Coolant consumption - EGR cooler broken? [Resolved]

Hello All,

I hope you are doing well.

I'm writing to you because I'm facing out into a coolant problem... For a month I experimented with coolant consumption in My VW T6 Multivan 2.0TDI DSG 4Motion, (CXFA).

I got the red light alarm with the message "coolant low" 4 times... the first two times were very spaced, but the last two were very close in time... also this two last times I felt some strange behaviors when I ran the first meters, and a lot of white smoke during more or less 15 minutes.

I'm suspecting that I have a broken EGR cooler module, and I'm thinking to bypass the coolant egr pipes and turning off the EGR.

Could you please provide me with some tips on how to do that, please? I searched a lot through the forum but I didn't find about this specific tutorial... Can you recommend to me which tube can I use to joint those tubes? And how to turn off the EGR through VAGCOM?

Thank you very much In Advance!

Hello Again, could anyone help me to know if my problem is related to the EGR-Cooler? How can I test it? I want to discard it... Thank you!

It could be the EGR cooler or a head gasket.

Have you tried disconnecting the EGR coolant pipes and pressure testing the EGR coolant side?

Thank you Loz for your comments, It's a very good idea to test the pressure of the EGR radiator! I thought to bypass the pipes of the EGR cooler, and test during the week if the coolant consumption stops, but I read in another forum that this is dangerous, because in some cases the EGR caught fire!

Which is the best way to test the pressure? Some ideas? Maybe covering the exit pipe, and introducing air with an air compressor from the entrance pipe?

Thanks a lot!

Why not use a proper coolant pressure tester on the reservoir?
Clamp off both pipes and see if the pressure holds or not?

I wouldn't use a compressor to pressurise the cooler matrix as you are likely to damage it.

Hello, sorry for my delay in answering.

Finally, the problem was the EGR cooler. In fact, I bought a new version through the Automotive Ronald Morien Webshop (half price than others!), you cannot find the old ref either the new one in ETKA...

I did not need to perform any test because was obvious the water inside the exhaust pipes of the EGR cooler....
1651577486491.png

These are the references:
04L131512T(old-obsolete)
04L131512TX(old-obsolete)
04L131512CF(new improved version)

;) I'm grateful for your help.
Can you add your poll?

Back