Ctek Dual........caution.

travelvolts

Retired
T6 Legend
Just a heads up on this DC-DC charger which is very popular. If you are planning to fit solar be sure to check that your panel of choice does not have a high VOC. Some of the flexi ones have a VOC of around 30 volts and this is too high for the CTEK which has a max input of 23 volts. This has caught a few people out this spring!
If you already own a panel with high VOC and are looking to fit a DC-DC (battery to battery) charger then choose something like the Redarc or Ablemail.

Ah there is one then......

Would be good to catch up at some point so you could give it the once over. Back when deciding what unit to go for I was chatting to Marcus at Ctek and he said best to wait a bit before going for Ctek as new options were in development. Ring was ready there and then so ended up going for it.

I just done a trawl of previous posts, and before going for the 2 x 110ah I had a 90ah Varta pro and I got the E0 error. Not seen since I upgraded my batteries.

Kev

I'm getting close to fitting out with a CTEK and auxiliary battery. ( Will likely be in touch for that shortly @travelvolts). Is there any disadvantage to having a solar panel with a lower output voltage or one within the CTEKs 23 volts? Is it a case of lower voltage equals higher current to obtain the equivalent power value.

I’d go Redarc all day long 40a instead of 20a for the CTEK and a slightly higher VOC of 28v. The unit itself is smaller than the CTEK too

This is why I ended up going for a dedicated solar controller. I couldn’t find a DC-DC charger that would cope with a decent size solar panel.

This is why I ended up going for a dedicated solar controller. I couldn’t find a DC-DC charger that would cope with a decent size solar panel.
Me neither @t0mb0 i ended up with a Victron controller.

I'm getting close to fitting out with a CTEK and auxiliary battery. ( Will likely be in touch for that shortly @travelvolts). Is there any disadvantage to having a solar panel with a lower output voltage or one within the CTEKs 23 volts? Is it a case of lower voltage equals higher current to obtain the equivalent power value.
No disadvantage at all. It is just the way that the cells are manufactured.

I’d go Redarc all day long 40a instead of 20a for the CTEK and a slightly higher VOC of 28v. The unit itself is smaller than the CTEK too
It is worth pointing out that the 40 amp version is only really suitable for a system with 200 ah or more. For a single battery use the 25 amp version, or the Ablemail (which, incidentally, can handle 32 volts)

Am I correct in thinking that both the Ablemail and 40 or 25 amp Redarc can take a supply from both the vans main battery and a solar panel to charge the auxiliary battery. If so does it switch automatically to the solar panel for the feed if it's producing sufficient power?

There is a version of the Ablemail that takes a direct input from both the solar panel and the vehicle battery and switches the input according to the ignition being on or off. At the moment the Redarc models require an external relay to acheive this. New models are due early summer that will have direct solar input.

Me neither @t0mb0 i ended up with a Victron controller.

Im finding this problem too, I want to run these high voltage CIGS panels with a 150ah lithium battery but don't want to use dedicated controllers due to the space. The vicron I think would work but it just another big box in a small van. Incidentally, could anyone tell me the max flat space ontop of a SCA 194 pop top?

Yes, with a voltage that high you will need a stand alone controller. You will have to choose carefully though as most Victron ones are for 100 volt grid, there are only a few that handle 150 volts.

Out of interest does is need to be rated for the OC voltage (in this case over 100) or the V max (under 100) ?

Back