Converting one of the last TSI's (but not the last TSI)! My build thread

Last edited:
The dark side:
PXL_20201123_183550982.MP~3.jpg
The light side: (mirror puddle and door puddle lighting)
PXL_20201123_183458710.MP.jpg
Will be great for setting up camp, especially with the wing mirrors folded up

Last day on stilts today, suspension goes on tomorrow, and tyres on order for the 20" wheels. So here's the tatty ex-Avis look one last time. Ride height pics for my reference (unladen T28 on 16" steel wheels)

PXL_20201125_120602222.jpg
PXL_20201125_222519007.jpgPXL_20201125_222532279.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Last day on stilts today, suspension goes on tomorrow, and tyres on order for the 20" wheels. So here's the tatty ex-Avis look one last time. Ride height pics for my reference (unladen T28 on 16" steel wheels)

View attachment 93072
View attachment 93074View attachment 93075
Worth measuring from centre of wheel to wheel arch too, that way you know exactly how much of the ride height change is due to suspension change and how much is due to the wheel change.

Worth measuring from centre of wheel to wheel arch too, that way you know exactly how much of the ride height change is due to suspension change and how much is due to the wheel change.
Thanks, will do. I'm not doing them at the same time, so will be able to tell anyway

Looks like they dropped 40mm on the front, as expected, but only 20-25mm at the back - that's unladen as a panel van. I take it that when loaded, the front will be stiffer and not drop much at all, and the back is softer and will then come down to match?

It's H&R -40mm springs and Koni Active Shocks (in @CRS Performance red)

20201127_131324-COLLAGE.jpg

Meanwhile, its money well spent - it was immediately obvious how planted and stable the van was compared to before. Will post pics in daylight

Last edited:
Black friday has pushed me into the territory of the original Sports Package body kit:

EDIT: and a little mod which has made quite a difference to the feel of the doors:

PXL_20201202_144144154.jpg

Last edited:
How did you do these Andy? Have you done a how to guide?
You’ve done so much to your van in a short space of time. Good one.
Will write a guide in time, just ironing out a wiring problem before I recommend doing it. The components are particularly cheap but process hard

I'm really enjoying your build thread. I love it when someone is determined to find the right way to do something to get things just right, but is then happy to share the detail with the forum community to help others who might want to be doing the same thing. Nice work.

Looks like they dropped 40mm on the front, as expected, but only 20-25mm at the back - that's unladen as a panel van. I take it that when loaded, the front will be stiffer and not drop much at all, and the back is softer and will then come down to match?

It's H&R -40mm springs and Koni Active Shocks (in @CRS Performance red)

View attachment 93203

Meanwhile, its money well spent - it was immediately obvious how planted and stable the van was compared to before. Will post pics in daylight
To answer your question, yes, the rear will definitely come down a bit once you add some more weight.

I'm really enjoying your build thread. I love it when someone is determined to find the right way to do something to get things just right, but is then happy to share the detail with the forum community to help others who might want to be doing the same thing. Nice work.

I couldn’t agree more! Well said

Last edited:
Finally out and about, and what better vehicle to buy a Christmas tree in? Still waiting for my painter to have a slot to sort out the dents from its previous life.

PXL_20201205_150250626.jpg

Obligatory Christmas pic :cool:

PXL_20201205_175359624.NIGHT~2.jpg

Last edited:
EM1 Driver alert system [the warning that tells you to take a break? If not, it’ll likely be related to emergency city braking]
I triggered the emergency braking yesterday. Someone in a Maserati was turning onto a side road and for some reason they did it veerrryyy slooowwwwllly so I ended up quite close as they left the carriageway, close enough that the van decided braking was what I should be doing. It was very brief, presumably as the car did clear the front of the van within a blink. The dash showed a graphic and I felt a judder through the brake pedal.

Oh, and finally checked and I do have a spare wheel. Haven't done the spare wheel lock hack yet

Wow what a difference those wheels and suspension have made, it looks like a totally different van. :thumbsup:

What are the wheels btw?

Wow what a difference those wheels and suspension have made, it looks like a totally different van. :thumbsup:

What are the wheels btw?
All explained here:

The other side of the van is still full panel van, so not so much of a change, but the window on the nearside sliding door with blacked out B-pillar is the trick to really change the look to a family camper, IMHO.

On the T7 they've gone further and the A-pillar is black (and split+glazed), following the design cues from other recent VWs like the ID range : vw id3 - Google Search

UPDATE: PXL_20201213_113300693~2.jpg
PXL_20201213_113243979.jpg
More details here: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/side-skirts-sill-covers.20511/post-328266

Last edited:
PXL_20201214_210211019~2.jpg
Night shot, just before I shorted out my interior light fuse :rolleyes: I folded the mirrors up with the remote and the lights flickered and went off. Popped off the mirror cover and realised that I hadn't insulated the blade connectors on the puddle light. Quick bit of insulating and a quicker search on the forum to identify the fuse to replace and all is well again ;)

UPDATE: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/panamericana-front-rear-sill-protectors.1095/post-330090

Last edited:
Back