I recently purchased a set of KONI Special Active shocks from Steve / @CRS Performance and thought I'd share my thoughts. The previous suspension set up was the 30mm sportline springs which were fitted when the van was nearly new on the standard shocks, I've driven approximately 25k miles in this configuration. I'd never been happy with the ride quality, it was pretty terrible on our rural Cumbrian back roads, I'd describe it as harsh and choppy. Having no desire to lower the van any further, I had consigned myself to the poor ride and thought that was it.

Then I began to see Steve's posts about the KONI shocks, I watched with caution but the good reviews kept coming in. Being happy with the ride height I couldn't justify the need for more costly coilovers so I took the plunge and bought a set of KONI Special Active shocks for the van. I had them fitted by a local garage and kept the original 30mm Eibach lowering springs. The garage had an issue with the top nut on the front shocks, I got in touch with Steve and he was straight on the phone to the mechanic and the issue was sorted.

I collected the van on Monday, and I have to say that the difference in ride comfort is phenomenal. The way the shocks soak up imperfections is very impressive and cornering ability is greatly improved with the van feeling more stable and planted. Obviously, suspension is a subjective matter but the KONI special active's do everything I want them to.

Thanks to @CRS Performance for supplying the shocks and putting up with my questions. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Must say the VW guys were there usual SURE self , but sadly I had to mislead them to point them to the problem . They were very appreciative and polite in handling this . Not the usual " you fitted something foreign we don't want anything to do with it" attitude . No one is fool proof but the way you handle problems always gets noticed I firmly believe . >

Glad you are happy Lakes T6 those are very special dampers , Factory fitted to Lamborghini , Aston Martin, McLaren and the list goes on ? they are a patented part .

Currently saving for these. Need to make the ride more bearable in my t32 bone shaker. Didnt think the roads were too bad until I got this van.

I was looking to have the ARB's fitted too and Steve didn't think they were needed so I didn't. Handling transformed with H&R springs and Koni shocks. It corners nice and flat and not harsh at all. Damping is a lot better - much less bouncy!

I’m having these fitted in August and can’t wait, thinking of a ARB aswell @CRS Performance is it worth fitting that aswell or not?
If your vehicle is a Camper the anti roll bars are a nice addition , even more stability in corners to control the raised Centre of Gravity caused by the conversion .

I want to echo @LakesT6 comments.
I have the Koni shocks from Chris, and the service has been the best out there - it really is above and beyond and I have no hesitation in recommending his services to my friends, colleagues and T6 owners:cool:

So a quick review of my T6 with the Koni Coilovers fitted and set up by CRS Performance.

I drove up from Kent in the Shuttle on the standard 17” steelies and arrived about 9am, Steve made me a tea and we had a chat about what I wanted to achieve. After me saying I was prepared to suffer ride over looks we went out in his demo van for a lap and purposely drove over ruts and pot holes.
I was amazed as I was expecting it to be a tooth smashing spine basher as his was running at 85mm drop. If I could get a ride anywhere near that I’d be chuffed. I mentioned that the van would be getting a Slidepod and they’d weighed it at 100kg so that was taken into consideration. Steve they measured the van as it stood with rake angle

They steamed into my van and within no time the coil overs were fitted, the van was dropped onto the ground and after all the measurements It was sitting at 75mm lower spot on. Steve said I had another 5mm to drop so I said do it so they redid it 5mm lower for me. We went out for a test drive and hit the ruts, speed bumps and pot holes to see how it would ride. It was amazing, drove superb even softer than the demo (17” vs 20” wheels).
Well happy I paid the £1395 including fitting and set off home Instantly the van felt different, attitude and road holding were day and night. Somehow it felt faster and more nimble. My boy said it felt like we were driving in widescreen. On the motorway the van was noticeably quieter and more sure footed even in cross winds. The worst roads on that 180 mile trip were where I live and it handled them easily.

A few days later the 20” wheels turned up, these had a dramatic on the van, less sidewall has made it a harder ride definitely, but it still drives like it’s not been lowered drastically and is a pleasure to drive.
I did a three hour round trip in it and it rubbed the arch inner ever so slightly on a fast drop on a dual carriageway but it was loaded at the time. So I’m going to mod the inner arches to sort that but It’s been impeccable every other time. I took Oli’s advice and fitted 265 tyres and I think that’s helped.

So I now have an 80mm drop T6 that drives like a well set up car. Top work CRS if I only had £1400 to spend again I would have the suspension and not the wheels it’s that impressive.
04AE818F-3958-415D-9571-CDF7CE225723.jpeg

D1BBD58A-7D02-40F7-8913-C7FADF98DCDA.jpeg
1C56B145-9776-4FF3-AE77-1971AF1B9AE7.jpeg

Nice one spencer, the koni's are a great product and Steve at crs is one of the best... Just remember to get the wheel alignment geometry done next.. :thumbsup:

80mm is without any mods, that is just the adjustment on the coil overs. CRS demo van is at 85 with the hub mod but only to give the shock more range I think.

Back