Creaking noise at low speeds

Chris82

Hi all
I’ve noticed my van has started making a creaking noise when travelling on slow bumpy, pulling off from junctions and going round bends and roundabouts at a slow speed. At first I thought it was something to do with the pop top as it sounded internal but now I’m not to sure as I’ve had that checked by the installers and they said it’s ok, has anyone had a similar experience with there van?

What's your setup in the back? If it's a kombi have you had the rear seats out lately?

What's your setup in the back? If it's a kombi have you had the rear seats out lately?
It’s just a standard panel van that’s been ply lined and carpeted in the back including the floor, it’s a tailgate if that makes any difference?

To eliminate the roof from the equation would it be possible to find a big car park, put the roof up and then start/stop and do a few low speed turns etc and see if the creek has magically disappeared? Even better if it has a few speed humps or similar.

I had an awful creak from the tailgate that took ages to identify. Removed and refitted rear suspension in an attempt to find it. Turned out to be simple adjustment of the tailgate damper stops. Just drive round with the tailgate open to identify it as the issue. If that’s it then follow the adjustment guide on the forum. Hope that helps

Cheers for the reply guys, I will give it a go tomorrow at work where there is plenty of uneven land to test out your suggestions

Just noticed this on mine recently. Definitely coming from the rear on uneven ground or corners. How did you get on?

I had creaking from tailgate over rough surface and around corners. Adjustment of tailgate damper stoppers (positioned on each side) fixed the problem.

Just noticed this on mine recently. Definitely coming from the rear on uneven ground or corners. How did you get on?
I adjusted the dampers on the tailgate, and it seemed to have stopped the creaking, although it’s come back a bit recently just not as bad.

I had an awful creak from the tailgate that took ages to identify. Removed and refitted rear suspension in an attempt to find it. Turned out to be simple adjustment of the tailgate damper stops. Just drive round with the tailgate open to identify it as the issue. If that’s it then follow the adjustment guide on the forum. Hope that helps
are you able to link to the guide please? I can't find it and suspect this will resolve my creaking noise problem.

Back