Cracked Pop Top

We see this kind of cracking in my industry a lot. (Caravans and Motorhomes)
It normally originates from a single source like a screw hole or even a defect in the fibreglass where there's a weak spot, and works it's way across a panel over time.

There is a famous case of a certain big Caravan manufacture and a Caravan cleaning product that was blamed for rear panels cracking. This was taken to court and an investigation proved that it was nothing to do with the cleaning product. It was where the manufacture were drilling pilot holes for screws, but the holes weren't big enough, meaning each time the screws were tightened, they stretched the pilot hole and cracked the panels slightly. This then led to the cracks getting bigger as the Caravans were being towed and flexed around.
Why did the manufacture blame the cleaning product? Simply because they went back to all the owners of the damaged Caravans and asked a list of questions, including what they'd used to clean their Caravans, and as this product was and still is the most popular Caravan cleaning product in the industry, the owners kept repeating this product name, thus the Caravan manufacture thinking this was the cause of the issue because it was the only consistent answer.

That's worrying. Is it possible to see how deep it is? Presumably the fix is very different if it's just the paintwork rather than a structural crack in the fibreglass itself.

Sorry to hear of your troubles......just checked with the wife ...time served boat repair and maintenance...worked on fibreglass for years...simple answer it can be repaired ,she says any good motorcycle repairers or marine trade outlets ( it’s there bread and butter repairing damaged fairings etc)

Ps ....is it under warranty

We see this kind of cracking in my industry a lot. (Caravans and Motorhomes)
It normally originates from a single source like a screw hole or even a defect in the fibreglass where there's a weak spot, and works it's way across a panel over time.

There is a famous case of a certain big Caravan manufacture and a Caravan cleaning product that was blamed for rear panels cracking. This was taken to court and an investigation proved that it was nothing to do with the cleaning product. It was where the manufacture were drilling pilot holes for screws, but the holes weren't big enough, meaning each time the screws were tightened, they stretched the pilot hole and cracked the panels slightly. This then led to the cracks getting bigger as the Caravans were being towed and flexed around.
Why did the manufacture blame the cleaning product? Simply because they went back to all the owners of the damaged Caravans and asked a list of questions, including what they'd used to clean their Caravans, and as this product was and still is the most popular Caravan cleaning product in the industry, the owners kept repeating this product name, thus the Caravan manufacture thinking this was the cause of the issue because it was the only consistent answer.
Interesting thank you

Sorry to hear of your troubles......just checked with the wife ...time served boat repair and maintenance...worked on fibreglass for years...simple answer it can be repaired ,she says any good motorcycle repairers or marine trade outlets ( it’s there bread and butter repairing damaged fairings etc)

Ps ....is it under warranty
Hi not under warranty. Ihave being thinking along those lines so good to know thanks

It is not under warranty? I believe my austops roof comes with 5 years

Edit: sorry, just seen your reply.

Hi all
Thought I’d piggy back on this thread instead of starting new one

I’ve noticed a crack in the front of the pop top,
Anyway
This is the damage I’ve spotted.

Is it a problem or will it be ok???

2941817D-E76B-4E3F-B92D-06B1AF95690B.jpeg

5C457E36-6BAB-40D3-97A9-0EB6584ED347.jpeg

ED995091-9384-4C75-BA5C-1CC7D0140EFF.jpeg

ABD009D1-F852-4179-A26A-B189778A397C.jpeg

Your problem looks to be paint related rather than the structural crack the OP reported. The structural integrity of your roof would therefore be unaffected by the cracking paint. It's not an uncommon thing.

Looks like impact damage to me - the fibreglass flexes but the paint cracks. ( or gel coat cracks if the pigment is in the gelcoat ) See it all the time in dinghies that are lightly laid up like pop tops. Possibly caused by the roof being shut down onto some obstruction?

Looks like impact damage to me - the fibreglass flexes but the paint cracks. ( or gel coat cracks if the pigment is in the gelcoat ) See it all the time in dinghies that are lightly laid up like pop tops. Possibly caused by the roof being shut down onto some obstruction?

Is there a way of repairing the gel coat ?, filler or touch up , something like that?, It can’t be seen very well from the pictures but there is a small puncture as well as the marbling.

Thanks

Yeh saw that , I’ve bought the same stuff for the hole, I lifted the roof today and had a good look , no real damage done just the gel coat,
Thanks

Back