Cutting out side windows, dip in frame

Outcycling

T6 Pro
Hi ya,

I am going to be putting in new windows round the van eventually and have done my due diligence and watched all the YouTube vids on the subject so feel pretty ok on it all but I have 2 queries.
1) on my T6 van the dip in the inside skin is quite significant where the central bar is that needs to be cut out. Isn’t this going to look a bit rubbish ? I notice nobody seems to give a close up of this area once the fitting is done. Anyone who’s done it, what do you do to make it look good?

2) transporterhq seem to push the option of not fitting a rubber trim on the side windows but just folding the carpet over the double skin. Is there a general consensus on this? Do most people just fit the trim or do the carpet folding thing?

Pictures of my side window bars below.

Thanks.

CA7E27AE-45F3-48D2-A51D-E48C349A7BD1.jpeg

C7E1308D-21E5-4F21-85A2-71E1C6ABA6E8.jpeg

81F08D10-30A7-4949-8046-1A20F785F570.jpeg

I thought this when planning on doing mine as the one shown on the kiravan video T6 looks different. In the end I just paid Bognor motors to do mine, I’ll take a picture tomorrow of the trim they fitted and how it looks

I thought this when planning on doing mine as the one shown on the kiravan video T6 looks different. In the end I just paid Bognor motors to do mine, I’ll take a picture tomorrow of the trim they fitted and how it looks
Yep, was just watching kiavan earlier, I agree. be interested to see what yours looks like. Thanks.

I've done exactly what you're suggesting @Outcycling mine was a Kombi so already had side windows but I had the rear quarters cut out and carpeted and didn't use the rubber window trims - just carpeted over the lip
It's not easy to see in the photo where the bar was, but you can just about make it out above the wheel arch, so I guess the fact that it's hard to see shows that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

20201027_160342.jpg

I was going to fold the carpet over but since I don't plan on carpeting the sliding door or rear doors I would need to put the rubber trim on them. I would have ended up with half the windows with rubber trim and half with the folded carpet. For that reason I went with the rubber trim for all windows.

I've done exactly what you're suggesting @Outcycling mine was a Kombi so already had side windows but I had the rear quarters cut out and carpeted and didn't use the rubber window trims - just carpeted over the lip
It's not easy to see in the photo where the bar was, but you can just about make it out above the wheel arch, so I guess the fact that it's hard to see shows that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

View attachment 92879
Thanks super owls, I agree,hardly shows and you did a great job.

I was going to fold the carpet over but since I don't plan on carpeting the sliding door or rear doors I would need to put the rubber trim on them. I would have ended up with half the windows with rubber trim and half with the folded carpet. For that reason I went with the rubber trim for all windows.
That’s a good point paddy. I wasn’t planning on carpeting the sliding door so maybe I should go with the rubber trim. Undecided still tbh. The poptop roof fitting has been delayed because of covid so van is currently on hold. Got the diesel heater and towbar fitted but can’t really do much more.

Isn’t the kiravans vid a t5?
Probably.

Suppose it depends wether you are starting off with a Kombi or Panel van
I started with Kombi so the sliding door and opposite window was done from factory so already have the trim, however I haven't had carpet right up to the window on the door
Tried to show on the photo but it's a bit crap as I've had to zoom in on an old photo, will get a better one for you later if you like

20201124_073517.jpg

I didnt carpet the sliding door, but there is a small ply frame which is carpeted and then folded/tucked. My Tailgate was already glazed so didn't come into the equation.

Suppose it depends wether you are starting off with a Kombi or Panel van
I started with Kombi so the sliding door and opposite window was done from factory so already have the trim, however I haven't had carpet right up to the window on the door
Tried to show on the photo but it's a bit crap as I've had to zoom in on an old photo, will get a better one for you later if you like

View attachment 92890
That looks fine to me, maybe cause you carpeted the kiravans sliding door store? I’ve got one of those in the spare room to fit at some point although hadn’t planned on carpeting it. Now I’ve seen yours I might do so. Is your rear door carpeted? Because there are no edges to work to they say it is really hard to do a good job of it (like the sliding door) hence a lot of companies/people don’t bother?

I didnt carpet the sliding door, but there is a small ply frame which is carpeted and then folded/tucked. My Tailgate was already glazed so didn't come into the equation.
Hard to visualise the ply frame thing tbh. Picture?

That looks fine to me, maybe cause you carpeted the kiravans sliding door store? I’ve got one of those in the spare room to fit at some point although hadn’t planned on carpeting it. Now I’ve seen yours I might do so. Is your rear door carpeted? Because there are no edges to work to they say it is really hard to do a good job of it (like the sliding door) hence a lot of companies/people don’t bother?
Mine's a tailgate, just swapped the hardboard panel for ply and carpeted that, think it would be same for barn doors

20201027_160103.jpg

Interesting, thanks. I like your 2 tone carpeting. For the little panel did you put the longer plastic panel pins in, carpet over the top then just push it on?
You're welcome and thanks, The window frame is just a flat 'square' of 3.6mm ply.

As for the small c post panel, they are held in by the standard hidden clips from Harrisons. They are now covered in blue faux alcantara to match the roof.
BB3F9D39-7A47-4CFD-97E7-6E9D5E97F8BE_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi ya,

I am going to be putting in new windows round the van eventually and have done my due diligence and watched all the YouTube vids on the subject so feel pretty ok on it all but I have 2 queries.
1) on my T6 van the dip in the inside skin is quite significant where the central bar is that needs to be cut out. Isn’t this going to look a bit rubbish ? I notice nobody seems to give a close up of this area once the fitting is done. Anyone who’s done it, what do you do to make it look good?

2) transporterhq seem to push the option of not fitting a rubber trim on the side windows but just folding the carpet over the double skin. Is there a general consensus on this? Do most people just fit the trim or do the carpet folding thing?

Pictures of my side window bars below.

Thanks.

View attachment 83939

View attachment 83940

View attachment 83941
The easiest and neatest way of doing it is to cut the windows out and carpet the van then fit the glass after you've carpeted
You would need an indoor workshop at this time of year though as you'll probably run out of daylight
Also, if you're intending to tint the windows, buy the glass and get it done before fitting - I did it the other way round and when I went to get them tinted he ended up cutting them out and tinting them off the van before re fitting as he said it's better results

Don't carpet the doors. Door seals need to seal on metal. Not carpet. Cheers
Yep, I’d read that, thanks.

Mine's a tailgate, just swapped the hardboard panel for ply and carpeted that, think it would be same for barn doors

View attachment 92897
Yes, that is what I was planning. Thanks.

The easiest and neatest way of doing it is to cut the windows out and carpet the van then fit the glass after you've carpeted
You would need an indoor workshop at this time of year though as you'll probably run out of daylight
Also, if you're intending to tint the windows, buy the glass and get it done before fitting - I did it the other way round and when I went to get them tinted he ended up cutting them out and tinting them off the van before re fitting as he said it's better results
Thanks, yes, that is exactly the order I’ve planned to do it in. I have a mate with a lovely big heated workshop for his vintage American cars and we’re going to get it in there so ideal setup to do it properly.

Back