Crank Case Seal Replacement

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
I took my T32 204 DSG 4Motion in for its first oil change, and they found a leak in the crank case oil seal. Obviously all fixed under warranty, but the guy at Cordwallis VW said it’s not uncommon. So thought I’d post it just in case anyone wants to check theirs

Any chance of a pic detailing the leak location?
Assuming it was wet at the bottom of the bell housing?

I didn’t see it myself, he said it was a seal that goes around the crank shaft, and something about a corkscrew the pushes the oil?? As you can see engines aren’t my thing! I’ll upload any job reports later.

A picture about leaking seal at front end of the engine. More difficult to see "the symptoms" if the leak is on the other end of the engine.
T6_Cam_shaft_oil_leak_a.jpg

I just called up to see what time my van needs collecting as I was told it was a five hour job, the guy on the phone told me it won’t be ready until tomorrow as they never realised it was a 4 motion and that’s actually a 12 hour job. I pointed out that the oil leak was discovered when they did my first oil service so if the technician didn’t realise it was a 4 motion perhaps he’s in the wrong job. It’s quite worrying really because any body who can read the badges would know what it is.

Reactions: DXX
I took my T32 204 DSG 4Motion in for its first oil change, and they found a leak in the crank case oil seal. Obviously all fixed under warranty, but the guy at Cordwallis VW said it’s not uncommon. So thought I’d post it just in case anyone wants to check theirs

My van is in for the 40k DSG service
I have just been informed that the crank seal is leaking!!
By the look it is a common fault,my van is a 4Motion 204 so looks to be a long job,not good when all the van is kitted out for the jobs we do.Its not just a case of taking a few tools out all my stock and equipment stay in the van.

Not best pleased.:mad:

IMG_7240[1].JPG

Assuming they are replacing the seal with exactly the same component what to prevent the seal failing again!?
If it’s only 4 Motions affected perhaps the 4WD drive train is creating some additional thrust on the crankshaft.

My mate has had 2 fitted on his 2 wheel drive 204 ,so I think it across the 204 range.

My van is in for the 40k DSG service
I have just been informed that the crank seal is leaking!!
By the look it is a common fault,my van is a 4Motion 204 so looks to be a long job,not good when all the van is kitted out for the jobs we do.Its not just a case of taking a few tools out all my stock and equipment stay in the van.

Not best pleased.:mad:

View attachment 56082
Mine was in overnight

Hi all,

my mechanic has just told me he suspect crank seal on mine has gone too! Mine is Vw transporter t6 Kombi van LWB start line 102.

hew going to clean oil off and remove trays then once dry tomorrow, start engine to see exactly where oil is coming from, I noticed a burning oil smell in my van so had a look in engine and notice bottom left side oil and has also been hitting belt causing it to flick it up higher. I will keep yous posted any advice would be appreciated it’s done 89k and full service 6k ago

Had mine replaced today,while my van was in for cam belt and water pump,the guys at midland Vw told me theyve had to do a few recently.

Update:- Mechanic removed trays and cleaned off oil and once dry following day they left engine running for a few hours also drove it for a few short runs but no sign of any leaks? Im baffled to say the least as it must of come from somewhere. So they told me to collect today and keep checking after each journey see if any sign of oil again. I’ve drove 50 miles trip on motorway and looks good. I’m booking in for cambelt and water pump plus oil change. Next week. I will keep you updated. Thanks for reply Silverfox :thumbsup:

Question: How much extra for crank seal at the same time as cambelt/water pump??
Also how long??

We are starting to these more commonly now. And actually keeping the seal in stock now for when doing Cambelt changes.

Thanks guys really appreciate the help and advice. I will definitely be asking to do this at the same time. :thumbsup:

Thread resurrection! Has anyone had a price recently for doing the crank seal separately. I suspect I'm going to have to phone some Indys.

This seems to be a fairly common problem from looking on here. Sadly I've just been told by my VW service centre that I have the same issue. I suspected it, since I noticed a slight mark when changing the front discs recently, although hoped it might be leftover from a fairly recent aux belt change.

Since both my cam belt and aux belt have been changed in recent years, this will be a standalone piece of work and I've just been quoted £1,100. :oops:

Back