Crank seal leak - urgent repair?

artv

Hi

I picked up a VW T6 with 45K mileage.

It had dual mass flywheel and clutch and cambelt done back in October '21 and it's done less than 5k since then.

Thought I'd see about a VW all-in-one package but when they checked the car they said the oil level was way too high, and there was an leak in crank seal/pump and a split in the exhaust rear egr pipe. They quoted almost £1000 for this work and said they'd need proof that VW parts were used for previous work. Which since the major work was done not at VW is unlikely. So not using VW.

Would folks here consider this an urgent repair? It's not dripping on the drive - and I've had the excess oil removed to bring to down to max (which was apparently a risk). To do the repair would require a new cambelt even though just replaced a few k ago. It's booked in to have all the work done by a garage I trust 100% - but it's costly and a friend who's a mechanic told me he wouldn't bother! Said to just wipe down the excess oil and keep an eye on it until the cambelt is due replacing.

Just interested in thoughts here - I know you can't see the leak but even VW said it was fine to drive.

Thanks!

oil level was way too high, - maybe it was overfilled, thats an easy fix. which you done. ( cheap easy fix, but keep an eye on the level to make sure its not going up again, from coolant or diesel in the oil, what the water level too.)

leak in crank seal/pump - this will leak oil, so can you see a leak or drip? - take some pics from underneath. ( this will be expensive to fix, and should have been noticed when the DMF was done)

split in the exhaust rear egr pipe - this will be evident as exhaust smell in cab, and a common part to fail. - if you smell fumes get this replaced. ( cheap-ish easy fix)

oil level was way too high, - maybe it was overfilled, thats an easy fix. which you done. ( cheap easy fix, but keep an eye on the level to make sure its not going up again, from coolant or diesel in the oil, what the water level too.)

leak in crank seal/pump - this will leak oil, so can you see a leak or drip? - take some pics from underneath. ( this will be expensive to fix, and should have been noticed when the DMF was done)

split in the exhaust rear egr pipe - this will be evident as exhaust smell in cab, and a common part to fail. - if you smell fumes get this replaced. ( cheap-ish easy fix)
Many thanks - super helpful. There's a drip tray (I think?) under leak so not easy to see. Yes frustrating not done when they replaced DMF and clutch in October. And waste having to put a new cambelt in but I'm going for it since would be nice to have everything right at least intitially!

The cambelt itself is a cheap item.

It's the labor involved that makes the job expensive.

But it's recommended to be replaced if removed by VW ..... some old skool mechanics would say it's ok to refit the old one, but probably wouldn't gauruntee the job.

The DMF is a huge job as well ... And at the opposite end of the engine.

The gearbox and DMF will have to come off to get to the oil seal. (If that's the one that's leaking)

The cambelt itself is a cheap item.

It's the labor involved that makes the job expensive.

But it's recommended to be replaced if removed by VW ..... some old skool mechanics would say it's ok to refit the old one, but probably wouldn't gauruntee the job.

The DMF is a huge job as well ... And at the opposite end of the engine.

The gearbox and DMF will have to come off to get to the oil seal. (If that's the one that's leaking)

oil level was way too high, - maybe it was overfilled, thats an easy fix. which you done. ( cheap easy fix, but keep an eye on the level to make sure its not going up again, from coolant or diesel in the oil, what the water level too.) leak in crank seal/pump - this will leak oil, so can you see a leak or drip? - take some pics from underneath. ( this will be expensive to fix, and should have been noticed when the DMF was done) split in the exhaust rear egr pipe - this will be evident as exhaust smell in cab, and a common part to fail. - if you smell fumes get this replaced. ( cheap-ish easy fix)

Back