The wife did notice the van was "less bouncy" on the drive home but she now has less of a struggle getting in and out with the reduction in height and that she says was worth the money alone.
My wife (who is a secret petrolhead) noticed immediately when I got home. Within 30 seconds of her driving, she commented on the more assured handling. Her complaint was why VW let a California (with all the extra weight) out of the factory with the lightest of ARBs and it is for the customer to put it right afterwards given how much a California costs.

My wife (who is a secret petrolhead) noticed immediately when I got home. Within 30 seconds of her driving, she commented on the more assured handling. Her complaint was why VW let a California (with all the extra weight) out of the factory with the lightest of ARBs and it is for the customer to put it right afterwards given how much a California costs.
Mrs @JOG has a good point!?

Reactions: Ozi
So what does CRS suggest for a California to improve it? Or is that a massive discussion?
The best thing to do is have a chat with him and explain your issues and what you want to achieve. I have a Beach and tow a twin-axle caravan. I’m not lowering or putting on big wheels. I have Koni Avtives with H&R ARBs.

Last edited:
Another happy @CRS Performance customer today.

My van was generically ‘lowered’ when I bought it a couple of weeks back but I noticed straight away that it wasn’t quite right, besides from the looks:

09DBFA27-FAF1-4186-BA1A-9E49E6C97ED4.jpeg

At motorway speeds the van felt like it was being buffered by high cross-winds and around town felt as though it pogoed back and forth as I went over bumps. So I called Steve had a chat about what I wanted from the van and the fact that I had 275/40 R20’s all-round and we agreed on the H&R Coilovers with a sensible drop (65mm) with an option to upgrade the ARB’s at a later date.

49411F8C-055C-43A7-9991-1478E16AEE7B.jpeg

My issues have been mostly solved, the pogoing had gone and there was only very slight occasional buffering on the drive back home - but it was windy to be fair so it’s probably just that? I suspect right sizing the tyres would help but I won’t do this until I’m due a set as the setup is now miles better and feels much safer.

Another happy @CRS Performance customer today.

My van was generically ‘lowered’ when I bought it a couple of weeks back but I noticed straight away that it wasn’t quite right, besides from the looks:

View attachment 146026

At motorway speeds the van felt like it was being buffered by high cross-winds and around town felt as though it pogoed back and forth as I went over bumps. So I called Steve had a chat about what I wanted from the van and the fact that I had 275/40 R20’s all-round and we agreed on the H&R Coilovers with a sensible drop (65mm) with an option to upgrade the ARB’s at a later date.

View attachment 146028

My issues have been mostly solved, the pogoing had gone and there was only very slight occasional buffering on the drive back home - but it was windy to be fair so it’s probably just that? I suspect right sizing the tyres would help but I won’t do this until I’m due a set as the setup is now miles better and feels much safer.
Nice. Get rid of the over wide balloons on the front and the steering response and tracking is significantly improved.

Reminds me of my camper before Steve @CRS Performance worked his magic. 50mm lowered at the front and 80mm at the back. Now gorgeously level!
I’m beginning to think it’s quite common, when I called I was all like ‘my van is really this and scary that and looks…’ and the answer was like yes, we sorted 3 just like yours yesterday haha

I think mine was -50mm Front and -100mm Rear - everything about it was just all wrong, looks drive etc. but I can also understand why converters do this as the ‘right’ solution is 10x the cost of a set of generic springs and a lot would just accept it as it’s just a camper

So what does CRS suggest for a California to improve it? Or is that a massive discussion?

A little bit of a story yes , but
Depends on the year your California was made I’ll explain
T5 and T6 Californias always had the back end lower than the front. This was because the rear spring wasn’t spec d correctly. The rear anti roll bar was also incorrect. It would appear that they simply built the California on a T30 chassis and used all the normal components of a T30. ,.. the weight of the conversion ( albeit Factory done) was on the back axle hence the 25 to 30 mm sag at the rear . Thoroughbred Cali owners often argue with me that it was done to level the sink and hob when parked up. ???? Sorry lads. There is no way the sink and hob is important when the saggy back end causes under steer. . Sadly the day you realize that is probably one day too late .
It’s an easy fix. And a lot of solutions.
the cheapest being fitting a set of T32 springs and hope it levels it enough , Crude solution because the T32 spring is harder .
fitting a correctly spec d spring kit that can lower the vehicle to a level 40 mm.
Drop the front 30 mm to level the vehicle without changing the rear springs .
All these options we would recommend with a proper set of Shock absorbers to improve Comfort, Handling
, body roll and nose dive pitch ,
At CRS we have developed a range of springs that can set up heavy vehicles like this at the desired 40 mm. The need for this became apparent when we saw how many inferior coil over kits and spring kits were being fitted and they simply Struggled to hold the weight at the designed height and the ride was shocking. ( excuse the pun ) .
The reason I said at the beginning , it depends on the age of your California is because VW have recently re done the rear suspension on T6.1. Californias. The springs are holding the van more level and the T32 rear anti roll bar is now used. , sadly the shocks are still. rubbish And still need changing . If you want it lower the springs would also need to be changed . But with good uprated shocks and the thicker T32. Arb the results are very good (. The T6.1 anti roll bar kit from H and R. is now approaching 600 pounds. ).

Last edited:
Ta for that. I did a bit of searching after I posted & realised it was a subject that had been up for lots of discussion.

Very helpful.

I should have done the search first but tbh I've never really understood the suspension stuff.

Very happy customer, thanks Steve. Koni Special Actives in place of the standard shocks using the original T32 springs. No height changes, spacers or big wheels.
The results are really impressive. Much much better ride quality than the crashy standard set up. Handling far better, van stays flatter and remains composed through mid corner bumps with a lot less under steer. Braking and acceleration body control is also way ahead of the standard shocks.
But the important thing is, comfort comfort comfort. No more rattling cutlery drawer or jarring potholes. Arrived home after 9 hours on the road and am convinced I am in much better shape than doing the same drive on standard shocks. Without doubt one of the best value spends I have made on the van.
@CRS Performance gets very high recommendations on the forum and quite rightly so.

Hi all
just had my T6 suspension sorted, CRS changed all the shocks and springs, the ride before the job was hideous, it wallowed, it was down about 2” at the back compared to the front and when you went around the roundabouts you leaned the opposite way to stop it toppling over (exaggerated)
The new suspension has now got rid of all the issues and now rides a dream, service and help was brilliant
Thanks to Steve and Steve from CRS who sorted the problem out first time

Just popped into CRS today with my T32. Steve was just as described in the chat, very knowledgeable and accommodating. New koni shocks and spacers installed in just over an hour. Van is transformed. Driving home I was looking for potholes to drive over. No more crashing and banging when driving over the slightest bump. Best thing I’ve spent on the van. Thanks to both Steve’s.

Just popped into CRS today with my T32. Steve was just as described in the chat, very knowledgeable and accommodating. New koni shocks and spacers installed in just over an hour. Van is transformed. Driving home I was looking for potholes to drive over. No more crashing and banging when driving over the slightest bump. Best thing I’ve spent on the van. Thanks to both Steve’s.
That's good to hear as I'm getting up very early to go there tomorrow!

That's good to hear as I'm getting up very early to go there tomorrow!
Having done it myself, you’ll be glad you did! Better prepare for a silly grin on your face for the drive home - it makes such a difference

Back