Crispy’s ‘TIPPSY’ - Daily driver, camper and motorbike hauler

I think the Fiamma F40 Van is coming top of the awning list. Super low profile and attaches using existing roof rack mounting points. No drilling! REEEESULT!

Fiamma_F40_Van_Campervan_Awning[4].jpg

07503H01R_i.jpg

Amazing service from agentfiamma.com
Ordered a Fiamma F40 Van Awning and fitting kit on Friday lunch time. Arrived this morning!
Very impressed with the quality of the Fiamma. Fitting was super simple and fast. We t from two boxes to a fitted awning in 15 minutes. I’ll report on the awning....once it stops pouring with rain!

Amazing service from agentfiamma.com
Ordered a Fiamma F40 Van Awning and fitting kit on Friday lunch time. Arrived this morning!
Very impressed with the quality of the Fiamma. Fitting was super simple and fast. We t from two boxes to a fitted awning in 15 minutes. I’ll report on the awning....once it stops pouring with rain!
I like the look of this. My main gripe with my otherwise fab Dometic awning is that it's fitted to the side of the van, and when it rains there's a small gap between the awning and the van that water drips through onto the steps and in the open side door. I've run a length of foam quite snugly down the gap, which has helped, but it's not watertight by any means.

So with the Fiamma F40, is there a gap between the awning and the van, or does it sit on the roof far enough so that no water runs down?

Thanks.

P.S. Anyone got a clever fix for plugging my gap between my awning and my van?

I like the look of this. My main gripe with my otherwise fab Dometic awning is that it's fitted to the side of the van, and when it rains there's a small gap between the awning and the van that water drips through onto the steps and in the open side door. I've run a length of foam quite snugly down the gap, which has helped, but it's not watertight by any means.

So with the Fiamma F40, is there a gap between the awning and the van, or does it sit on the roof far enough so that no water runs down?

Thanks.

I haven’t used it yet but from the way it fits and where it fits there is no gap that rain would gather off the roof and pour down the side of the van. Unless wind is blowing the water off the roof, past the gutter and through the small gap, I can’t see water being much of an issue.
I had a Dometic on my last T5 and now I’ve seen how this one mounts I don’t understand why they don’t all mount this way.
I can take some pictures tomorrow to show more precisely how and where it fits if you’d like?

Last edited:

Thanks.

An expensive fix. Would the Fiamma Rain Guard fit your Dometic?

Thanks, yes I've looked at those before, but I think they are designed for roofs that don't lift up...?
I've got one on my side elevator, there's a few pics of others on here with normal pop-tops, I'll search them out later :thumbsup:

I've got one on my side elevator, there's a few pics of others on here with normal pop-tops, I'll search them out later :thumbsup:

That'd be awesome, thanks - just can't really get my head around how it will fill the gap without impairing the roof lifting.

A few detail shots of how and where the Fiamma F40 mounts to the rails. Looks like any rain off the roof will still make it’s way off down the rain gutter and windscreen. The main body of the awning and where the canopy winds out looks like it’ll cover the transition to the side/sliding door:

819EBA59-AF45-450E-827D-0F736B5A0298.jpeg

1378AF61-3C80-4EC0-8137-9F2120B49B5B.jpeg

EE2DC403-818A-4184-93DD-277B2EF81F0F.jpeg

Sorry for the lack of updates in the last couple of weeks. Been busy on freelance design jobs.

The rear sleeping section of Tippsy is complete. Mattresses have both been upholstered and we've got two Outwell square sleeping bags. With all the panels and roof now insulated and sound deadened it's done...for now! I might add some sound deadening and insulation to the front doors and in the roof of the cab too when I get a spare weekend. The GoalZero Yeti 500X and rechargeable LED lights are brilliant. Very versatile and easy to use.

I'm very impressed with the Fiamma F70 Van. The fitting kit is extremely well thought out. Simple and elegant. The awning sits very close to the van and keeps the profile nice and low. And, it's massive compared to the Dometic I had previously. Roll on the next trip out.

Next couple of jobs for Tippsy are only little ones but best get them done whilst front of mind. Firstly I’ll be swapping out the OEM Fiamma grub screws that hold the awning into the brackets with security headed screws. And because I’m a suckers for it I’ll be lock wiring them for a little added security and to stop them ever loosening. Second job will be to add a small momentary button into the rear tailgate as there isn’t a factory release. Piccies to follow...

I didn't know there was an awning you could bolt on using the roof rail screws, that's excellent for ease of fitting and removal. Only downside is it makes the van that bit taller (I need to get into height restricted car parks)

What would be the benefit of lock wiring? I guess it's more faff, but it's not more secure is it? Only really stops them from falling out from vibration...?

I didn't know there was an awning you could bolt on using the roof rail screws, that's excellent for ease of fitting and removal. Only downside is it makes the van that bit taller (I need to get into height restricted car parks)

What would be the benefit of lock wiring? I guess it's more faff, but it's not more secure is it? Only really stops them from falling out from vibration...?

I'd say the overall height is only 3-4 inches higher than the roof with the F70 Van fitted. I'll measure up and let you know the exact additional height. As for the lock wire it's pretty much only for peace of mind so I know the bolts will be kept from loosening accidentally through vibration. The security headed bolts are the security measure for a slightly less nickable bit of kit

The very top of the awning profile sits about 3 1/4 inches above the roofline:

F426E40A-2F9B-4137-BE36-E9D35E7ECA73.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Phew, that's definitely too close to get under a 2m height restriction without giving myself a minor heartache each time

Will stick with awning rail and canopy!

Loving your build crispy! are you going to add a solar panel to your Yeti?

Thanks @dErZ. I’ve really enjoyed building it. Just a couple more bits to do to the interior such as the internal tailgate release and an under seat storage box.

We plan to do a few multi-day trips next year so I will be adding a portable solar panel to the set-up. It’ll likely be a Goal Zero one, probably this one: Goal Zero Boulder 50

546F42A2-4CE2-4CA9-8A27-086E31B051F8.png

Back