Custom made Fridge decor panel using wood veneer

McFlude

T6 Pro
I have a Webasto fridge and would like to fit a decor panel to match the furniture which I am constructing with sycamore veneer applied to ply. There are products which use real wood in a laminate such as Oberflex but I suspect that it will be difficult to buy a small amount sufficient for a decor panel. Has anyone ever applied a real wood veneer to a thin laminate? I suspect that I could use a contact adhesive but am concerned that if I only apply it to one side it will distort the panel. If I use veneer applied back and front to a laminate it will be too thick.

It is a long shot but has anyone any suggestions how I make a decor panel using real wood veneer?

Real veneer is difficult to work with and needs stable humidity, no water splashes. I wouldn’t consider it.
Some HPL manufacturers make textured finish, obviously not wood but looks pretty close. Tell a few white lies and blag a large sample.

Real veneer is difficult to work with and needs stable humidity, no water splashes. I wouldn’t consider it.
Some HPL manufacturers make textured finish, obviously not wood but looks pretty close. Tell a few white lies and blag a large sample.
I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a suitable laminate. I have used a material called Oberflex before and it is a superb material as it is manufactured with real wood veneer rather than printed paper but I couldn't source a supplier that could supply the quantity that I need. I have therefore decided to use a veneer and have been investigating vacuum presses, suitable glues and am currently trying to find which finish will be suitable. I agree with your comments about humidity and water are likely to be my biggest problem. I am using poplar lightweight ply and I know from my experience with suitable firewoods that poplar soaks up water like a sponge so I am using every effort to seal the wood as best as I can.

Probably all overkill but it gives me something to do during lockdown.:)

I got free samples from Geaves, much too small for a fridge door but you could try and get a bigger sample or buy an offcut.

With veneer don’t use anything water based. That includes glue, sealants or top coats.

We use a Urea formaldehyde resin in a bag press for our veneer work. Then coat with either polyurethane or AC lacquer. What thickness overall are you trying to achieve?

We use a Urea formaldehyde resin in a bag press for our veneer work. Then coat with either polyurethane or AC lacquer. What thickness overall are you trying to achieve?
It is good to know that I am not the only one using real wood veneer.

For the general furniture I shall be using 15 mm Garnica ply with sycamore fiddleback veneer both sides so probably will be between 16 mm - 17 mm overall thickness. Obviously for the decor panel the overall thickness will be only a few mm thick.
I shall be using using urea glue and a bag press generally. (I am still in the initial stage of conversion and haven't purchased the glue, bag and pump yet but won't be needing it for a couple of months yet.) I looked at using Morrells AC lacquer but don't really want to spray and was not sure if I could obtain it in small quantities. I am currently considering using an Osmo oil finish.

I got free samples from Geaves, much too small for a fridge door but you could try and get a bigger sample or buy an offcut.

With veneer don’t use anything water based. That includes glue, sealants or top coats.
I have been thinking about your reply and although I will probably not be using any water based glue or finish I agree that I should avoid water based materials but wasn't sure why. Is it to avoid delaminating the poplar ply which soaks up water like a sponge or is it due to the likely changes in humidity that is experienced in a van?

I have been thinking about your reply and although I will probably not be using any water based glue or finish I agree that I should avoid water based materials but wasn't sure why. Is it to avoid delaminating the poplar ply which soaks up water like a sponge or is it due to the likely changes in humidity that is experienced in a van?
Veneer expands as soon as it is in contact with water and this will cause cracks.
I’m no joiner / cabinet maker but I made the mistake of using a water based PVA on oak veneer while doing a furniture repair. Nightmare!

It is good to know that I am not the only one using real wood veneer.

For the general furniture I shall be using 15 mm Garnica ply with sycamore fiddleback veneer both sides so probably will be between 16 mm - 17 mm overall thickness. Obviously for the decor panel the overall thickness will be only a few mm thick.
I shall be using using urea glue and a bag press generally. (I am still in the initial stage of conversion and haven't purchased the glue, bag and pump yet but won't be needing it for a couple of months yet.) I looked at using Morrells AC lacquer but don't really want to spray and was not sure if I could obtain it in small quantities. I am currently considering using an Osmo oil finish.
I have used osmo oil and got great results although oil isn’t great with some cleaning products but if you go through the grits when your sanding it you can get a finish as good as lacquer.
We bought pump and press from Airpress, they sell the resin too and were good to deal with.

Back