Converting my Shuttle to a Camper

Davelh

Hi guys I'm new here I have just bought a t6 shuttle my plan is to turn it into a camper first I want to up my spec as my van is a SE I would like some advice on buying and fitting a reverse camera and sensors and multifunction steering please ?

You need to take extra care with converting Shuttles they have some plus and negative points over panel vans

LOL. It's the same van underneath, with the addition of rear quarter windows.
The only bit that needs sorting is capping the rear aircon feed, if you have one. There is more to strip out to start, but then there is more to sell to go towards the build.

I got the dealer to fit factory sensors front and rear. £595 + vat all hooked into the head units park pilot. Cheapest I could find at the time.
They will also do MFSW for £695 +vat. I elected to sort this myself, but I may still regret that as it is a pita.
Camera, talk to someone like Absolute5 in Salisbury.
Other thing the shuttle doesn't come with unless it was specced in is auto light switch (£17-25) and folding mirrors (£695 diy or £795 +vat at dealer)
I've found the aftermarket suppliers often more expensive that dealers, so if you plan to have others do the work, always check the dealer. Where are you based?

Well done on saving yourself a fortune over the ridiculous Kombi prices currently being asked.

Oh, welcome to the forum.
We also like pictures on here.
And don't forget to join a 'colour team'!

I was told only one roof fits the Shuttle by Slidepod, the fact that you may have airbag seats that means the swivel seat can cause issues.

loads of pros as well like glass already in and M1 rated for speed, car MOTs etc etc

You make a fair point about airbags in the seats. I’ll need to check mine as I have no idea if I even have them. Plan to have passenger swivelling only.

I’d be surprised about the roof though. Only difference is twin sliding door, but if the roof fits one side, it’ll fit the other as they are not asymmetric. Worth looking into though, but pop top is not on my ‘to do’ list.

I went with a Shuttle as I had no need for the roof at the time - but was surprised to hear only one fits?
Must be a headliner issue but I’m not sure?

Swivel double is a pain, so I’m doing drivers side now and to be fair the Shuttle has a folding front that looks set up as a table so that might work in my favour. Double sliders is another bonus.

Not sure how you can tell if you have the aircon rear I’m guessing mine doesn’t or it’d be obvious

If you have airbag tags on the seats you’ll know.

if you have the yellow connector under the seats that’s another give away

Not sure how you can tell if you have the aircon rear I’m guessing mine doesn’t or it’d be obvious
If you have twin digital temp displays in the front then you have got rear aircon as well, with just buttons in the overhead panel above the middle row of seats. If you don’t have the digital display in the front then your rear will just blow ambient air at its coolest setting but does also heat, you would have rotary dials above the middle row of seats.

Hi guys I'm new here I have just bought a t6 shuttle my plan is to turn it into a camper first I want to up my spec as my van is a SE I would like some advice on buying and fitting a reverse camera and sensors and multifunction steering please ?
My shuttle has an Austops roof fitted and diesel donkey has a lowlife carbon roof fitted so you do have options if you ever need one , myself and diesel donkey kept our rear a/c unit .my shuttle didn't come with sliding windows on the rear slider so it's great to have air circulation in the rear for passengers so if you can keep it in then ad highly recommend it but if for some reason you have a rear slider window then I would say it would by fine to get rid of the a/c unit if it's stoping you for space but again if you can keep it then big bonus , I don't have a build thread but diesel donkey does so Al try and post his link up and ye can have a look buddy ✌️

Hopefully this link works lol

My shuttle has an Austops roof fitted and diesel donkey has a lowlife carbon roof fitted so you do have options if you ever need one , myself and diesel donkey kept our rear a/c unit .my shuttle didn't come with sliding windows on the rear slider so it's great to have air circulation in the rear for passengers so if you can keep it in then ad highly recommend it but if for some reason you have a rear slider window then I would say it would by fine to get rid of the a/c unit if it's stoping you for space but again if you can keep it then big bonus , I don't have a build thread but diesel donkey does so Al try and post his link up and ye can have a look buddy ✌
any chance of posting a pic of how your roof is finished on the inside please?

I went with a Shuttle as I had no need for the roof at the time - but was surprised to hear only one fits?
Must be a headliner issue but I’m not sure?

Swivel double is a pain, so I’m doing drivers side now and to be fair the Shuttle has a folding front that looks set up as a table so that might work in my favour. Double sliders is another bonus.

I've no idea what you are talking about only one roof fits, who told you that? Rat them out as I hate it when people spread rubbish.
Its got the same roof as any other van. The headlining can be ripped out. Even if it has a sunroof it can have pretty much any roof fitted.

Also almost everyone has airbags fitted to their van seats nowadays, easy as pie to fit a swivel with airbags. There is absolutely nothing to be scared about, I think some one has been giving you some negative ju ju. Its a transporter, theres not much that cannot be done.... especially with Pauly and the guys on the group. I am dreading the day the guys get hold of a full on electric T10 or whatever it is, the thing will pull wheelies. :laugh:

Get it done and enjoy being able to be classed as a car
:cool:

20200706_200613_resized.jpg

koooooj.jpg

Last edited:
I dont have a double swivel, Mines a captains and swivels which does have side airbags in the seats. You can get the doube seat swivel bases. The seats are still the same, the air bag wiring goes through the swivel base. There is plenty of cable on the airbag wiring, you may just need to free it up a little.
Something like that should not stop play with a conversion, I am sure others might be able to jump in and confirm how they done or did not do their double swivels.
Worst case if I had to extend the cables to fit a swivel I would. Or you could do the resister trick and not have the airbags connected but thats the last resort I would say.

Back