Converting Kombi For Bed

Tommy

T6 Guru
Hi all

After some thoughts on adding bed/table to my kombi van. The van is used for work/leisure travel (don’t carry anything in rear at all). Like the idea of a bed and table so I could go on a jolly some weekends and sleep in van.

I popped into a converter local to me who gave me a couple of ideas ie fixed bed, rock and roll bed 2k and even one on rail system which looks very versatile however adding about 2k extra for the rails etc so some food for thought. However the guy mentioned about going upstairs with a pop up roof which would be about 4k, would this be a useful feature ie sleeping upstairs as opposed to below thus saving on a bed and space below. The cost would be similar to rock and roll (rail system) so got me thinking now, any opinions/ideas most welcome

I think it’s personal preference and there are pros and cons to each way depending on how you anticipate using the van ?

:thumbsup: think I’ll try and see local vw dealer to try and get a first hand idea of what a popup is like

Do you need to use the rear seats whilst moving (eg kids)?

If no, you could look at a side seat layout that converts to bed. Lot cheaper than a R&R and quite space efficient - pretty useless if you need the seats when driving tho.

I wanted an easily removable bed so I can pop it in when I want to sleep, but can pull out when I need to use the back of the van.

I've ordered on of these as it seems to hit the need exactly. VW T5 & T6 Kombi Bed | Dorset | Wessex Vans

For £1100 quid it's good value compared to some others.

I've got one of those too, very sturdy indeed, I need a topper on mine otherwise I don't find it comfy to sleep on. Better than an R+R in some ways and cheaper, Exploria do something similar too.

I wanted an easily removable bed so I can pop it in when I want to sleep, but can pull out when I need to use the back of the van.

I've ordered on of these as it seems to hit the need exactly. VW T5 & T6 Kombi Bed | Dorset | Wessex Vans

For £1100 quid it's good value compared to some others.

I also wanted a table - So i've gone for one of these.

LOC8 Table System VW T5 & T6 Vans | iCamper Solutions

Toad, thanks for the links. Liking the table choice and need to take a closer look at the bed, is it relatively easy to assemble/disassemble ?

Do you need to use the rear seats whilst moving (eg kids)?

If no, you could look at a side seat layout that converts to bed. Lot cheaper than a R&R and quite space efficient - pretty useless if you need the seats when driving tho.

Yes would be handy to have the option of using seats so guessing the fixed bed type would not be so versatile for that function, thanks

I've got one of those too, very sturdy indeed, I need a topper on mine otherwise I don't find it comfy to sleep on. Better than an R+R in some ways and cheaper, Exploria do something similar too.

Thanks, just checked Exploria site and some nice looking day van conversions, the seats on rails look great but at a premium I think

Toad, thanks for the links. Liking the table choice and need to take a closer look at the bed, is it relatively easy to assemble/disassemble ?

The bed comes apart into 9 sections making it easy to store out of the van - or so they say......... I don't collect it until next Friday, and I'll find out then!

£99-00-bed-that-fits-a-swb-kombi-perfectly.8796
Check this thread. Cheap but seems to do the job. We are camping at Octoberfest and @Dannyb6467 will be there so plan on having a good look at this as I have similar requirements to you and this could be perfect. And only £99. Cheap as chips.
M'lord
We can't make Oktoberfest mate. I'm recovering from a operation but a lot slower than anticipated. I can't walk too well at the moment.
Why don't you come to our house one of the days?

The bed comes apart into 9 sections making it easy to store out of the van - or so they say......... I don't collect it until next Friday, and I'll find out then!

Thanks and look forward to how you get along

M'lord
We can't make Oktoberfest mate. I'm recovering from a operation but a lot slower than anticipated. I can't walk too well at the moment.
Why don't you come to our house one of the days?
Shame you can't be there but wishing you a speed recovery.
We'll sort something out with me popping over once you're feeling better.
Take care

Thats actually looks solid and well built and very reasonable price :thumbsup:

They’re really good. Got one in the back of my van. I leave it in all the time and use it as a parcel shelf either full size or folded back.

When you fold down the Kombi seats it’s flush with them giving you a really big bed. Bought a couple of 10cm self inflating mats and you’ve got a really comfy solid bed and a lot cheaper than the others mentioned (alarm from the IKEA bed!).

They’re really good. Got one in the back of my van. I leave it in all the time and use it as a parcel shelf either full size or folded back.

When you fold down the Kombi seats it’s flush with them giving you a really big bed. Bought a couple of 10cm self inflating mats and you’ve got a really comfy solid bed and a lot cheaper than the others mentioned (alarm from the IKEA bed!).

TheSpiv: Liking this idea, any pictures most welcome :thumbsup:

Back