Cosmetic Issue On Design Wheels

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Standard 'Design' wheels on my van have done about 10,000 miles. Already the silver paint is coming away from the dish part, aswell as the rim. Corrosion on the rim too. Not sure if VWC warranty will cover cosmetic wheel issues. It's not caused by damage. But clearly defective. It's booked for its first service in a couple of weeks so will see what they say about it at the dealer. Anyone else had the issue or had it resolved under warranty?

20180307_140742.jpg

What have the wheels been cleaned with? VW will argue that an aggressive product, not VW approved wheel cleaner, has been used.

Highly unlikely to get warranty on it.

Just been using triple wax car shampoo in a bucket of water. I use a lambs wool mitt on the bodywork and a sponge on the wheels. Bog standard stuff.

Make sure that you know what the VW recommended cleaning products are before you make a claim

Just saying like ;)

Got van back from its first service at the dealers yesterday. They've agreed to replace my rattling drivers airbag under warranty. But the paint work falling off the wheel. That's stone chip damage apparently.

They really do think folk are buttoned up the back. The girl on the desk claimed they'd been stung by VW on three separate occasions, where the dealer had replaced wheels and VW refused to reimburse them, claiming stone damage. So I've to contact VW customer services direct.

They said it hadn't had any software updates. Which came as a relief considering it's an M1 and in light of the recent emission issue.
However the first thing I noticed, was that the stop/start function was working straight from cold. Ambient air temperature was 12 degrees right enough.

The good news is that at 14600 miles, my rear brake discs appear to be corrosion free.:smile bounce:

Got van back from its first service at the dealers yesterday. They've agreed to replace my rattling drivers airbag under warranty. But the paint work falling off the wheel. That's stone chip damage apparently.

They really do think folk are buttoned up the back. The girl on the desk claimed they'd been stung by VW on three separate occasions, where the dealer had replaced wheels and VW refused to reimburse them, claiming stone damage. So I've to contact VW customer services direct.

They said it hadn't had any software updates. Which came as a relief considering it's an M1 and in light of the recent emission issue.
However the first thing I noticed, was that the stop/start function was working straight from cold. Ambient air temperature was 12 degrees right enough.

The good news is that at 14600 miles, my rear brake discs appear to be corrosion free.:smile bounce:
Did it get the software upgrade during this service?
If it did I would be interested if your mpg reduces.

The van was in at VW about 6 months ago for an aircon fault. They told me back then that they'd done an engine and gearbox software update while it was in.

Sadly I can't really say if this is responsible for poor fuel economy, as the weather has got a fair bit colder over the winter. I know my van has an auxiliary heater that kicks in at lower ambient temperatures. I also changed to winter tyres, which being softer in compound will probably not help fuel economy.

Will see if fuel economy improves over the summer.

Stone chip? Is that the best excuse they could muster. Tell VW cust service that you will commission an independent expert to determine the cause of the fault. And if it comes back as anything other than stone damage, they will be getting the bill.

When I bought my steels the silver paint was so thin I expected them to go like that so I just had them powder coated black instead.

I like the idea of powder coating
@Loz . Not sure if it could be done, given that they're steel and not alloy wheels, but wondered if polishing and then clear coating the outer rims, with the inner dish coated black would be viable. Diamond cut style. Similar look to these minilites....

Screenshot_20180322-072243.jpg

Just looking again at your photo, the black seems all concentrated in one place so unlikely to be stone chips, are you sure that's not Tar? Have you tried some tar remover on them?

The photo does make it look like tar, but it's the black undercoat that you can see. If you look closely at the very outer edge of the rim you can see the paint is failing there too and that the black undercoat is appearing all around. In fact there's rust on the rims outer edges. Thats coming through without any kerbing whatsoever. Like you say @Loz. Thin paint. Much cheapness.

Back