Cut Down / Lower Double Passenger Seat Base?

lee dauny

I’v seen a post about cut down passenger seat bases, so when a double swivel is fitted the seat isn’t too high. There is a chap that fabricated them but I can’t find him for the life of me! Any ideas folks? All I remember is the website was a red colour.

20180203_174646.jpg I did my own. Cut the bottom off and welded 3mm angle to form a new bottom.

Every piece of angle, is a different angle just to complicate things.

The internal structure needs a bit of re-enforcing too. Quite a lot of work...

But we'll worth it

Pic is halfway through the actual mod

Last edited:
Hi guys, just re-invigorating this post as have recently entered the Camper market - did anyone find anyone that does this and sells them? Every avenue I've tried (Jennings, Ebay etc) I find nothing? After 100 miles as a passenger in it yesterday, it needs changing but I want/need the double seat.

Hi nick I’m after the same but looking for a plain seat base to convert myself even those seem hard to find

Speak to Gordon Finlay ( see my post above ) he still does them - currently out of stock, but he'll probably be able to do it for you.

If they are modified on an exchange basis, how can they be crash tested I wonder? surely it can only be one that was tested that represents the principle of conversion.

As an engineer, I know mine is well over engineered as all the steel is at least twice the thickness if not more that the flimsy VW original.

Yes, of course it's only the original which is crash tested!! Then all others are built / constructed / modified to the approved design

That applies to everything, unless you want your own £2,000 odd RIB bed crash tested before you put it in your camper!

If they are modified on an exchange basis, how can they be crash tested I wonder? surely it can only be one that was tested that represents the principle of conversion.

how else do you expect it to work? did vw do an ncap test on your van the day of delivery?

Gordon's seat brackets and everything else he does is 100% well made and as said above built to an approved design. The seat bracket that reclines the duel seat is brilliant and makes a massive difference, I have had them in both my vans. I really wouldn't be chopping up my own design and bolting that in my van, it may be strong and would definitely work but in the event of an accident and God forbid an investigation....doesn't seem worth it.

Spoke with Gordon and he has a wait list, but that's fine. Reading peoples comments, its high quality and good customer service both of which Im happy to pay for and wait! If when the product arrives anyone want photos/videos of the install let me know and I will do the needed. Also fitting the recliner mech at the same time. Thanks all for your inputs.

Spoke with Gordon and he has a wait list, but that's fine. Reading peoples comments, its high quality and good customer service both of which Im happy to pay for and wait! If when the product arrives anyone want photos/videos of the install let me know and I will do the needed. Also fitting the recliner mech at the same time. Thanks all for your inputs.
Ended up making my own did you get one in the end ?

I'm thinking of buying one from van craft (Gordon). A few quick questions, is the recline adjustable up to 10% or does it sit at either 10% reclined or folded flat? The reason for asking is I have a swivel which is tight with the seat upright in the factory position, I don't think it would swivel with an incline. Or would you lay it flat but then the headrests would become an issue?

Back