CTEK D250SA Issue

bailezzz

Hey all. I recently bought a brand new 120aH AGM battery for my second battery in my car. I charged it up to 100% on a battery charger in my house and then put it straight into my car and connected it to my CTEK D250SA. On startup of the car the ctek began charging my battery at 14.7V and a current varying between 0.60-1.2A (Absorption stage). It charged like this for 2 hours before I turned the car off and gave up. If my battery was already at 100% why isn’t my ctek charging it at the float stage of 13.5V? I feel as if it may be overcharging it considering it was already at 100%. Is this normal. Any insight is appreciated

C3424B7A-9761-4AEB-BDA8-AA46AF0FB119.jpeg

What battery charger did you use in your house? Does it have a dedicated multistage AGM charging mode?

You says current between 0.6 and 1.2A is this decreasing? Ie it’s gone from 1.2 to 0.6 - this would be normal in absorption mode.
Do you have any load on the leisure battery?

Simon

What he said....

What charger was you using and how long was it connected?

It could take 24hrs or more to fully top up.

Leave it connected and use like normal, the CTEK will do its thing and full charge the battery eventually.

As for the shunt..... It will re calibrate itself.... It will just show 100% as the battery continues to take a charge,.. that's normal.

14.7v is fine for an AGM battery....

And 0.6A would imply its almost full..

The CTEK d250 will be going through its smart charger program..... Eventually it will drop to 13.5ish....

But depending on the AGM, it might rest higher than that, like 13.6 or 13.8v..... so you might not notice the charger going into float stage before going back into bulk stage.

Looks like a nice setup... Post some pics of your setup, charger and battery's etc.

What battery charger did you use in your house? Does it have a dedicated multistage AGM charging mode?

You says current between 0.6 and 1.2A is this decreasing? Ie it’s gone from 1.2 to 0.6 - this would be normal in absorption mode.
Do you have any load on the leisure battery?

Simon
I used a 9 stage kickass battery charger in my house so no issues there.
Nah the current was fluctuating up and down between those figures.
Had no load at the time of charging.
Thanks for the reply

I love the KickAss stuff and Redarc....

If I was in Auz that's what I'd be using too.

It's not really available in the UK, though there are Redarc dealers here....

I have a Redarc bcdc1240 & bcdc1250d myself.

Screenshot_20220522-095315_Chrome.jpg

I wou
14.7v is fine for an AGM battery....

And 0.6A would imply its almost full..

The CTEK d250 will be going through its smart charger program..... Eventually it will drop to 13.5ish....

But depending on the AGM, it might rest higher than that, like 13.6 or 13.8v..... so you might not notice the charger going into float stage before going back into bulk stage
I usually wouldn’t be to worried but the fact it was 100% from my house charger 10 minutes before hand has me worried as to why it was still charging at the absorption stage.

Every Auz install needs an Anderson plug or two.... :mexican wave:

I love them and use them everywhere... On the Power side.

I use MC4 for solar side.

I wou

I usually wouldn’t be to worried but the fact it was 100% from my house charger 10 minutes before hand has me worried as to why it was still charging at the absorption stage.
Different charger, different profile.

The CTEK might need to go through its stages for a time.....

I have a CTEK MXS charger next to me now.... It has charge status LEDs on it show the stages... The d250 doesn't.

But it's a good charger, give your charger more time....

20220522_095701.jpg

Can I use the Victron mppt 100/30 and connect to the ctek d250se on solar input so that the ctek charges my starter battery and leisure battery?
my solar200w has to large output 27v

Can I use the Victron mppt 100/30 and connect to the ctek d250se on solar input so that the ctek charges my starter battery and leisure battery?
my solar200w has to large output 27v
No, your not supposed do that....

Though technicaly provided the Victron output was bellow 23v it could work.... But the Victron is smart and detects the battery voltage at intervals.... Which it won't see when delivering power to the CTEK.

You could connect the Victron to the LB.

Then charge the starter via other means...

See below.

Last edited:
Or connect the Victron to the starter ..... And let the CTEK charge the LB.

Via the Auto VSR method.

If you have lowish loads this works ok.

If you have higher loads is best to directly charge the LB with the solar.

Myself and others have gone for the AMT12 option from Abelmail. ( A small smart box of tricks that back charges the starter from the solar charged LB)

Back