Curtain Material

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by Toad, 31 Oct 2018.

1. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

You know I never thought I'd find myself on an Internet forum asking about curtain material, but here we go.

We're making curtains for the van and have made some basic templates. They're going to be held on with magnets which we've also tested.

But what material have people used to provide water resistance against condensation, and what as a wadding material to provide insulation?

IMG_20181030_173924.jpg

2. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

I just bought cheap ready-made ones, removed the suckers and attached magnets, then covered one side with matt black cloth so I can have the shiny side out or the black side out depending on what I’m trying to achieve.

Toad likes this.
  3. Dannyb6467

Dannyb6467 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    We didn't go for individual window curtains for the cab area. We put a curtain divider behind the seats. If we do get any condensation then it's not touching any material.
    I watch some vans taking so long to attach them,then remove them, then wipe off etc etc. Such a faff.

4. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

We're putting in swivel seats, and want to be able to get out of bed and sit in the seats without scaring passers by!

Dannyb6467 likes this.
  5. andys

This is why I fitted concertina blinds in the A pillars and use magnetic blinds in the cab side windows, closing off or getting going takes seconds.

Dannyb6467 likes this.
  6. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

Which concertina blinds did you fit?

7. andys

Here
    A Pillar Trims
    I love them but it's not a straightforward job.

8. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
  9. andys

10. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

andys likes this.
  11. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

Bugger. They must have different cab trim panels between the Transporter and the California, as they are different sizes.

The top end of the a pillar panel is completely different to the existing one

IMG_20181106_161504.jpg

IMG_20181106_161559.jpg

12. andys

Bummer :( I didn't know that. Saying that, I did have to trim away a bit of the headlining to fit the Remifront blinds, but I did on my old T5 that they were actually made for. I'm sure a bit of dremelling, trimming and sanding would have that fitting ok.

13. Ads_Essex

Map
    Have you got a poptop fitted? If so, I wonder if the Cali headlining piece would work in place of your Transporter headlining piece.

14. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

No, no pop top.

It's a shame as it looked like a great solution.

15. andys

I still think they could be made to fit by trimming the tops. This is the difference between the standard T6 and the Remifront. There's a clear difference but a bit of shaving and they fit fine at the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Ads_Essex

Map
    I was just typing something similar Andys -
    do they definitely not fit the headlining?

432476A1-2B48-4BD6-8127-E254EB94C169.jpeg

(sorry, I’m not near my van to check how the standard trim fits).

17. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

There seems to be an issue that the bulk of the panel with the blind behind it means it sticks out more, and the top I think is designed to sit in the headlining in a different way to accommodate this.

This means that even if trimmed it would still stick out.

***I think........

18. andys

I had to cut into the headlining to fit mine, appreciate that's a one-way trip that you may not be keen on. Having said that, I kept the pieces of headlining I cut out and I reckon with a bit of glue and some scuffing up of the fibres it would make for a fairly invisible mend, should I take them out when I trade the van in.

Toad likes this.
  19. Toad

Toad Member VIP Member

Braver man than me :-D

20. Ads_Essex

Map
    Also, did they come with the top and bottom retaining trim-pieces?