Covid-19: How is it affecting you?

I am struggling to understand the keyworker list. Who do I contact to double check if I come under the keyworker list? I beleive I would be included in a small form.
There was a list published on key worker in the BBC website

Had last day of work on Friday. Freelance outdoor activity instructor. No work no pay, advice is to stay at home but now I have to go out and find a new area of work.
Probably travailing daily to another area as nothing in our rural area.

Beggars belief there are some selfish non caring tw*%s out there that have the audacity to call themselves parents. My other half is a teacher in a poor inner city area. The staff have been told they will need to cover the School 7am until 7pm, 7 days a week, until further notice. This will include half term Easter and the Summer holiday break. It will be done on a rota which hasn’t been finalised yet, and any intended holidays will have to be cancelled. The school is mixed abilities including special needs and has been nominated as a hub. This means they will also take in children of Key workers from other schools across the city. The staff do not have a problem with any of this and are totally devoted and committed. What they do have a problem with is parents who are not Key workers and who are still trying to send their kids into school because it is free child minding and free school dinners, while one or both parents sit at home or go about their daily lives as though nothing is happening. FFS get a grip spend some quality time with your kids and support the rest of society at this crucial time. Apologies rant over

Beggars belief there are some selfish non caring tw*%s out there that have the audacity to call themselves parents. My other half is a teacher in a poor inner city area. The staff have been told they will need to cover the School 7am until 7pm, 7 days a week, until further notice. This will include half term Easter and the Summer holiday break. It will be done on a rota which hasn’t been finalised yet, and any intended holidays will have to be cancelled. The school is mixed abilities including special needs and has been nominated as a hub. This means they will also take in children of Key workers from other schools across the city. The staff do not have a problem with any of this and are totally devoted and committed. What they do have a problem with is parents who are not Key workers and who are still trying to send their kids into school because it is free child minding and free school dinners, while one or both parents sit at home or go about their daily lives as though nothing is happening. FFS get a grip spend some quality time with your kids and support the rest of society at this crucial time. Apologies rant over
Thanks to your other half and thank goodness for the devoted teachers of the country.

The less said about those parents the better.

Why would anyone send their kids to school to go mingle with tons of other kids when they can stay at home. That makes zero sence, Mine will stay home if I get called out thats for sure!

Why would anyone send their kids to school to go mingle with tons of other kids when they can stay at home. That makes zero sence, Mine will stay home if I get called out thats for sure!
Sad isn’t it fella. Unfortunately freeloaders will take advantage of any situation.

I guess if they are not on a salary and need to go to work it could be a real problem if you have no child care. Luckily mine are old enough to want to bum around in their rooms but if this happened when they were younger I couldn’t have worked.
Now I sound like I’m justifying it, as I said before the less said the better

If I may offer a suggestion.

I fully appreciate there are some awful situations and stories on here about peoples financial crisis, some serious concerns about friends and families health and the dire situation we find ourselves in.

Having previously spent 16 years as a member of an emergency service, I've sadly had to deal with some pretty harrowing situations. I've cried once I've got home many times. I've held my head in my hands in bemusement frequently. I've investigated circumstances and punched numbers into equations of motion, only to discover just one second more, would have ment somebody would not have lost their life. I've screamed in my head WTF, so many times at utter disbelief at how bizarre twists of fate have ment the loss a life or lives. That's before having to knock on a door with my hat under with arm in respect of the deceased.

But one thing that's common in emergency services, forces and probably the NHS is often a dark sense of humour. It's a coping mechanism. It's a tried and tested way of stopping your head going to a dark place. Its helped pull me from the brink mentally in the past and probably made me stronger for it.

But I understand not everybody will see things in that sort of instatutional manner. Some will get it and understand. Some wont.
I think we should respect those who may find it insensitive and inappropriate.

Perhaps we should leave humour for now to this thread.

Boris Won’t Close This Pub

Those that choose to partake can visit. Those that dont wish, there's no need to look at the thread. As I say, just an idea in the hope of respecting everyone's thoughts and feelings.

Maybe Admin could give some direction on this.

Last edited:
The school I work in is an SEN school so we carry on as normal.
I am concerned about picking up the virus there (with all the stupidity that’s going on) and then passing it on to my father.

I agree to a point but if you and your wife work for NHS, Police, Fire service, Prison service etc you might not have that choice, you can't ship them off to Grand parents as we would in "normal times", the elderly must be protected, surely.
These are truly "first in a lifetime" circumstances for all of us, there are tough decisions to be made and if some kids have to go to school to keep our NHS and other critical services running, I don't see another way.
My wife is in education, she knows many parents who are both emergency services personnel.
I also agree with Ronnie, there are some appalling excuses for parents out there, thankfully in the minority.

