Cut to size foam

dhod

About to hit the buy button on a cut to size mattress from the foam shop (or efoam). Before I do it’d be good to get a couple of thoughts from some of you folks

Our mattress will be a bench in the day so will be cut in to sections to form a seat/back rest etc. I’m doing a custom fit so it’s an RHF cut (almost like a trapezoid).

Quote is coming in at £180 for a 15cm thickness with coolcell/tencel for cooling (which is £50) - but wondering if I’d need that if I get it upholstered as well or it would still be useful? And if that quote seems reasonable or are folks just buying standard doubles and cutting them themselves?

Thanks as always for any advice
Dan

You could try this company, very experienced so can recommend the foam type and can cut to your dimensions.

About to hit the buy button on a cut to size mattress from the foam shop (or efoam). Before I do it’d be good to get a couple of thoughts from some of you folks

Our mattress will be a bench in the day so will be cut in to sections to form a seat/back rest etc. I’m doing a custom fit so it’s an RHF cut (almost like a trapezoid).

Quote is coming in at £180 for a 15cm thickness with coolcell/tencel for cooling (which is £50) - but wondering if I’d need that if I get it upholstered as well or it would still be useful? And if that quote seems reasonable or are folks just buying standard doubles and cutting them themselves?

Thanks as always for any advice
Dan
hi Dan @dhod,
I'm also looking at efoam for custom mattress for L shaped bed. Did you order from there in the end?

hi Dan @dhod,
I'm also looking at efoam for custom mattress for L shaped bed. Did you order from there in the end?
Yep. In the end I just went for 2 rectangles of the right length and then I’ll use an electric bread knife to cut things to the right shape myself. Wasn’t convinced I wouldn’t somehow much up the dimensions so played it safe

Yep. In the end I just went for 2 rectangles of the right length and then I’ll use an electric bread knife to cut things to the right shape myself. Wasn’t convinced I wouldn’t somehow much up the dimensions so played it safe
Sounds like a plan!

I'm getting the bed from Van Furniture, so I looked up their measurements of the cushions they sell and went off those.
Just completed the order so fingers crossed they will fit!
I didn't bother with the little one, as it doesn't form part of the bit you sleep on anyway.

LShape.jpg L-BED_1800X1200X405_ASSEMBLY_2021-May-18_02-13-39PM-000_CustomizedView1246713943_png.png

I priced up 4 inch foam for a Z shaped foldout mattress for my Van but found Ikea sell a couple of different Futon mattresses with a zipped on cover, so use that for my van bed. Cheaper, but you get a rectangle (lower 1/3) and a square (upper 2/3). Not ideal for some on here making custom shaped seats/beds, but simple and cheap for an occasional bed.

Last edited:
Back