Cracked 22” alloy wheels

Wardy68

Hi Everyone

Please help !!

I've recently joined the T6 brotherhood and bought a converted Caravelle T6 which ticked all the boxes to transport family and dog.

I have however had a couple of problems, the main one is finding that 3 of my my 22" alloy wheels have cracks in them !! Initially I thought the previous owner had not been too careful with potholes etc so found somewhere to weld them and thought that would be the end of it. That was a week ago and since then more cracks have appeared and after some research have found cracks on large wheels with low profiles are common.

Bottom line is after only a month of ownership one of my wheels has now failed and my van is no longer road worthy !!

So I am looking for some advice as to the best size and type wheels and tyres to replace them with that still look the part but won't let me down.

Thanks for reading this and any help will really be appreciated.

Paul
Stockport

Hi Everyone

Please help !!

I've recently joined the T6 brotherhood and bought a converted Caravelle T6 which ticked all the boxes to transport family and dog.

I have however had a couple of problems, the main one is finding that 3 of my my 22" alloy wheels have cracks in them !! Initially I thought the previous owner had not been too careful with potholes etc so found somewhere to weld them and thought that would be the end of it. That was a week ago and since then more cracks have appeared and after some research have found cracks on large wheels with low profiles are common.

Bottom line is after only a month of ownership one of my wheels has now failed and my van is no longer road worthy !!

So I am looking for some advice as to the best size and type wheels and tyres to replace them with that still look the part but won't let me down.

Paul
Stockport
Sorry to hear of your predicament, Paul. Chuck up a photo and we can see what sort of wheel you like. There’s always wheel + tyre sets for sale on the forum..
Oh and welcome along

@Wardy68 I’m interested to know if the people who did the weld repairs did any form of crack detection before or after?

I used 2 companies over the last few weeks and really don’t know but the wheel that has failed cracked in 2 different places to the welds ……
I think I just have to accept that I need new wheels and tyres and need to bite the bullet. I just want to make sure the decision I make is a long term one and doesn’t put me in the same situation again !!

Are you sure they’re 22’s, they look like 20’s in the picture.

Lots of information regarding load ratings here.

I find it unbelievable that it’s even legal to weld on alloy wheels, a visible crack isn’t the full extent of a crack, if there is a crack it will cause yielding of the remaining structure. Just a can of worms!
From a welders point of view there’s no way I would give a detailed invoice / receipt.

Hi Everyone

Please help !!

Paul
Stockport
Hi Paul,
I’ve just bought a T6 and exactly the same has happened to us. I know this thread is old but I wondered what you did in the end?
I’m worried if I replace the cracked (in road worthy) wheel with another alloy it will happen again (loads of pot holes near is) and maybe I should just take the hit and replace all the wheels for steel (I’m not too bothered about the look as just want to feel free to bump around if I have too).
Thanks

Hi Paul,
I’ve just bought a T6 and exactly the same has happened to us. I know this thread is old but I wondered what you did in the end?
I’m worried if I replace the cracked (in road worthy) wheel with another alloy it will happen again (loads of pot holes near is) and maybe I should just take the hit and replace all the wheels for steel (I’m not too bothered about the look as just want to feel free to bump around if I have too).
Thanks
Loads of standard wheels on the for sale thread. Standard Clayton’s are insanely cheap if you aren’t looking for anything special

Hi Everyone

Please help !!

Paul
Stockport

@Wardy68 The option I am on is 20” which I think are the best option for the T6. Floyd is a T6 T32.

I have 20 x 8.5” ET35 on the front with the rears on 20 x 9” ET40. These will not catch your arches and will be way more robust than 22” plus the tyres should be cheaper.

You don’t say what van you have, ie. t28, T30 or T32 as this has a huge impact on tyre and wheels available to you.

Let me know if you need further

EB303713-BF0A-419D-809B-96772214BBA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Thanks
You've likely just got some poor quality wheels, maybe not with the correct load rating. Give us some info on wheel type and size and see if you can find out what weight they're rated for and we can all stick our oar in.

Thanks. Are they decent? (I know very little about wheels)
They are the VW wheels that come on most vans (hence cheap as loads about when people change them). Look on the thread, you can get a set of the wheel delivery miles only for less than a couple of tyres for your 22s!

Edit: sorry not your 22s, the OPs

They are the VW wheels that come on most vans (hence cheap as loads about when people change them). Look on the thread, you can get a set of the wheel delivery miles only for less than a couple of tyres for your 22s!

Edit: sorry not your 22s, the OPs
Thank you.

Back