Coronavirus and Fuel Pumps

XZO

T6 Pro
This was sent to me by a friend - I cannot vouch for it but it makes sense to be careful anyway:

"Serious message. Yvonne who is Assistant Director of Nursing at QE Hospital has said they’ve had a message today that virus seems to be spreading quickly via petrol pumps so they advise to wear gloves when filling up or use paper towel and bin straight away. Can you please pass this around anyone you know. Could make huge difference".

This has turned out to be a hoax but it's still always a good idea to wear the gloves.

The virus survives for 3 days on ALL hard surfaces.

Wash your hands or use alcohol gel if you can’t whenever you touch anything before you touch your face etc!

You have to assume that any surface you touch outside of your home could have been touched by an infected person.
Therefore you have to work in cycles where you don’t touch your face until you have washed or sterilised your hands.
Once your back home and have washed your hands etc, then scratch your face or rub your eyes etc.

went to get fuel yesterday.
Got out of the car, removed fuel cap, got small jerry out of boot opened that(all parts in my sterile domain) then put a nitrile glove on right hand , grabbed pump and filled, returned pump, removed glove binned it, then put fuel cap back on, jerry away.
Mrs Loz went in and paid (used pin pad) came back to car used hand gel. I used the gel as well, then we are good to go and if I rub my eyes or touch my face unconsciously whist driving then I will be okay.
It all sounds a bit ocd, but right now we have to assume everything is hostile outside of our home domain.

My job means I have to touch controls that others have touched. They get wiped down with anti bacterial wipes first. However, I've taken to wearing surgical gloves for the whole shift. Sounds odd, but having them on your hands all day, actually stops me touching my face. Its like a constant reminder and so far for me, it works.

Bloody hell. Not crap on here too. How it can live on a petrol pump covered in petrol and deisel boggles the mind. More likely on the pay at pump keypad which is at sneeze height or on the cash people pay with!

They have said it can only last 4hrs on copper.

Last edited:
My Tuppence worth is gloves put up a false sense of security... does anyone gel or wash their gloves .. Touching multiple surfaces with contaminated gloves and not washing the bug away off their hands ... thinking i wore gloves i wont or don't need to wash my hands ...

so many reluctant people not wanting to throw the gloves away or change for a new fresh pair is further spreading the problem onto others , rather than use a damp bleached cloth or anti -bac wipe first.

And a reminder you only need a Capfull of bleach in a bucket of water .. any more is just a total waste and it wont clean any better but just strip color and damage your skin and equipment ( PH scale will show you ) skin is 5 clean plane water is 7 its already 100 times more Alkaline than your skin 8 is 1000 times stronger 9 is 10, 000 times bleach is a 12
( skin is already 100 times more acid than water if you work down the scale and 10 x each way )

Nick

My Tuppence worth is gloves put up a false sense of security... does anyone gel or wash their gloves .. Touching multiple surfaces with contaminated gloves and not washing the bug away off their hands ... thinking i wore gloves i wont or don't need to wash my hands ...

so many reluctant people not wanting to throw the gloves away or change for a new fresh pair is further spreading the problem onto others , rather than use a damp bleached cloth or anti -bac wipe first.

And a reminder you only need a Capfull of bleach in a bucket of water .. any more is just a total waste and it wont clean any better but just strip color and damage your skin and equipment ( PH scale will show you ) skin is 5 clean plane water is 7 its already 100 times more Alkaline than your skin 8 is 1000 times stronger 9 is 10, 000 times bleach is a 12
( skin is already 100 times more acid than water if you work down the scale and 10 x each way )

Nick

That's an interesting and informative read Nick. Have to say though, it doesn't reduce the amount of hand washing I do. But as a training tool and preventative measure for touching my face, it's been invaluable. I'm actually shocked how much I touched my face subconsciously each day.

I used to work in biotech facilities fully gowned up and I do like the idea of wearing gloves as it does stop you touching your face or you at least think twice about it. But it’s definitely not an alternative to washing etc.

The other thing about this is that if you wear gloves all day every day your hands start falling apart. I used to go in in the morning and only come out when the job was done (wouldn’t be able to do this now as I would need to come out for a pee every 20mins!) and after a week or so of doing that your hands look like a dead persons!

Bloody hell. Not crap on here too. How it can live on a petrol pump covered in petrol and deisel boggles the mind. More likely on the pay at pump keypad which is at sneeze height or on the cash people pay with!

They have said it can only last 4hrs on copper.
The scientists say the virus can live on surfaces for 72 hours,
The pump handles were clean and had no petrol or diesel on them to kill the virus as I expect the garage is cleaning them, but they are not cleaning them between users.
so as your not a scientist, I'll ignore your advise and carry on with my precautions.

Back