Cycling: AUDAX: Rim (Bottle) Dynamo, Fixing Options - Request for Ideas

kurienp

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Anyone who is into long distance cycling - appreciate your inputs. Any thoughts on where and how to attach a rim Dynamo ... or anyone on here who can machine (aluminium) or 3D print a part that can help with attaching the dynamo to the front fork or to the seatstays, or the chainstays - essentially to keep any forces away from the carbon frame?

This is my current AUDAX setup. A very simple setup. There is a handlebar bag that gets added sometime, dependent on the weather.

PXL_20210707_150939078.jpg

For long distance 300k + rides, power for lighting and charging devices is a necessity. Rather than getting a wheel built with a hub dynamo (turning out to be quite expensive), I am thinking about a less expensive VELOGICAL DYNAMO setup.

Velogical.jpg

Challenge: I have a full carbon frame. Attaching the dynamo to the:
- front forks - any ideas on how? Heard that carbon does not take very kindly to crushing forces ... and velogical does not have a mount which is that wide anyways

PXL_20210707_150947897.jpg PXL_20210707_150950837.jpg

- seatstays - same as above - carbon does not take very kindly to crushing forces and this one has a funny shaped seatstay.

PXL_20210707_150957208.jpg

- chainstays - again, not possible due to the shape of the chainstays.

PXL_20210707_151009750.jpg

Anyone who is into long distance cycling - appreciate your inputs. Any thoughts on where and how to attach ... or anyone on here who can machine (aluminium) or 3D print a part that can help with attaching the dynamo to the front fork or to the seatstays?

Any other ideas? (or should I be looking at hub dynamos?)

Have browsed the VLOGICAL site and their Instagram page ... but all pics are either attached to steel or ti frames or carbon with at least a round seatstay. No attachment options for funny shaped frames such as on my Cannondale Synapse. :slow rofl:

Thank you all in advance for your inputs.

I'd be looking at the rear bridge to mount there and use the tyre instead of the rim... Don't know that dynamo either tho, sorry.
Not ridden an audax since the early 90's.

What’s the dynamo really like? That looks like a very very long advertisement. And then it says “It is suitable for any rim andy [sic] any bike”, so you’ll be fine then ...

As above I don’t know the dynamo and my experience was some years ago with more traditional dynamos but highly regarded at the time. I recall that even running on the tyre, slippage could be a problem especially in the wet. So how good is this, running on the rim?

Looking at that link, surely one of those wider u-bolts will fit ?

Pete

What’s the dynamo really like? That looks like a very very long advertisement. And then it says “It is suitable for any rim andy [sic] any bike”, so you’ll be fine then ...

As above I don’t know the dynamo and my experience was some years ago with more traditional dynamos but highly regarded at the time. I recall that even running on the tyre, slippage could be a problem especially in the wet. So how good is this, running on the rim?

The reviews are great and that is why I want to try it out. 1/3 the cost of building a dynamo hub and easy to switch between cycles as well.

I should be fine using the dynamo. Can do some friction tape mounts on the rim, if I notice slip. Can think of lots of DIY options for that ... but before I do anything, need to figure out how to mount. A 3D print mount may be an option, but will need some inputs on that.

Don't want to run it off the tyre as don't think modern tyres are really made for that.

Looking at that link, surely one of those wider u-bolts will fit ?

Pete

They might Pete, but when I tighten, it will squish against the carbon fork at that one place ... and the fork it seems is not made to take force at just one place. don't want to risk that as I have seen many carbon frames spoilt when attached to bike racks and squished with the bike holder clamps.

... and who thought living with carbon was easy. Should have gone old style steel :slow rofl:

I reckon modifying that U attachment, or making another would be best. Modifying a rubber strap to prevent compressing the carbon frame.
Pita, carbon frames!

Carbon isn’t that weak, and you are only tightening it enough to hold a very small dynamo.
Bikes damaged by bike rack clamps are having to hold the whole weight of the bike, in strong winds generated by car road speeds, and the owners probably over tightened them anyway.
I wouldn’t be worried by the clamping force, it’s the 1.5W max power output that would worry me.

Pete

Nah, some carbon frames are shite. The carbon is layered in frames to provide vertical strength to support the rider. Compressing it laterally could create damage due to inherent and designed lateral weakness.

Back