, that’s the one, everything works and it really is stunning from a couple of feet away. The pod still works no problem and the space is brilliant.

It’s when you get up close you can see it’s starting to rust in the usual spots, not unreasonable for a 14 year old van that’s been near a beach 4 months a year. She really wants a full respray to get back to her best.

Back