Converting one of the last TSI's (but not the last TSI)! My build thread

Well... there are some options following VW's latest trends: (ignoring the sill decals)

1. Edition 30 blacked out roof + blacked out A and D pillars.
2. Blacked out A and D pillars - Range Rover/Mini style.
3. Black topped two-tone.
4. California pop-top in white/do nothing).
View attachment 119169
And the winner is
Number 2
20220428_093214-COLLAGE.jpg
But with white D-pillar, with decal design details:
Screenshot_20220428-091002.png
Screenshot_20220428-091249~2.png

Instagram wax...

PXL_20220506_132854579.MP.jpg

I fitted the Vanstyle B-pillar gloss black trims at lunchtime as the decal version off ebay don't stretch when heated so got messed up when I tried to apply them. The trims are still a bad fit so I had to trim them even more to avoid tearing them off every time I opened the driver's door...they seem to assume some cavernous shut-gap for the trims to sit in.

In other news, we've tested the Quest Screenhouse vehicle connector with our 6 Pro and , after modifying the zips to create an insert pin, it works. Also added a Funky Leisure 6mm-6mm driveaway kit to use with the awning rail from the same source.

PXL_20220503_190537077.MP~2.jpg

Just got to find the resolve (and painkillers) to fit the Van-X curtains now, and finish the box of sound deadening...

Instagram wax...

View attachment 155664

I fitted the Vanstyle B-pillar gloss black trims at lunchtime as the decal version off ebay don't stretch when heated so got messed up when I tried to apply them. The trims are still a bad fit so I had to trim them even more to avoid tearing them off every time I opened the driver's door...they seem to assume some cavernous shut-gap for the trims to sit in.

In other news, we've tested the Quest Screenhouse vehicle connector with our 6 Pro and , after modifying the zips to create an insert pin, it works. Also added a Funky Leisure 6mm-6mm driveaway kit to use with the awning rail from the same source.

View attachment 155665

Just got to find the resolve (and painkillers) to fit the Van-X curtains now, and finish the box of sound deadening...
That’s a lovely looking van now Andy. From humble basic van beginnings, great things can be created!

@Andysmee great thread. Not seen it before. That’s one of the few 2 tone vans that I like. It looks stunning.
I notice early in the thread you’d considered the Vanmax pop top. I’ve had mine fitted for over 18 months now and I’m a big fan. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

If last year was about the outside (and engine) then this year is about the inside, and we're holding out for a pop-top before the summer's out... (hence the unfinished ceiling)

PXL_20220519_192422333.jpg

I put the fairy lights up to cheer myself up halfway through the b*****d curtains!

PXL_20220529_082809818.MP.jpg

Last edited:
All quiet from me, like so many forum members once conversion is completed, but building up to adding the pop-up.

Despite my best efforts for over a year, I cannot persuade Vanmax poptops to provide my converter of choice, Berkshire Campers, with sufficient information to enable them to take an order for a Vanmax poptop from me. I've even trolled vanmax on their social media and got a response and they still don't seem to be willing to enable a new converter to sell their roofs... a strange business strategy, if you ask me.

So I'll have to go with plan B and use HVR Customs to quote me. They are only plan B as they are much further away, so will cost a tank of fuel and two cars, or train fare, to get the job done, but they have a good reputation.

In the meantime, the van is our daily drive for the school run, bike clubs, metal detecting etc. The back swallows up four bikes regularly without needing to plan, and the Karndean floor seems impervious to everything, not a scratch in spite of various sharp pedals, spades and other abuse.

I still need to swap the bottom roller on the sliding door (EDIT: now done Post in thread '[GUIDE] How to remove a sliding door on a T6' [GUIDE] How to remove a sliding door on a T6) and have some other little jobs to finish, but it's a workhorse now and great to drive. And the aftermarket led headlights have amazing for the price... easily worth the reduction in DAB reception which is a slight annoyance.

Last edited:
And now... The pop top is ready to fit. Watch this space...

Another long stint finding the right parts and the right partner (waiting long enough to escape a fate with HiLo) Berkshire Campers came through and fitted their third VanMax roof and we were the grateful customer. They are working on a bi-fold bed board to fit after Easter (we're first with that ask) while we figure out what lighting we want.

20230406_140535-COLLAGE.jpg
Before and after:
20230406_141220-COLLAGE.jpg
Inside is a work in progress.

20230406_210355-COLLAGE~2.jpg

And to top it off I went in a car park with a height restriction of 2.1 meters today.

PXL_20230408_135643128.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Little update for my own records... I've finished the rear bed frame and used it: Post in thread 'Cali conversions - what did you use for a 'multiflex board' to make the seat into a bed? And toppers' Cali conversions - what did you use for a 'multiflex board' to make the seat into a bed? And toppers
I did a very similar conversion to my 2019 TSI DSG LWB (April though) and put LWB caravelle rails in and a Cali ocean 2/3 width seat/ bed.

As I need to be able to put my motorbike in the back and not take the bed extension out I made my own 2/3 version of the OEM caravelle multiflex board. All the parts are OEM so it looks like it came out the factory, even tried to copy the terrible factory MIG welding even though I would rather have TIG'ed it.

Mat

Somehow only just read through this thread.

Done a lovely job on it mate. Looks mint that! Great write up as well :thumbsup:

Back