Converting one of the last TSI's (but not the last TSI)! My build thread

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
:cool: I can't be certain but my T6 must be one of the last TSI PV deliveries in the UK - it was registered on 18th March 2019. So I thought it would make a catchy build thread title, and I'll keep it until proven otherwise!

So, I'm starting with an untidy ex-Avis/Budget rental van, specifically it's a TRANSPORTER T28 SWB PETROL - 2.0 TSI BMT 150 Trendline Van on a 19 plate. It's done a healthy 30k, perfect for conversion.

What to do first, I wonder?

Unladen it's already great fun to drive, so much more my style than the diesel. I drove the petrol and diesel 150's back-to-back (I know, how!? but I did) and the diesel just felt and sounded like I had rented a van to move house, whereas the petrol didn't. And it rewards you when you push it and is quiet when you don't.

I'm letting go of my 530d Touring for this so maybe a remap is on the cards! I'm going to be driving it all the time so it has to deliver, and no, mpg is not important.

So are you going Day Van or Popping the roof / Full Camper?

This is my 3 year since swapping from car to van as daily drive, and fair to say that I don't miss the car at all. It's hit the wallet as I didn't buy it thinking that I'd ever use it as a camper, so some of the early modifications / changes, then got changed again and again:rolleyes:

As it's a blank canvass, as you put it, its a good starting point and there's lots of things that you can do to make it unique to you. Have fun!

So are you going Day Van or Popping the roof / Full Camper?

This is my 3 year since swapping from car to van as daily drive, and fair to say that I don't miss the car at all. It's hit the wallet as I didn't buy it thinking that I'd ever use it as a camper, so some of the early modifications / changes, then got changed again and again:rolleyes:

As it's a blank canvass, as you put it, its a good starting point and there's lots of things that you can do to make it unique to you. Have fun!
Thanks, it'll be full-on camper, but might take more than a season to get there. First stage is to make it the "car" I want to get in and drive, even on a frosty morning. I'm not starting with a Highline, so not the best start, but good value and it does have a/c. The money saved will go on things to make it desirable to drive, suspension and paint, mainly.

Now discovered some more features that I have, courtesy of the van's factory build sheet (did I mention VIP Membership, and how great it is, yet?). Here's some notable ones, I guess Trendline standard:

• Built on the 22nd January 2019 [a Tuesday van!]
  • 6XP Exterior mirrors, power-folding/adjustable, separately heated
  • 6K2 Forward collision warning incl. autonomous emergency braking, without adaptive cruise control
  • 6FF Exterior mirror housings and various add-on parts in body color [except the mirrors I actually have are not!]
  • 1AS Electronic stability control (ESC)
  • 5CL Roof trim in cab as comfort headliner, in load compartment with hardboard
  • 2G1 Insert for the filling up of unleaded fuel [so I can't get that wrong :) ]
  • 7X1 Park distance control [rear parking sensors, presumably]
  • 8K1 Separate daytime running light [i.e. front sidelights are always on]
  • 7H0 Without speed limiter [hooray!]
  • 8T2 Electronic cruise control system (CCS) [controlled from a stalk, no MFSW]
  • G0K 6-speed manual transmission
  • 3RD Rear wing door without window aperture
  • 9AP Climatic air-conditioning system (semi-automatic) [that's thermostatic temperature, but doesn't vary the fan speed]
  • 1W0 Without refrigerator/glove compartment cooling system
  • 3J6 Narrow head restraints, height-adjust. [does that mean that there are wide ones?] EDIT: no it means skinny, see [GUIDE] Which headrest matches my seat?
  • 5K0 Without surface protection, with additional transport protection measures [this is under paint. What's this?]
  • 7P6 Manually adjustable lumbar support for right front seat
  • 8RE 4 speakers (passive) [useful to know no crossovers or anything?]
  • EM1 Driver alert system [what's that?]
  • DM2 4-cylinder SI engine 2.0 l/110 kW (16V) turbo FSI, homogeneous base engine is TR6
  • I6V MIB2 Entry PQ radio
  • 9JA Non smoker version [not sure what difference that makes?]
  • 1G2 Steel spare wheel with original equipment tire [not discovered that yet]
  • QL3 Heat-insulating glass (green)
  • QI6 Service indicator 30 000 km or 2 years ( variable )
  • 5D1 Carrier frequency for remote control is 433.92 - 434.42 MHz
If anyone can answer any of the questions, that would be great!

Last edited:
  • EM1 Driver alert system [the warning that tells you to take a break? If not, it’ll likely be related to emergency city braking]
  • 9JA Non smoker version [i think this just means you don’t get any cigarette lighter coils in the sockets, just the plastic 12v cover caps]

Your spare wheel should be under the back - unless it’s been nicked, which seems quite common.

Your spare wheel should be under the back - unless it’s been nicked, which seems quite common.
Damn it, I keep forgetting to check! In for a service this week, so I'll check then.

In the meantime we've replaced 4 out of 5 of the doors with clean ones, so getting much tidier now. The sliding door has a window too, so bulkhead is off and a rear view mirror is on order. Still has some bodywork to be done before it's back to good condition.

My-costa-azul.png
Have found a bodyshop who can do two-tone paint at a reasonable price and so back on VW paint colours, rather than wrap. This is an approximation of Costa Azul. Ignore the side skirts and bumper protectors as that is too much money and unnecessary. I've added my 20" wheels, although the rear has a camber problem :)

Edit: or... go to the dark side, BMW Snapper Rocks Blue? But it may be a 3 stage paint? Or Mazda Celestial Blue? Seat Azul Alor Blue? BMW Long Beach Blue? Audi Hainan Blue? Citroen Belle Ile Blue? Honda Cerulean Blue? Vauxhall Adam Let it blue? Peugeot Vertigo Blue? Renault Alpine A110 Blue? Alfa Romeo Misano blue?

Wheels are now on: Land Rover Discovery alloys on a T28

Edit: Here's a test: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-van-today.6825/post-358614

Last edited:
Damn it, I keep forgetting to check! In for a service this week, so I'll check then.

In the meantime we've replaced 4 out of 5 of the doors with clean ones, so getting much tidier now. The sliding door has a window too, so bulkhead is off and a rear view mirror is on order. Still has some bodywork to be done before it's back to good condition.
Hi. Do you mind if I ask where you ordered your rear view mirror from? I’m a new owner of a T6.1 and not sure which one I need. Thanks

View attachment 90023
Have found a bodyshop who can do two-tone paint at a reasonable price and so back on VW paint colours, rather than wrap. This is an approximation of Costa Azul. Ignore the side skirts and bumper protectors as that is too much money and unnecessary. I've added my 20" wheels, although the rear has a camber problem :)

Edit: or... go to the dark side, BMW Snapper Rocks Blue? But it may be a 3 stage paint? Or Mazda Celestial Blue? Seat Alor Blur?
That looks great Andy.

Back