I fully appreciate there are some awful situations and stories on here about peoples financial crisis, some serious concerns about friends and family health and the dire situation we find ourselves in.

Having previously spent 16 years as a member of an emergency service, I've sadly had to deal with some pretty harrowing situations. I've cried once I've got home many times. I've held my head in my hands in bemusement frequently. I've investigated circumstances and punched numbers into equations of motion, only to discover just one second more, would have ment somebody would not have lost their life. I've screamed in my head WTF, so many times at utter disbelief at how bizarre twists of fate have ment the loss a life or lives. That's before having to knock on a door with my hat under with arm in respect of the deceased.

But one thing that's common in emergency services, ex forces and probably the NHS is often a dark sense of humour. It's a coping mechanism. It's a tried and tested way of stopping your head going to a dark place. Its helped pull me from the brink mentally in the past and probably made me stronger for it.

But I understand not everybody will see things in that sort of instatutional manner. Some will get it and understand. Some wont.

Those that choose to partake can visit. Those that dont wish, there's no need to look at the thread. As I say, just an idea in the hope of respecting everyone's thoughts and feelings.
I’m ex military, dark humour gets you through a lot of situations

Thanks to your other half and thank goodness for the devoted teachers of the country.

The less said about those parents the better.
We are all doing our bit to help and as you say teachers are helping to support our over worked under funded NHS and rest of our guys ad girls that put there lives on the line....but it’s not just about social distancing it’s a about SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY of those that think the world owes them a free living ......Start taking responsibility !

it beggars belief that in what will be a game changer ......some people still take the P.ss

As a head teacher of a small rural school, I'm going in tomorrow as normal but wait to see how many more parents (more than the ones already signed up) turn up for free child care or worse FOMO. Parents worried their child might not be getting the same as those who do come to school. TBH quite excited in the sense that we can go back to basics, having some fun with the kids, keeping it practical and not be worrying that some jumped up Ofsted inspector will not like what we are doing.
Hopefully parents remember that this process is about social distancing therefore stay at home with their kids ensuring my staff stay safe and we can continue to support the ACTUAL KEY workers

As a head teacher of a small rural school, I'm going in tomorrow as normal but wait to see how many more parents (more than the ones already signed up) turn up for free child care or worse FOMO. Parents worried their child might not be getting the same as those who do come to school. TBH quite excited in the sense that we can go back to basics, having some fun with the kids, keeping it practical and not be worrying that some jumped up Ofsted inspector will not like what we are doing.
Hopefully parents remember that this process is about social distancing therefore stay at home with their kids ensuring my staff stay safe and we can continue to support the ACTUAL KEY workers
Well said Simon

As a Nurse as both mine and my partners 'full time' jobs - I can assure you all we are working as hard as we can to protect and look after people - but the public need to be absolutely towing the line regards isolating, staying away from each other otherwise our jobs are going to be impossible.

I fully appreciate there are some awful situations and stories on here about peoples financial crisis, some serious concerns about friends and families health and the dire situation we find ourselves in.

But one thing that's common in emergency services, ex forces and probably the NHS is often a dark sense of humour. It's a coping mechanism. It's a tried and tested way of stopping your head going to a dark place. Its helped pull me from the brink mentally in the past and probably made me stronger for it.

Maybe Admin could give some direction on this.

My partner and I are current, serving front line/front door Nurses, and I agree with you completely....... I hope the armchair brigade in general will take a leave of absence from being 'offended'.

Since the schools closed the Police have been very busy locally rounding up ferral kids that mum & dad cant be arsed to entertain (let alone 'teach').
I surprised one scrote thieving a crate of beer from my porch, christmas leftovers, I chased him up the drive all around the community center & across neighbours gardens,
he dropped his stash but I did eventually catch the little tw@ (I'm 65 he's 13) but in the end all you can do is scare the sh*t out of them.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we've lost all our boarding kennels bookings now. Zero income over summer and so none of the reserves we
depend on to get through winter :( I dont take a wage but for Roo & DIL Kez its their only income. Dunno whats going to happen, we're a
resourceful bunch but its not going to be easy :) Our accountant says dont worry its only money :):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the schools closed the Police have been very busy locally rounding up ferral kids that mum & dad cant be arsed to entertain (let alone 'teach').

We are lucky as our son is 16, so has no more school work to do, plus I've got him a job with a local builder until college starts in September. Our daughter is 14 and very conscientious when it comes to doing her online set school work, so no problems there.

We know many other families that are not able to drop everything, leave their jobs to entertain/teach their children. It's not a case of "can't be arsed" it's a case of this being dropped on all parents last week with no provisions put in place.

Back