Crank Case Seal Replacement

Ouch. Whilst an improvement on my £1,070 quoted, it is still a chunk of money on a 6 year old van that has already had a cam belt on schedule and an aux belt as the pulley was squeaking, both at my cost.

Has anyone had any success in getting a goodwill contribution from VW? It sounds as if the part is not fit for purpose.

So when my leak started the van was in for a 3 year service, they spotted the leak and quoted £750 to fix. The service reception robot told me that sadly my van was just outside the 3 year warranty period and that VW were not prepared to make a contribution (even though my van is impeccably serviced above and beyond VW intervals).

I quite enjoyed seeing them squirm when I reminded them of my 5 year warranty, robbing b’stards would have quite happily taken my money even though the extended warranty was still clearly in place.

mine has a tiny oil leak, nothing on drive but underside I covered and Iv got a terrible feeling that it is the same thing!!!

T6.1 New seal for crank case discovered at 20.000 service and oil change. £1.052 pounds. 5 hour job. Fortunately inside warranty.
How would you know if not for service inspection. No sensor light etc.
Had a T5 for seven years not one problem. This T6.1 is like a high maintenance hooker.

T6.1 New seal for crank case discovered at 20.000 service and oil change. £1.052 pounds. 5 hour job. Fortunately inside warranty.
Had a T5 for seven years not one problem. This T6.1 is like a high maintenance hooker.
“High maintenance hooker”…ain’t that the truth

Thread resurrection! Has anyone had a price recently for doing the crank seal separately. I suspect I'm going to have to phone some Indys.

This seems to be a fairly common problem from looking on here. Sadly I've just been told by my VW service centre that I have the same issue. I suspected it, since I noticed a slight mark when changing the front discs recently, although hoped it might be leftover from a fairly recent aux belt change.

Since both my cam belt and aux belt have been changed in recent years, this will be a standalone piece of work and I've just been quoted £1,100. :oops:
I just paid £1200 for crank seal cambelt water pump and re seal of sump. Was still leaking oil so now it's got to go back in for crankshaft seal all because they missed this first time around.

Tell me about it there hard work iv just been quoted ten grand by VW to put mine right. Finance company are liable for the lot but there playing hard ball

Hi just noticed an oil leak and thought it was the sump until s member stated it looked like crank seal.. uurrgh just had cam belt done 4 months ago and seeing that it’s a £1k jobs is making me sweat… just wondering is it safe to drive with a leaky crank seal if this is what I have? 30136DE1-A732-4810-9F6F-12A1DF56717C.jpeg

Just had to have my seal done and paid a little over £700 to Inde-tech in Milton Keynes. I’ve used them for years and they’re great. That included a cambelt kit, while it was only done a year ago they did say it’s possible but not ideal to re-tension the belt, there was no hard sell, it would have been just under £500 without new belt kit so I figured for £200 it’s not worth the gamble.

Just had to have my seal done and paid a little over £700 to Inde-tech in Milton Keynes. I’ve used them for years and they’re great. That included a cambelt kit, while it was only done a year ago they did say it’s possible but not ideal to re-tension the belt, there was no hard sell, it would have been just under £500 without new belt kit so I figured for £200 it’s not worth the gamble.
Thanks for the heads up, will get it checked out by my local garage and see what they think it is, but as you all have stated it is probably the crank seal. Thanks for the recommendation though appreciated. Daniel

The seal is £38 then it’s labour, bit of a pain in the ass to do. I tend to take the housing off and change the seal on the bench. You can do it in situ but it’s a bit nasty as you have to pic it out and you run the risk of scratching/damaging something. I’d say 30mins to an hour is reasonable.

Ok been a while since, done a few long trips to wales and confirmed the crank seal is leaking.. will be getting fixed next week . Sigh. On the plus been quoted 590 with new cam belt.

Back